Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 34   Go Down

Author Topic: Is Richard Snowden a heroe or a criminal?  (Read 193169 times)

mezzoduomo

Re: Is Richard Snowden a heroe or a criminal?
« Reply #500 on: August 17, 2013, 12:03:56 pm »

What were we calling him again?

Well, we've been calling him Richard right along...from the start, despite the fact that his name is Edward.  ;)

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #501 on: August 17, 2013, 12:21:09 pm »

Well, we've been calling him Richard right along...from the start, despite the fact that his name is Edward.  ;)

When hiding, use an alias... Duh! ;D

Rob C

« Reply #502 on: August 17, 2013, 03:58:12 pm »

When hiding, use an alias... Duh! ;D

Then, you can't be a hero.

Rob C

stamper

« Reply #503 on: August 18, 2013, 04:55:54 am »

Better to call him Richard than a Dick. ;)

Rocco Penny

« Reply #504 on: August 18, 2013, 09:12:57 am »

W.E.B. Du Bois:
“How shall Integrity face Oppression? What shall Honesty do in the face of Deception, Decency in the face of Insult, Self-Defense before Blows? How shall Desert and Accomplishment meet Despising, Detraction, and Lies? What shall Virtue do to meet Brute Force? There are so many answers and so contradictory; and such differences for those on the one hand who meet questions similar to this once a year or once a decade, and those who face them hourly and daily.”

Rob C

« Reply #505 on: August 18, 2013, 12:19:55 pm »

W.E.B. Du Bois:
“How shall Integrity face Oppression? What shall Honesty do in the face of Deception, Decency in the face of Insult, Self-Defense before Blows? How shall Desert and Accomplishment meet Despising, Detraction, and Lies? What shall Virtue do to meet Brute Force? There are so many answers and so contradictory; and such differences for those on the one hand who meet questions similar to this once a year or once a decade, and those who face them hourly and daily.”

A perfect rationale for not seeking self-employment.

Rob C

Rocco Penny

« Reply #506 on: August 18, 2013, 05:49:34 pm »

hey Rob as usual, I'm several paces behind-
So today, I had the chance to renew lingering doubts about the heavy handed secret gubmint of yours and mine as bedfellows.
Stopped Greenwalds partner today at Heathrow, held him for 9 hours, confiscated all of his electronic equipment, didn't arrest hi, but questioned him for 9 hours, without a lawyer present, done by an anonymous person identified only by a badge number.
Now is anyone worried yet?
No?
No one stopped you or your loved ones right?
List of corrupt agencies/individuals engaged in mendacious behavior eclipses those not.
All up and down the line...
I had terrible cannelloni for dessert Rob,
the red sauce was awesome but the dang pastry---
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eQSGw0hMd_I

Rob C

« Reply #507 on: August 19, 2013, 05:21:03 am »

hey Rob as usual, I'm several paces behind-
So today, I had the chance to renew lingering doubts about the heavy handed secret gubmint of yours and mine as bedfellows.
Stopped Greenwalds partner today at Heathrow, held him for 9 hours, confiscated all of his electronic equipment, didn't arrest hi, but questioned him for 9 hours, without a lawyer present, done by an anonymous person identified only by a badge number.
Now is anyone worried yet?
No?
No one stopped you or your loved ones right?
List of corrupt agencies/individuals engaged in mendacious behavior eclipses those not.
All up and down the line...
I had terrible cannelloni for dessert Rob,
the red sauce was awesome but the dang pastry---
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eQSGw0hMd_I

You have to be careful what you eat!

In the 80s, when we moved to Spain, I used to do very frequent flights from here to Britain and back.

Arriving in Glasgow on one such, accompanied by my son aged about 17 or 18, we were both stopped at customs. The guy started to look at our stuff, and I smiled at him and asked: is it the beard and the jeans? He laughed back, and said nothing. He didn't have to; I understood.

So yes, if you choose to make yourself look like a thug then expect to be treated at least, at the very least, with suspicion!

I saw the images of the two guys you mention on Sky News this morning, the reporter and his ‘partner’ who, if you’ll forgive me saying so, looks the perfect stereotype of the middle-eastern terrorist! In Britain, there is this constant complaint that swarthy, and more so very swarthy, gentlemen are stopped more often than the very pale variety on these spot searches that get carried out in the pursuit of public safety. That the crime figures would indicate that the fuzz have a point seems not to matter: the 'concerned' perception is all about complexion. But then, that’s also become a very profitable aspect of law practice.

Odd, isn’t it, how pale people spend so much time, money, risk and nervous energy trying to look tanned. Come to think of it, I might have added that observation to those doubting Thomases who, on recent threads, criticised my level of devotion to the gentle art I thought we all shared here. One of the attractions of catching calendars was the chance to get the hell out of the gloom and get brown, and then, get this: show it off back at the ranch! It did my ego good, but I suspect, in retrospect, that it did me absolutely no favours back in the ad. agency offices I had to visit… tan looks so much more, well, tanned, against white T-shirts. Works well against black too, just in case anyone is interested. When and where everyone else bears the same tonality, the value is nil.

;-)

Rob C

Jeremy Roussak

• Global Moderator
    • site
« Reply #508 on: August 19, 2013, 02:31:46 pm »

We seem to have reached the conclusion that the answer to the question, assuming we get the first name right, is definitely "yes".

Jeremy

Chris_Brown

• Smile dammit!
    • Chris Brown Photography
« Reply #509 on: August 19, 2013, 07:54:47 pm »

I'm still confused as to what a "heroe" is. Is it a woman with an œ?
~ CB

dreed

Re: Is Richard Snowden a hero or a criminal?
« Reply #510 on: August 19, 2013, 08:22:41 pm »

I'm still confused as to what a "heroe" is. Is it a woman with an œ?

No, it is what you type when you want to give the impression of using the word "hero" but don't actually want to, so you misspell it.

We seem to have reached the conclusion that the answer to the question, assuming we get the first name right, is definitely "yes".

But if you had to choose which word you applied "yes" to, which would it be?

Jeremy Roussak

• Global Moderator
    • site
Re: Is Richard Snowden a hero or a criminal?
« Reply #511 on: August 20, 2013, 03:49:06 am »

But if you had to choose which word you applied "yes" to, which would it be?

Definitely either the fifth or the eighth. Perhaps both, of course.

Jeremy

Rob C

« Reply #512 on: August 20, 2013, 03:57:38 am »

Trouble is, limiting the choice to two words eliminates a more accurate third option.

Rob C

Rocco Penny

« Reply #513 on: August 20, 2013, 06:43:50 pm »

Here's Rachel Maddow making an ancillary point on our freedom to speak out;
http://www.nbcnews.com/id/26315908/#52797608

In full, there should be an international tribunal to bring those responsible for these reprehensible acts of state terrorism and spying up on formal charges.
Down to the last one of them.
From their comfy offices, to their shadowy culture-
dismantle the police state now before it's too late.
It wasn't that long ago that we were hearing people call their countrymen traitors and cowards for opposing the war in Iraq.
Public officials should be held responsible for what they did in the aftermath of the tragedy of the World Trade Center and attack on American soil.
Funny how since that time millions have died with hardly a whimper from our society.
The way we value human lives is shameful.  Richard Heroe should get a medal and when the nobel peace prize is rescinded from Obama - our rick heroe should get the very one that liar and hypocrite has today.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2013, 06:47:35 pm by Rocco Penny »

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
« Reply #514 on: August 20, 2013, 07:05:35 pm »

In full, there should be an international tribunal to bring those responsible for these reprehensible acts of state terrorism and spying up on formal charges.

It's called the "world court," Rocco. It has no jurisdiction and no ability to enforce its rulings, which is a damned good thing when you consider that its a political organization with its own agenda. Maybe we can let Bashar al-Assad bring everybody up on charges. Don't you think he'd make a marvelous judge? No screwing around; firing squad outside the door.

Ah. . . The world's full of wishy-washy dreamers.
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #515 on: August 20, 2013, 07:34:28 pm »

It's called the "world court," Rocco. It has no jurisdiction and no ability to enforce its rulings, which is a damned good thing when you consider that its a political organization with its own agenda...

Which the US apparently has no problem advocation for and using, but only against its enemies. As for "no ability to enforce," I do not know... tell that to many war criminals (or made so by the "political organization with its own agenda") who are in their prisons or died there.

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
« Reply #516 on: August 20, 2013, 09:11:29 pm »

Thanks for pointing that out, Slobodan. Rocco ought to be overjoyed.
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

Ed B

• Light Conspiracy
« Reply #517 on: August 20, 2013, 10:56:22 pm »

A government that spies on it's own people without cause is corrupt in every sense of the word and the founding fathers of the US knew this when they drafted the constitution. Some of the responses earlier in this thread about it being ok for the government to scan emails and invade privacy because "I'm not doing anything wrong" is shocking to me. I have to wonder if it would be ok for a police officer to look in the windows of your home to see if you are "doing anything wrong" would be ok? Would it be ok to open your mail to make sure you aren't committing a crime?

Rights can be taken away in one fell swoop or chipped away a little at a time. Neither is acceptable. Is Snowdon a hero? Time will tell but when businesses close down because they can't guaranty privacy because of government intervention, we should all be worried.

http://www.techhive.com/article/2047024/tech-legal-news-site-groklaw-shutting-down-because-email-privacy-is-impossible.html

Rocco Penny

« Reply #518 on: August 20, 2013, 11:01:51 pm »

hardly overjoyed

distressed, inconsolable, unwavering, pointed, badgering, undeceived, exhausted, final.

The indecency of our own government has no limits.  From bombings to kidnappings to an all encompassing harassment and surveillance c state-
The lines are drawn,
just like our fine leaders have clearly demonstrated time and again in this losing game.
They may try and stop Greenwalds testimony I suppose,
But, I'm thinking not, and when that happens, look out.
Maybe then we'll see the change part of that bullshit campaign slogan

Rob C

« Reply #519 on: August 21, 2013, 09:32:03 am »

I'm always a little surprised when people quote the Founding Fathers as if they had some special take on the realities of contemporary life.

Hell's teeth, it's all that the Ten Commandments can do to stay currently applicable, and look at the early start, simplicity and broadness of interpretational compass they permit!

Had those fabled tablets of stone not already been long remodelled into building blocks for some Red Sea resort development, I'm sure they would have been just as useful and quotable - enough even for the olde Reader's Digest to have included!

Then was then, and now is now. Everything changes, and to hope otherwise is denial; I know a lot about that trick, in fact I sometimes consider it a speciality, one of my extra survival skills.

Rob C
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 34   Go Up