Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Down

Author Topic: Lightroom 5 hot issues  (Read 45780 times)

Rand47

Re: Lightroom 5 hot issues
« Reply #80 on: August 13, 2013, 05:52:42 pm »

The radial tool is good to speed up from making 4 different gradients . . .

In addition to the above, you can have them "off center" it so that the resulting vignette-effect brings focus to a specific area of the image.  Much harder to do "smoothly" w/ multiple linears.  There are lots of other uses for large radial gradients as well, e.g. warmer to cooler, sharper to softer, etc.

But what I've found especially useful is using small radial gradients, with them "inverted. "  This ends up working a lot like the "control points" in NIK applications.  I've found it faster in some instances than using an adjustment brush - and especially nice with the ability to feather the effect(s).  The ability to duplicate and then move any given small RG, and then tweak the size/settings is also very slick, IMO.

I'm a very happy camper w/ the Version 5 upgrade.  The RG and the enhanced lens correction/upright feature were worth the price of admission.

Rand
« Last Edit: August 13, 2013, 06:00:18 pm by Rand47 »
Rand Scott Adams

Phil Indeblanc

« Reply #81 on: August 13, 2013, 08:45:07 pm »

I came on to report a few stuttering issues on importing to a catalog from my CF card(which is what I normally use). They populate in chunks, which can be ok, but they don't until I scroll around to "force" it.

That's a problem!

Rand!
I'm smiling as I read your last point about inverting the RG...I so far just tried the gradient once, and noticed it "zeros" out the area in the center, and thought "weird, why isn't the center getting the treatment"...Then I realized I guess it works the same as the grads....UNTIL I read your post!!!! I was hoping it did this!!! (I just hadn't played around with it enough, I guess). First chance I get I will check it out.
If you buy a camera, you're a photographer...

neil snape

• http://www.neilsnape.com
« Reply #82 on: August 14, 2013, 04:25:31 am »

I did limited testing with the beta. I found some of the features very usable for what I do.

I now converted the main catalogue to LR5, with the RC5.2 issue.

I only had one problem, while moving images from one folder to another volume on the same RAID, it froze the operation with some cryptic error. The catalogue folder then was not available in the LR catalogue yet existed in the volume. It IMO left a copy in the original volume and folder and copied what it could until it froze. Smart thinking on the dev side as this saved both copies and did not loose a single image. I simply hand copied the remaining not yet transferred images and sync'd the folder.

The RC 5.2 is quite a bit faster than LR4, so I'm happy. Although I did just go back to RAID 0 for the image volumes, which obviously is faster on opening images. The previews now are quick, importing actually all operations are good.

As someone posted something about tethering and Canon 5DMKIII; I have had zero issues there.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Up