Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: My updated website  (Read 1412 times)

PeterAit

• Peter Aitken Photographs
My updated website
« on: July 06, 2013, 03:59:15 pm »

I have changed the photos on the home page, done some design work, edited the portfolios, both removing and adding photos, and a few other things. Comments and constructive criticism are welcome. Thank you.

http://www.peteraitken.com/

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
    • http://myrvaagnes.com
Re: My updated website
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2013, 05:50:42 pm »

Your website is clean, uncluttered, easy to navigate, and you have lots of fine images. I wouldn't change anything.
It's good that you give the pixel peepers a chance to read about your equipment, without forcing it on others who may only be interested in your personal info.

Jeremy will probably complain that he can't navigate to "next" and "previous" images using keyboard arrow keys, but that is a minor quibble, IMHO.

Eric M.
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

Tonysx

« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2013, 07:50:07 pm »

One comment. Very nice, clean and easy to navigate. Oh. another comment... When I click on the Nicaraguaimage on your home page, it provides a description - "looking west etc.".  Perhaps images in your folios could also supply a brief description?
‘Be you ever so high, the law

Harald L

« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2013, 01:10:14 pm »

I've just visited your site on my iPad and I am quite disappointed:

- Your pages don't fit whitout scrolling in the tabbed safari-window
- You can't go back from any picture to your home-page
- The layout over-emphasizes the column-title and your name (which costs precious windows-hight)
- Tabbing on a picture doesn't lead to the next/previous picture
- The home-page ist somewhat misleading: you don't expect any funktions behind the text but behind the pictures
- tabbing on a picture on the home-page opens a new tab which is never a good idea

I believe any website nowadays should shine on tablets, your's doesn't. Your nice pictures deserve better.

Harald

PS: Please don't visit my website because all the things I've criticized (and much more) will be demonstrated on it. It's a working-area for years. :-(
« Last Edit: July 07, 2013, 01:34:08 pm by Harlem22 »
Glad to be an amateur

William Walker

• William Walker Landscapes
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2013, 01:20:37 pm »

Your website is clean, uncluttered, easy to navigate, and you have lots of fine images. I wouldn't change anything.
It's good that you give the pixel peepers a chance to read about your equipment, without forcing it on others who may only be interested in your personal info.

Eric M.

I agree with Eric (+1?)!!
"What can be asserted without evidence can also be dismissed without evidence." Christopher Hitchens

PeterAit

• Peter Aitken Photographs
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2013, 01:38:03 pm »

Thank you, Harald, for your thoughtful reply. I don't understand some of your comments, however.

The portfolios themselves are created by Lightroom. I have neither the knowledge or interest to create these myself. So, I have no control over things like going back to the home page or "tabbing" from one photo to the next. What LR produces is what it is (and pretty good, I think).

I don't know what you mean by "tabbing." Do you mean "clicking" (with the mouse)?

As for opening the home page photos in a new window, I think this is important and it was intentional. The home page and the photo remain on-screen.

Anyway, thanks for replying.

Harald L

« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2013, 01:58:13 pm »

Thank you, Harald, for your thoughtful reply. I don't understand some of your comments, however.

The portfolios themselves are created by Lightroom. I have neither the knowledge or interest to create these myself. So, I have no control over things like going back to the home page or "tabbing" from one photo to the next. What LR produces is what it is (and pretty good, I think).

I don't know what you mean by "tabbing." Do you mean "clicking" (with the mouse)?

As for opening the home page photos in a new window, I think this is important and it was intentional. The home page and the photo remain on-screen.

Anyway, thanks for replying.

OK, I didn't know that your web-site is straight from Lightroom. Indeed, this will limit your options compared to web-sites made by wordpress et al.

Tabbing is the acronym for a mouse-click on a tablet-computer. It is "learned" that tabbing on the left side of a picture leads one picture back while tabbing on the right side will proceed.

I know that it's your web-site and it's your decision, but I will try another approach to persuade you out of opening a new window within a web-site. Some users don't use tabbed browsers and it's quite inconvenient for them to return to the home-page.
Glad to be an amateur
Pages: [1]   Go Up