Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Question re: Micro 4/3rds Mount Standard on Panasonic/Olympus lens/bodies  (Read 12153 times)

Raymond Bleesz

Please excuse my ignorance, but I think I picked up a comment in my reads which needs clarification re: compatibility of lenses with different 4/3 bodies----To be specific---can one use Panasonic Lumix lens on a upper end Olympus camera body & vice versa, a digital Olympus lens on a Panasonic GH3 for example? Without hinderance, adapters, loss of???? etc etc etc.

If this be the case, who has done this & your reasoning, examples & such please.

Raymond

petermfiore

• Peter Fiore Fine Art

That is my understanding.

Peter

Gary Brown

To be specific---can one use Panasonic Lumix lens on a upper end Olympus camera body & vice versa, a digital Olympus lens on a Panasonic GH3 for example?

The answer is “yes,” and there's an essay by Thom Hogan, A Guide to m4/3, that might be helpful. An excerpt related to lenses:

Panasonic. Uses image stabilization in lenses only; Olympus lenses on Panasonic bodies will not be stabilized.

Olympus. Uses sensor-based stabilization; Panasonic lenses on Olympus bodies can be stabilized at the lens or the sensor.

Ken Bennett

• http://www.kenbennettphoto.com

Yes. We have Panasonic bodies and a mix of Olympus and Panny lenses. They all work.
Equipment: a camera and some lenses. https://www.instagram.com/wakeforestphoto/

fike

• Hiker Photographer
    • trailpixie.net

I do it all the time.  My primary zoom on my Olympus OM-D is a Panasonic 12-35 f/2.8 zoom. 

There are three important clarifications you need:
1) Micro Four Thirds (MFT) isn't the same as Four Thirds.  Four Thirds lenses need an adapter to work on the new MFT bodies.
2) Panasonic puts their image stabilization(IS) in the lens. Olympus puts their image stabilization in the body.  This means none of the Olympus lenses have image stabilization on a Panasonic body.  It also means that you generally turn off Panasonic IS on Olympus bodies.
3) Several body and lens combinations will do some digital image correction in the body--like removing chromatic aberration and distortion.  It is a general rule that a heterogeneous setup (panasonic lens on olympus body or the reverse) will not have these corrections done in the camera.  You can, of course, do these corrections in your favorite post processing tool (ACR). With the better lenses this is pretty minor anyway.
Fike, Trailpixie, or Marc Shaffer

AFairley

2) Panasonic puts their image stabilization(IS) in the lens. Olympus puts their image stabilization in the body.  This means none of the Olympus lenses have image stabilization on a Panasonic body.  It also means that you generally turn off Panasonic IS on Olympus bodies.

Just to elaborate on 2), on some Panasonic lenses IS is automatically turned off when mounted on an Oly body, so you cannot use the option of turning off in-body IS and using the lens IS with those lenses.  (for example the Panny 14-42 pancake zoom on an OM-D. 

250swb

If this be the case, who has done this & your reasoning, examples & such please.

It is done all the time. At the moment Olympus tend to excel at prime lenses, Panasonic at zooms. But as each continues to add to it's lens arsenal it means you have a terrific choice of lenses from the main manufacturers, not to mention other compatible lenses from smaller makers. So for example my favourite combination with my Olympus OMD is a Panasonic 12-35, or the Panasonic /Leica Summilux 25mm.

Steve

atassy

i use a panasonic gx1 body with the following lenses:
olympus 12/2.0 and 45/1.8
panasonic 20/1.7

they all work flawlessly together.

reason?
because it was possible to pick the body and lenses that appealed to me most, and combine them without problem  ;)

obviously, none of the above have IS so there can't be any conflict there.

fike

• Hiker Photographer
    • trailpixie.net

I have fun switching my lenscaps between lenses. I will use a Panasonic lenscap on an Olympus lens or a Canon lenscap on a Panasonic.  With the Canon lenscap I can be a schizophrenic walking advertisement for three camera brands. 

Where oh where do my allegiances lie? Nowhere!  That is what is great about MFT.  It isn't proprietary to one manufacturer. You can mount almost any lens or body to it.
Fike, Trailpixie, or Marc Shaffer
Pages: [1]   Go Up