Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Hassy vs. Mamiya Lenses  (Read 10742 times)

JoeKitchen

Hassy vs. Mamiya Lenses
« on: July 03, 2013, 12:02:25 pm »

First question is does Hassy make there own lenses or are they outsourced?  If outsourced, who makes them?

Second, overall, which lenses are better (if that can be quantified)? 
"Photography is one percent inspiration and ninety-nine percent

Ed Foster, Jr.

• http://www.edfoster.net
Re: Hassy vs. Mamiya Lenses
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2013, 12:20:19 pm »

Joe,

It's my understanding that the H series lenses were designed for digital by Hasselblad and are manufactured by Fuji in Japan. I cannot speak to the Mamiya lenses as I don't use them, but the H series lenses I use the most, 100mm and 28mm, are extremely crisp and smooth. In their Phocus software, Hasselblad has incorporated digital correction for vignetting, distortion and chromatic aberration, based upon shooting conditions such as aperture, shutter speed and distance.

Regards,
Ed
Ed Foster, Jr.
[url=http://www.edfoster.

David Watson

• David Watson
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2013, 05:50:01 am »

Does it matter whether Hassy actually make their own lenses or have them made to their specification and quality standard?  I think not - after all do we care that iPhones are made by an Apple sub-contractor.

From my own experience the Hassy lenses are superb.  I particularly like the 28mm 50 mark 2 and the 100mm.  Anecdotal evidence from other photographers would appear to support the view that the Schneider lenses for the Phase camera are very good indeed.
David Watson ARPS

evgeny

« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2013, 08:38:33 am »

My Hasselblad 28mm, 50mm II, 100mm and 120mm Macro are superb both optically and mechanically.

I don't like a big amount of plastic in construction of the Schneider lenses for Mamiya. They look cheaper, and may need more service with age.

Evgeny

Doug Peterson

• http://www.doug-peterson.com
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2013, 09:46:13 am »

Which lenses are you referring to evgeny?

Is it possible you're confusing the non-mamiya lenses of yore (which had a lot of plastic) with the metal Schneider lenses of today?

evgeny

« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2013, 04:17:23 pm »

Doug,
I tested the DF about 2 year ago. If I remember correctly, the lens was Mamiya Sekor 110mm f/2.8 LS D Lens for 645DF.

Evgeny

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2013, 04:30:03 pm »

Hi,

Just as a side comment, I acquired four Hasselblad V lenses recently. The new lenses contain more plastics. The latest lens I have is a CFE and it has plastics everywhere.

I replaced the oldest all metal Sonnar 150/4 I had with a Sonner 150/4 CF that has more plastics but feels better. I don't mind plastics, if correctly used.

Best regards
Erik

My Hasselblad 28mm, 50mm II, 100mm and 120mm Macro are superb both optically and mechanically.

I don't like a big amount of plastic in construction of the Schneider lenses for Mamiya. They look cheaper, and may need more service with age.

Evgeny
« Last Edit: July 06, 2013, 07:40:48 am by ErikKaffehr »
Erik Kaffehr

BobDavid

« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2013, 05:27:58 pm »

Does it matter whether Hassy actually make their own lenses or have them made to their specification and quality standard?  I think not - after all do we care that iPhones are made by an Apple sub-contractor.

From my own experience the Hassy lenses are superb.  I particularly like the 28mm 50 mark 2 and the 100mm.  Anecdotal evidence from other photographers would appear to support the view that the Schneider lenses for the Phase camera are very good indeed.

The abovementioned lenses are great. The H50mm M1 is not very good, the H35mm is terrible, the 80mm lens is very nice, and the 120 MK I is excellent. The 28mm is okay.

hasselbladfan

« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2013, 05:04:56 am »

Fully agree with the list (28 - 50 II - 100). I would also add the 210 on the list of stars.

sbernthal

« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2013, 04:12:04 pm »

I made a comparison once between 120 macro HC II and Mamiya AF.
The HC was a hair sharper.
I'm still using Mamiya and not complaining.
I trust the Phase One company more than I trust Hasselblad, and that was the decision point for me.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2013, 04:14:52 pm by sbernthal »

Grischa Rueschendorf

« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2013, 12:51:33 am »

I would be interested if anybody has used those lenses with a digital back and even shifted on a full frame sensor:

- Hasselblad V mount: CFi 30mm lens
http://www.hasselbladusa.com/products/v-system/lenses/cfi-3530.aspx
is this a fish eye meaning distorts a lot? or is it normal like the 32HR?

- Hasselblad V mount CFE 40mm
http://www.hasselbladusa.com/products/v-system/lenses/cfe-440.aspx

- Carl Zeiss PC-Distagon T 35mm f2.8
http://www.contaxcameras.co.uk/slr/slrmanlenses/pcdistagon35.html

how do they hold up in the digital age? whats their respective image circles.

thanks

lance_schad

« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2013, 09:58:21 am »

You may be referring to the Lens Shade which on the 55,80,110mmLS is plastic.
The newest lenses ie 150LS,240LS,75-250LS,120MacroAF,28mm(LS) all have metal shades.

Lance
LANCE SCHAD - DIGITAL TRANSITIONS

johndk

« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2013, 03:35:38 pm »

I´ve been shooting the Hasselblad H2 with the P45+ for the past 5 years. About a month ago I ordered the new IQ260 upgrade, and considered a switch to the Phase camera, for convenience. But I tried the IQ260 on the Phase camera and was left instantly yearning for the look of those Hasselblad (fuji) Lenses. The Phase lenses seem technically very very good, but my feeling was that they give you an image that doesn´t sing like that hasselblad glass does. I have the 35,50,80,100,210 and the 50-110. I might surprise everyone by saying my favorite is the zoom, it´s gives a beautiful rendering of the images, the out of focus bits and the flares are quite realistic and a great cinematographic feeling, my second favorite would be the 210mm.  For me it´s not so much a sharpness thing as the sensation I have when that image pops up on the screen.

I only wish each company would do what they do best instead of trying to do everything. Hasselblad glass & Phase Backs forever!

John

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2013, 12:24:56 am »

Hi,

I am sure that PhaseOne would have liked to that, unfortunately, Hasselblad realised that the real money was in the backs and not in cameras and lenses. So they closed the H-system, thus forcing Phase One into acquiring a controlling share in Mamiya and develop their own system.

Hasselblad does the lens design on their own lenses, that may be a good thing. The lenses are built by Fujinon. I'm pretty sure Fujinon has some input on lens design.

Best regards
Erik

I only wish each company would do what they do best instead of trying to do everything. Hasselblad glass & Phase Backs forever!

John
Erik Kaffehr

haefnerphoto

• http://www.jameshaefner.com
« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2013, 07:58:42 am »

I've used Mamiya cameras and lenses for thirty five years.  I have never had anyone mention to me the images don't look critically sharp.  Granted some lenses are sharper than others but your client will never know the difference.  I like the 28, 50 shift, 80, 120macro, the 55-110 and 105-210.  My 35 and 45 (both older lenses) are less than perfect.  Jim

HarperPhotos

• http://www.harperphoto.com
« Reply #15 on: July 12, 2013, 03:44:53 pm »

Hello,

Totally agree with Jim.

Cheers

Simon
Simon Harper
Harper Photographics Ltd
http://www.harperphoto.com
http://www.facebook.com/harper.photographics

Auckland, New Zealand

amsp

« Reply #16 on: July 12, 2013, 04:06:51 pm »

Hello,

Totally agree with Jim.

Cheers

Simon

+1

I'd also add that not only are the Mamiya 645 lenses terrific, but the rz67 lenses are probably the best lenses I've ever used, period.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2013, 04:34:20 pm by amsp »

sbernthal

« Reply #17 on: July 12, 2013, 04:11:41 pm »

I think there's something to the "singing" point.
I've never had a Mamiya lens "sing" to me.
For most of my work it is not required, but I have noticed that it doesn't exist with the "D"s that I have. Maybe the Schneiders do?
With the Canon system there was one lens that could "sing" - 85/1.2.
I did see many Hasselblad pictures that made me think about that system.

I´ve been shooting the Hasselblad H2 with the P45+ for the past 5 years. About a month ago I ordered the new IQ260 upgrade, and considered a switch to the Phase camera, for convenience. But I tried the IQ260 on the Phase camera and was left instantly yearning for the look of those Hasselblad (fuji) Lenses. The Phase lenses seem technically very very good, but my feeling was that they give you an image that doesn´t sing like that hasselblad glass does. I have the 35,50,80,100,210 and the 50-110. I might surprise everyone by saying my favorite is the zoom, it´s gives a beautiful rendering of the images, the out of focus bits and the flares are quite realistic and a great cinematographic feeling, my second favorite would be the 210mm.  For me it´s not so much a sharpness thing as the sensation I have when that image pops up on the screen.

John

TMARK

« Reply #18 on: July 12, 2013, 04:37:50 pm »

+1

I'd also add that not only are the Mamiya 645 lenses terrific, but the rz67 lenses are probably the best lenses I've ever used, period.

The RZ lenses are so good it hurts.  On the mam. 645, the 80 1.9 was a nice, nice lens.  The Mamiya lenses I liked the best, however, were the Mamiya 6 and 7 lenses.  All of them.

Doug Peterson

• http://www.doug-peterson.com
« Reply #19 on: July 12, 2013, 05:12:57 pm »

Lens look is definitely subjective.

But if you like the look of Mamiya RZ lenses the DF/DF+ Schneider LS are more similar to them than the Mamiya D lenses.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up