Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Phase One IQ260 Achromatic Road Trip  (Read 15124 times)

Doug Peterson

• http://www.doug-peterson.com
Phase One IQ260 Achromatic Road Trip
« on: July 02, 2013, 11:37:02 am »

This last weekend Brian Hirshfield and I drove upstate to shoot a wedding.

It was a short trip, and we mostly used other cameras (not a great idea to use a system you're not intimately familiar for a wedding), but on the ride home we found a few targets of opportunity to try out the Phase One IQ260 Achromatic.

All shot with IQ260 Achromatic on Phase One DF+ with 55LS lens with Hoya 72R (720nm cut off IR pass, visible block filter).

JoeKitchen

Re: Phase One IQ260 Achromatic Road Trip
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2013, 12:05:19 pm »

Kind of looks like you were up near the Gunx (Schawangunks for your lay people).  

Does the Achromatic do IR photography?

It's hard telling from these smaller pics, but I assume that the exposures here are dead on?  Is there any loss of detail in the images due to over exposure?  Or is the contrasty nature of a couple of the images a result of personal preferences in processing?
« Last Edit: July 02, 2013, 12:16:14 pm by JoeKitchen »
"Photography is one percent inspiration and ninety-nine percent

Doug Peterson

« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2013, 12:56:53 pm »

Achromatic does infrared (see Infrared Digital Backs for more details).

The contrast is entirely in the processing. By the nature of the sensor and IR spectrum the images as captured on the IQ260 Achromatic above 700nm are exceedingly low in contrast even in direct sunlight.

gerald.d

« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2013, 01:38:02 pm »

*buys lottery ticket*

jsiva

« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2013, 02:09:22 pm »

Doug,

How are you finding the LS lenses in the IR space?  On Nikon, I found even my best lenses blooming quite a bit.  As I mentioned to you, the one lens that really shines in maintaining sharpness in the IR spectral range is the CO 60mm.

Have you given the Achro a run on any of your tech cams yet? 

Nice shots btw...Cheers!

Doug Peterson

« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2013, 03:36:20 pm »

Minor hotspot on the 55LS. I haven't tried any other lenses or bodies yet. Want to drive/fly down and give it a go? :) I don't pretend I could get images nearly as nice as you could.

jsiva

« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2013, 06:15:17 pm »

Doug, don't be so modest.  I once spent a couple of hours on your site.  I would, but 3 kids and a hairy job keep me elsewhere.  In any case, I do hope to have mine next month, and am quite excited about the base ISO as well.  Hand held shooting at the bleeding edge of quality maybe a reality for me again :)

I noticed the CI guys had tested with the B+W 486 filters for visible spectrum w/ UV/IR cutoff.  As far as I know, Phase is not releasing anything similar to the TG1 at this point.  Any thoughts on this, for pure b&w visible light shooting?

design_freak

« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2013, 06:29:57 pm »

Doug, don't be so modest.  I once spent a couple of hours on your site.  I would, but 3 kids and a hairy job keep me elsewhere.  In any case, I do hope to have mine next month, and am quite excited about the base ISO as well.  Hand held shooting at the bleeding edge of quality maybe a reality for me again :)

Could I ask  what you did a couple of hours on this page? http://www.doug-peterson.com/
Best regards,
DF

jsiva

« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2013, 11:10:36 pm »

Could I ask  what you did a couple of hours on this page? http://www.doug-peterson.com/

In the spirit of your question and being somewhat certain of it's context having just browsed your last 50 posts; I spent the two hours with one hand in a jar of peanuts and the other down my pants.

If I am mistaken, then I apologize.  I rarely look at other people's portfolios, but when I do, particularly those portfolios that contain a variety of styles, subjects, lighting, equipment, and most importantly, PURPOSE, I do spend time on most of the photos thinking about the lighting used, how it was composed, what was done at capture, what was done on PP etc.

In Doug's case, I was simply intrigued by the shear breadth of subjects and techniques.  Doug was also kind enough to add very descriptive context  to a number of sessions, which, again, add to the shared experienced when looking at his work.

I also specifically looked at his lighting style (natural vs. artificial) in the Naturescapes vs. Bodyscapes galleries.  I think it quite intriguing to see similarities in his choice of natural lighting that he is able to carry over into a more controlled environment in the bodyscapes, and vice versa.

So, yes, I did spend a good part of an afternoon when I first ran into this link.  Some time looking at the images and reading the text, and some additional time reflecting on Doug's body of work and approach and how it compared/contrasted with my approach, and ultimately, I guess the two main points of looking at anything - did I enjoy the experience in itself - YES; and did it add anything positive to my approach/style/technique going forward - YES.

Thank you for your interest, and have a nice day.

rjkern

• I go where my camera brings me.
    • kern-photo.com
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2013, 12:08:49 am »

Looks like you both had a great time and had fun creating some interesting images with your creative tools! Thanks for sharing!
R. J. Kern
http://www.kern-photo.com - my blogsite and portfolio

design_freak

« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2013, 05:39:42 am »

In the spirit of your question and being somewhat certain of it's context having just browsed your last 50 posts; I spent the two hours with one hand in a jar of peanuts and the other down my pants.

If I am mistaken, then I apologize.  I rarely look at other people's portfolios, but when I do, particularly those portfolios that contain a variety of styles, subjects, lighting, equipment, and most importantly, PURPOSE, I do spend time on most of the photos thinking about the lighting used, how it was composed, what was done at capture, what was done on PP etc.

In Doug's case, I was simply intrigued by the shear breadth of subjects and techniques.  Doug was also kind enough to add very descriptive context  to a number of sessions, which, again, add to the shared experienced when looking at his work.

I also specifically looked at his lighting style (natural vs. artificial) in the Naturescapes vs. Bodyscapes galleries.  I think it quite intriguing to see similarities in his choice of natural lighting that he is able to carry over into a more controlled environment in the bodyscapes, and vice versa.

So, yes, I did spend a good part of an afternoon when I first ran into this link.  Some time looking at the images and reading the text, and some additional time reflecting on Doug's body of work and approach and how it compared/contrasted with my approach, and ultimately, I guess the two main points of looking at anything - did I enjoy the experience in itself - YES; and did it add anything positive to my approach/style/technique going forward - YES.

Thank you for your interest, and have a nice day.

;D
You must have a lot of free time.
You are lucky that you have so much time. Do not waste your time watching mediocre pictures, just start shooting. 8)
 With this amount of time, which you have. In a short time you reach this level of photos that Doug will spend time watching your web site.  ;D
 That's it.  8)
Best regards,
DF

jsiva

« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2013, 06:11:34 am »

Cannot make heads or tails of what you wrote above.  If you are going to be a superstar under a fake name, best to do it with proper grammar, spelling and punctuation.  I would also go easy on the happy faces, just a little contrary to the serious message you are attempting to deliver.  

http://www.amazon.com/English-Grammar-For-Dummies-ebook/dp/B00362XKZ6/ref=sr_1_1_bnp_1_kin?ie=UTF8&qid=1372845585&sr=8-1&keywords=english+for+dummies

PM me your email address, I will PP your the cost of the ebook.  Cheers, and "work hard and be nice to people"!

« Last Edit: July 03, 2013, 10:37:05 am by jsiva »

design_freak

« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2013, 08:06:14 am »

Cannot make heads or tails of what your wrote above.  If you are going to be a superstar under a fake name, best to do it with proper grammar, spelling and punctuation.  I would also go easy on the happy faces, just a little contrary to the serious message you are attempting to deliver. 

http://www.amazon.com/English-Grammar-For-Dummies-ebook/dp/B00362XKZ6/ref=sr_1_1_bnp_1_kin?ie=UTF8&qid=1372845585&sr=8-1&keywords=english+for+dummies

PM me your email address, I will PP your the cost of the ebook.  Cheers, and "work hard and be nice to people"!

PM sent  8)
Best regards,
DF

design_freak

« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2013, 08:29:17 am »

Doug,
I would like to see a portrait made ​​by this MFDB. I'm very curious if it is better than the old model.
I apologize in advance, English is not my language  ;)
Best regards,
DF

Frank Doorhof

• http://
« Reply #14 on: July 04, 2013, 07:44:32 am »

WORK HARD AND BE NICE TO PEOPLE

yeah...... :D
Pages: [1]   Go Up