Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Question about moving files when upgrading HD and move corruption protection  (Read 2355 times)

AFairley

I'm swapping out my image file HD for a larger capacity drive.  I can move the files over in two ways:  1) copy files using a file moving program and then go into LR and synchronize the new location using the appropriate command for lost files; or 2) I can move the files within LR. 

If I use method 1, I will be able to do a CRC check on all the files after the move to confirm none of them have been corrupted.  If I use 2), does LR do anything in the move to check for corruption in the move and/or make sure none of the moved files have been corrupted?

Thanks

Hans Kruse

• Hans Kruse Photography

Good question! Before you move make sure you have a top folder over all folders you want to move to only need to resolve one folder in Lightroom after the move outside of Lightroom. If you use a file sync program that does a verify that will be the safest. I have no idea what Lightroom does, but I doubt that it does a full read verify (in fact I'm pretty sure it doesn't).

AFairley

Just to close this out, I ended up copying the files to the new HD keeping the same folder structure using the copy program that allowed me to verify a good copy with a CRC check of each file.  When I swapped out the drives in the PC, assigned the old drive letter (I use L: ), rebooted and started up LR it functioned as normal, no need to update location or anything (so I assume LR is only concerned about the drive letter in terms of location).  Totally painless.

Alan Goldhammer

• A Goldhammer Photography

Just to confirm that this is the right approach IMO (sorry I'm late with the response).  I've moved my LR files twice in the last 4 years because of computer upgrades and that's exactly what I did.  Quick and painless and file integrity was maintained (I also have everything backed up to a cloud server but have never needed to use it so far).

Box Brownie

• Engram Photography

Just to close this out, I ended up copying the files to the new HD keeping the same folder structure using the copy program that allowed me to verify a good copy with a CRC check of each file.  When I swapped out the drives in the PC, assigned the old drive letter (I use L: ), rebooted and started up LR it functioned as normal, no need to update location or anything (so I assume LR is only concerned about the drive letter in terms of location).  Totally painless.

Would you care to share what "copy program" you used.  As broadly speaking I find myself in the same position..............need much large drive but I had already planned to copy to the larger drive then replace the original and using Windows Disk Management assign the same drive letter as the 'original' so as not to confuse LR.

TIA  :)
A collection of mine here http://500px.c

AFairley

I used TeraCopy, its a freeware program.  It's not super feature heavy, but it had the CRC check capability which is what I wanted.  Plus, did I say it was free?   ;)  A search will find it easily.

Box Brownie

• Engram Photography

I used TeraCopy, its a freeware program.  It's not super feature heavy, but it had the CRC check capability which is what I wanted.  Plus, did I say it was free?   ;)  A search will find it easily.

Many thanks, I will look that up :)
A collection of mine here http://500px.c
Pages: [1]   Go Up