Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Lightroom 5 hot issues  (Read 45768 times)

Robert-Peter Westphal

• Nature-Photography Westphal
Lightroom 5 hot issues
« on: July 06, 2013, 08:27:00 am »

Hello,

as can be seen here Lightroom 5 hot issues, there are some issues around Lightroom 5 that have a big impact on the daily work with this software.

These issues have been recognized and confirmed at June 12th, 2013.

So I'm wondering why there are no hotfixes available after that long time. Does that mean that we will have to wait until the official 5.1 release to have a fix for these issues ?

Hoping for a fast update - especially the no sharpening and noise-reduction issue for images equal or less 1/3 of the size !

Robert

'visit my completly renewed gallery at http://www.naturfotografie-westphal.com '

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
Re: Lightroom 5 hot issues
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2013, 08:30:57 am »

Hi,

Calm down, things take time. You need to identify the problem, find a solution, fix and retest.

Best regards
Erik

Hello,

as can be seen here Lightroom 5 hot issues, there are some issues around Lightroom 5 that have a big impact on the daily work with this software.

These issues have been recognized and confirmed at June 12th, 2013.

So I'm wondering why there are no hotfixes available after that long time. Does that mean that we will have to wait until the official 5.1 release to have a fix for these issues ?

Hoping for a fast update - especially the no sharpening and noise-reduction issue for images equal or less 1/3 of the size !

Robert

Erik Kaffehr

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2013, 08:41:01 am »

... things take time. You need to identify the problem, find a solution, fix and retest.

Once upon a time... these things were done before money changed hands ;)
« Last Edit: July 06, 2013, 06:33:32 pm by Slobodan Blagojevic »

jferrari

« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2013, 08:54:50 am »

<snarkyness> It's only money. You should focus more on the fact that Adobe has bestowed upon you the honor and privilege of being one of their beta testers. </snarkyness>
Nothing changes until something changes.

Robert-Peter Westphal

« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2013, 08:55:24 am »

Hi,

Calm down, things take time. You need to identify the problem, find a solution, fix and retest.

Best regards
Erik

Hello Erik,

sorry, I'm not upset ! To be honest, I'm very satisfied with Lightroom 5, cause it gave me back the allmost performance of Lightroom 3 on my machines.

But, I was hoping for some information about the current state and a forecast when the issues will be fixes.

Robert
'visit my completly renewed gallery at http://www.naturfotografie-westphal.com '

Robert-Peter Westphal

« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2013, 09:00:44 am »

<snarkyness> It's only money. You should focus more on the fact that Adobe has bestowed upon you the honor and privilege of being one of their beta testers. </snarkyness>

Sorry guys, this was not meant to become an Adobe bashing thread.

The dev-team of Adobe is doing a great job !

It should be an informational exchange in a friendly manner - no more or less.

So please, don't start bashing on anyone in this thread.

Robert

Kevin Gallagher

« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2013, 11:05:14 am »

Once upon the time... these things were done before money changed hands ;)

+1
Kevin In CT
All Animals Are Equal But Some Are More Equal
 George Orwell

Hans Kruse

• Hans Kruse Photography
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2013, 05:16:04 pm »

Once upon the time... these things were done before money changed hands ;)

When was that?

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2013, 06:33:20 pm »

When was that?

Once upon a time... ;)

But seriously, I think Microsoft pioneered that approach, using paying users as testers. Once upon a time, reputable companies were proud of their products quality and reliability, now it is all about who's going to create the most hype the fastest, grab a market share, and then quietly fix half-baked things.

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2013, 07:16:22 pm »

Does that mean that we will have to wait until the official 5.1 release to have a fix for these issues ?

That's what Adobe say. While you can work around the sharpening problem (reimport the unsharpened exported files and export them again at 1:1) I don't think that's possible for the high ISO noise, and for some users this is a serious problem. I actually agree that this issue merits a hotfix and have made this suggestion directly to people at Adobe.

John

ihv

• http://www.flickr.com/ihv
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2013, 01:11:05 pm »

I beg to differ - this is a serious issue, almost a month has passed and not a single item in the hotlist is fixed and no info whatsoever on the progress.

Personally I don't believe the export sharpening could take one month to fix, a feature which was already working before the final release.
There must be something else going on which looks to me (well in fact it is) like a sloppy management.

Best wishes,
Ivar

Hi,

Best regards
Erik

Kirk Gittings

• http://www.KirkGittings.com
« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2013, 02:31:47 pm »

Once upon a time... these things were done before money changed hands ;)

+2 IMHO this ongoing situation with many software companies is tantamount to fraud.
Thanks,
Kirk Gittings

Kirk Gittings

• http://www.KirkGittings.com
« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2013, 02:34:25 pm »

I beg to differ - this is a serious issue, almost a month has passed and not a single item in the hotlist is fixed and no info whatsoever on the progress.

And people think this will not get worse when everything is on the cloud and subscription based? Without serious competition what incentive does Adobe have to develop new tools on a regular basis or fix problems promptly?
Thanks,
Kirk Gittings

PhotoEcosse

« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2013, 02:43:21 pm »

Now here is an interesting thought.

I bought my copy of LR5 from Amazon.co.uk.

Under UK consumer legislation, all goods sold must be of "merchantable quality" and "fit for the purpose for which they are sold". The redress is not against the manufacturer but against the retailer who, if a fault is brought to their attention, must either replace with goods that are faultless or refund the purchase price and any consequential losses.

I wonder if pressure from major retailers like Amazon might persuade Adobe to get their finger out sooner rather than later?
"Reality is an illusion caused by lack of alcohol."
Alternatively, "Life begins at the far end of your comfort zone."

ButchM

« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2013, 04:02:47 pm »

Hi,

Best regards
Erik

I could get on board with that sentiment ... if Adobe didn't offer a public beta for Lightroom ... one would hope, with that broad of a user base participating in the public betas ... the final Gold Master release would be up to par before it was sent out the door.

Mind you, I wouldn't expect the final release to be 100% pure perfection ... however, more timely response to these issues should be warranted. If history is any indicator ... the "fix" will like appear as an "RC" version ... like we saw with the many iterations of Lr4 ...

kaelaria

• http://www.bgpictures.com
« Reply #15 on: July 07, 2013, 04:58:46 pm »

Pre-internet, when you had to buy software from a store on media, companies put a LOT more time and thought in to bug correcting.  For the most part, once it hit the shelves, it was gold and worked!  I can think of very very few 'update' releases.

David Eichler

• San Francisco Architectural and Interior Photographer
« Reply #16 on: July 07, 2013, 07:43:56 pm »

How could they miss the export sharpening bug? Such a basic and widely used function. I really think that is either incompetence or disregard for their customers. Based on past experience with LR, I decided to wait awhile before upgrading, and I see that I was right to do so.

K.C.

« Reply #17 on: July 07, 2013, 10:46:54 pm »

Pre-internet, when you had to buy software from a store on media, companies put a LOT more time and thought in to bug correcting.  For the most part, once it hit the shelves, it was gold and worked!  I can think of very very few 'update' releases.

I don't think the internet had that much to do with products being released when they were actually ready. It's all been about market share. Release before the competition and hope that you can fix it before the competition shows up. Now that Adobe has no competition they clearly don't have that concern.

I worked for a now de-funk company that produced some of the most popular early PS plugins and a few other apps. They once shipped fully packaged blank CDs because they couldn't meet the release date they'd promised for a particular product. Then when it was 'discovered' that packages in the channel were useless it was blamed on a production error and they had a couple of weeks to actually finish and deliver the product. It's not too surprising that company folded not too long after.

Schewe

• http:www.schewephoto.com
« Reply #18 on: July 08, 2013, 01:19:30 am »

How could they miss the export sharpening bug?

Guess you've never been involved in software development, right? Fixing one bug can introduce other bugs...bugs not seen before nor expected. That's what happened here. And, it wasn't just Lightroom that got hit with this bug, it also was introduced in Camera Raw 8.1. So, it wasn't really a LR bug it was a LR/ACR raw processing pipeline bug that got introduced in the last several builds that sadly, none of the internal testers caught. Was it a bad bug? You bet...was it "incompetence", to a degree, yes...some code was changed that introduced this new bug and nobody caught it. Was it "disregard for their customers"? You gotta be shyting me...do you honestly think so little of Adobe that this possibility is real in your mind? Or, are you simply trying to spread fear, uncertainty and doubt (FUD).

Look, it's ok to talk about what could have been done in LR5 or what should have been done in LR5 and what may be done in the future (LR6), but pulling this kind of crap out of thin air helps nobody...

I'm sure the engineers that modified the code and caused this bug are busy trying to fix it...is it a "data loss" bug? Nope...but yes, it's a problem but one that can be worked around...is Adobe embarrassed by this bug? You bet...nobody in their right mind however, would say that this bug would be a result of "disregard for their customers".

So, the work around isn't "convenient" but is it a reason not to use LR5? Nope...it simply modifies the way you need to use it. And it impacts not only LR5 but ACR 8.1 as well. So, until the bug is fixed, don't downsample images to less that 1/3 of the original capture size in Export...
« Last Edit: July 08, 2013, 01:21:19 am by Schewe »

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
« Reply #19 on: July 08, 2013, 03:04:19 am »

Under UK consumer legislation, all goods sold must be of "merchantable quality" and "fit for the purpose for which they are sold". The redress is not against the manufacturer but against the retailer who, if a fault is brought to their attention, must either replace with goods that are faultless or refund the purchase price and any consequential losses.

You're confusing "merchantable quality" and "faultless". They're very different concepts.

Jeremy
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Up