Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Porting print templates  (Read 1449 times)

Jim Kasson

• The Last Word
Porting print templates
« on: July 01, 2013, 05:49:15 pm »

I set up a new computer, installing Lr 5 on it. I want to transfer the print templates from another computer's Lr 5 installation to the new one. I thought I'd use the export and import functions that you get when you right-click on the print templates on the left side of the Print screen. It didn't work like I thought it would.

You can export print templates from Lightroom, but only one at a time. You can import them singly or as a group to your new Lr installation. However, they will be named according to the names you chose for the files on export, not the names in the original Lr installation. Also, they will point at the default printer, not the one you picked in the original installation, and, as a consequence, will have forgotten the printer configuration you originally set up. If the paper size on the default printer is smaller than the paper size in the original template, Lr will resize the margins, and after you set the right paper size, you have to reset the margins.

All in all, so far it appears to me that it’s easier just to start over with new print templates for a new Lr installation.

I doubt it is supposed to be this way. I am probably making some bonehead error. Can anyone enlighten me?

Jim

john beardsworth

• My photography site
Re: Porting print templates
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2013, 05:56:03 pm »

When you save a print template, it's saved in a folder on your hard drive. So for bulk copying of templates, you can copy the contents of the old folder, paste them in the equivalent folder, and restart LR.

Usually you get to that folder by Preferences > Presets > Go to Presets Folder. However, if you ticked "Store presets with this catalog" they'll be in the same folder as that catalogue.

Jim Kasson

• The Last Word
Re: Porting print templates
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2013, 06:21:34 pm »

Thanks, John. That gets the templates over to the new Lr installation much faster. However, in all other respects it seems to be the same; I still lose paper sizes and printer settings.

Oh, I see what's happening. In order for the printer, paper, and printer properties to come across unscathed, the printer names on the two computers have to be exactly the same. There's no equivalent of the InDesign "find that font" dialog. I wonder what would happen if I brought the profiles in in batches by printer, each time temporarily setting the default printer on the new computer to the same physical printer that they were used with on the old computer?

Jim
« Last Edit: July 01, 2013, 06:42:09 pm by Jim Kasson »
Pages: [1]   Go Up