Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Don McCullin  (Read 3285 times)

Rob C

Don McCullin
« on: July 02, 2013, 02:49:16 pm »

He's on tonight on BBC 1 tv - Imagine.

Rob C

stamper

Re: Don McCullin
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2013, 04:15:28 am »

I recorded it and watched it last night. The best documentary I have watched in years. I thought he was very humble and understated in what he said and came across as genuine. The scenes of war were horrific and the background commentary from him amazing. Anyone who has a "casual" idea about war will surely think again after seeing this. His early years were illuminating and above all the photography outstanding. The British government stopped him from going to the Falklands. He would have been too truthful for them to handle? If this program becomes available outside of the BBC it certainly should be sought out and watched. I will be doing so again.

Rob C

« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2013, 04:38:05 am »

I recorded it and watched it last night. The best documentary I have watched in years. I thought he was very humble and understated in what he said and came across as genuine. The scenes of war were horrific and the background commentary from him amazing. Anyone who has a "casual" idea about war will surely think again after seeing this. His early years were illuminating and above all the photography outstanding. The British government stopped him from going to the Falklands. He would have been too truthful for them to handle? If this program becomes available outside of the BBC it certainly should be sought out and watched. I will be doing so again.

I'm glad you enjoyed it.

He was on again last night on a short docu on London: some early stuff of him shooting poor people on the streets - he always asked their permission, directed them a bit, and the subjects were all happy to be shot. But, whether that was because both subject and snapper were aware of the filming...  the thought leads one to wonder about the influence that war photographers have in close encounters with life and death: are street executions done for the cameras?

I wasn't exactly sure who had stropped him getting onto the boat to the Malvinas Falklands... also, it seems that the new way is for all press to be 'embedded' with one of the military units.

I think it defeats the point, because it isn't what the photographer photographs, it's how the publication presents the image, authorised or not.

This morning I sat eating my Kellogs like a well-trained, good little boy and discovered that Sky News was actually telling us that sex is good for the 'older' person. Well, what an amazing discovery made by the young! And not more than a year or two since they discovered sex existed! What rapid progress in this digital age...

I also realised yet again that Sky and News do not fit together well in the same title. I switched off and came here. Hmmm... not much sex for the aged here.

;-(

Rob C

WalterEG

« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2013, 07:48:29 am »

No sex here, but an over abundance of the agèd.

W

Rocco Penny

« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2013, 01:02:25 pm »

wait a minute-
sex?
I gave a nice couple of kids a ride hitchin yesterday,
she was from australia and was interested that I was following someone shooting in the kimberlys
she showed me her top portion as I guess a reward when she got out
nice girl,
and last night!
the scandalous musings of the armenian sisters,
shocking
I had to finally move to a different spot at the fire because they were conveying to one another just loud enough for me to hear...
women,,,
what a wonderful disaster...

Isaac

« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2013, 01:04:53 pm »

tom b

• http://tombrown.id.au
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2013, 04:50:39 pm »

There are downsides. Why Are Boomers Getting S.T.D.s? NYT article so hope the link works.

Cheers,
Tom Brown

stamper

« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2013, 05:27:40 am »

Rob you started this thread about viewing a documentary about photography. You reply in the third post and end it with sex references which the four following posters reply to your references about sex. It is well known on here that you tend to take posts "down a rabbit hole" but this is a new "low" for you. What should have been a good thread on Don McCullin has probably been ruined by your reminisces of something that for you is in the past.  ::)

markadams99

• http://thelightcavalry.zenfolio.com
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2013, 07:51:59 am »

Rob you started this thread about viewing a documentary about photography. You reply in the third post and end it with sex references which the four following posters reply to your references about sex. It is well known on here that you tend to take posts "down a rabbit hole" but this is a new "low" for you. What should have been a good thread on Don McCullin has probably been ruined by your reminisces of something that for you is in the past.  ::)
No rabbit hole, no Alice In Wonderland.

Rob C

« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2013, 11:12:44 am »

¿?

Make of that what you will.

Rob C

petermfiore

• Peter Fiore Fine Art
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2013, 02:11:05 pm »

Rob C

« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2013, 05:34:21 pm »

I can do it for straight people too:

¡!