Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Lightroom 4 - Choice of Colour Space for Export  (Read 1211 times)

Dinarius

Lightroom 4 - Choice of Colour Space for Export
« on: July 05, 2013, 07:31:56 am »

No doubt there's a screamingly obvious answer to this, but I'm going to ask it anyway..........

In LR under Edit/Preferences/External Editing/Edit in Photoshop CS 6, I have chosen ProPhoto RGB as my colour space.

Now, if I save out a file and open it in CS6 and choose Edit/Convert to Profile, the Source Space is given as Adobe RGB (1998).

Why isn't the Source Space ProPhoto, since I (assume) I saved the file from LR in this space?

Apologies in advance if I'm missing the obvious.

D.

Simon Garrett

Re: Lightroom 4 - Choice of Colour Space for Export
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2013, 07:45:47 am »

In LR under Edit/Preferences/External Editing/Edit in Photoshop CS 6, I have chosen ProPhoto RGB as my colour space.

That sets the colour space used passing files to Photoshop when you use "Edit in..." and choose Photoshop.

Now, if I save out a file and open it in CS6 and choose Edit/Convert to Profile, the Source Space is given as Adobe RGB (1998).

Do you mean you are exporting a file from LR and opening it in Photoshop?  This isn't the same as "Edit in...".  In this case (exporting) then you choose the colour space in the export dialogue:

As you see, in this case I've specified sRGB in the export dialogue - even though like you I've set Edit/Preferences/External Editing/Edit in Photoshop to ProPhotoRGB. 

Or have I misunderstood you?  As a further check - make sure Photoshop reports all profile mismatches.  In Photoshop / Edit / Color settings:

Make sure all the Profile Mismatch "Ask when..." options are checked. 

Dinarius

Re: Lightroom 4 - Choice of Colour Space for Export
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2013, 08:22:09 am »

Simon,

Thanks for the reply.

Of course I had left the colour space in the Export dialog set at Adobe 1998!

Doh!  ::)

I think that in order to move fully from ACR to LR, I'm going to have to switch to ProPhoto. I don't like the Perceptual/Relative issue in Soft Proofing when editing in ACR. That said, I can't stand the % readout when editing in ProPhoto, but I guess I'll get used to it.

Thanks again.

D.
Pages: [1]   Go Up