Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How do I use the Macbeth/X-Rite Colorchecker with X3F-Files (Sigma DP2M) ?  (Read 8436 times)

MrSmith27

So I took a picture of the Macbeth/X-Rite Colorchecker and I'm trying to generate a color-profile for use in Lightroom out of that file. Unfortunately Sigma's raw-files are in their proprietary X3F-Format and it appears that the Colorchecker Software only accepts DNG-Files. Tiffs and JPGS seem not to work. Pseudo DNG-files generated from the Tiffs that I generate from the X3F-files using Sigma Photo Pro also don't work. Any advice?

-CM

PS: Please speak as you might to a young child or a golden retriever. Thank you.

Vladimirovich

So I took a picture of the Macbeth/X-Rite Colorchecker and I'm trying to generate a color-profile for use in Lightroom out of that file. Unfortunately Sigma's raw-files are in their proprietary X3F-Format and it appears that the Colorchecker Software only accepts DNG-Files. Tiffs and JPGS seem not to work. Pseudo DNG-files generated from the Tiffs that I generate from the X3F-files using Sigma Photo Pro also don't work. Any advice?

-CM

PS: Please speak as you might to a young child or a golden retriever. Thank you.

you can open .X3F in ACR/LR then you should be able save it as .DNG file

MrSmith27

you can open .X3F in ACR/LR then you should be able save it as .DNG file

doesn't work. lr will generate a dng, but colorchecker passport won't accept it.

Vladimirovich

strange... no issues w/ prev. generation (pre Merrill) DP2 camera (I used to have one).

PS: are you sure that you can open .X3F files from DP2M in LR ? (not .tiff from SPP).
« Last Edit: July 01, 2013, 02:21:04 pm by Vladimirovich »

PhilipCummins

strange... no issues w/ prev. generation (pre Merrill) DP2 camera (I used to have one).
PS: are you sure that you can open .X3F files from DP2M in LR ? (not .tiff from SPP).

From what I was reading online they updated the .X3F format for the Merrills, meaning Camera Raw/LR stopped working (though the earlier models work OK). At this point I think you'd need to use another software package to generate the profile (ie Eye-One Match, ProfileMaker Pro, SilverFast DC, InCamera etc) until the RAW processors for X3F are able to mature a bit further.

sharperstill

Can't you just use Adobe's DNG converter, then feed that to the Color Checker app?

MrSmith27

Can't you just use Adobe's DNG converter, then feed that to the Color Checker app?

Nope, every single time the colorchecker passport app stops and says that color channels are clipped. they are clearly not, so something is wrong. i also tried chromoholic's AcrCalibrator but I get weird +100/-100 results. so that's not working either.

Rand47

Try converting to 16 bit tiff in SPP, then import to LR.  Export that file as DNG.  Reimport DNG & make profile.

Rand
Rand Scott Adams

MrSmith27

Try converting to 16 bit tiff in SPP, then import to LR.  Export that file as DNG.  Reimport DNG & make profile.

Rand

this worked, and now I have a .dcp file. However no matter in what folder I put that file I cannot see/open it in either Photoshop, nor Lightroom nor Cameraraw. This whole thing is just really, really weird.

Vladimirovich

this worked, and now I have a .dcp file. However no matter in what folder I put that file I cannot see/open it in either Photoshop, nor Lightroom nor Cameraraw. This whole thing is just really, really weird.

photoshop has nothing to do w/ .dcp profiles.

camera profiles are working for raw files only (not for .tiffs) - so you need to be able to open a raw file in ACR/LR to select this profile... if you are working with DNG obtained from .tiff then ACR/LR do not consider that a raw file... you need to be able to open .X3F or DNG converted by something in a compliant manner from .X3F or you need to do something with DNG obtained from .tiff to fool ACR/LR into considering it a raw file... my 2c.

Vladimirovich

Can't you just use Adobe's DNG converter
ACR, LR and Adobe DNG converter of the same generation are able to work with the same raw files in the same manner... so if ACR/LR can't open .x3f then Adobe DNG converter won't

Vladimirovich

PS: the best chance if Adobe does not support merrills is for example to beg Iridient Rawdeveloper author to add a function to export .X3F to "raw" .DNG - he certainly can do this  8)

solarj

-CM

Before, you can use X3change to calibrate the camera using xrite color checker, that is a huge topic. But if you have upgraded camera to newer version of firmware(>1.04.9.6943), it is not working anymore. I have the download link for X3change (Author Arvo jaegel), but can't get in contact with him to ask for a fix for the new X3F file format

http://www.stv.ee/~donq/sigma/X3FWorkshop-2012-11-10.zip

xpatUSA

• Blog

I have the download link for X3change (Author Arvo jaegel), but can't get in contact with him to ask for a fix for the new X3F file format

I correspond regularly with Arvo and, as far as I know, he has little interest in doing something for Merrill files which, IMHO, should be tagged .X3M or something. Arvo did some good work relevant to the SD9,10,14 and the early DP's. He posts regularly on the Sigma forum http://www.dpreview.com/forums/1027 as ArvoJ and might or might not be amenable to a PM from there.

As a longtime user of early Sigma DSLRs and sometime user of Adobe DNG Profile Editor, I would agree with the advice to make a TIFF from Sigma Photo Pro (SPP) and proceed from there with whatever tools are appropriate. For example, I could 'open as' a TIFF in ACR and then save as a DNG from there. I believe Adobe's DNG Converter also works on TIFFs and it certainly works on early X3Fs.

In ACR 5.4 and PSE, the only camera profile option for my X3F files is 'Embedded' and the drop-down does not change in spite of trying to put .dcp files in all sorts of places on my HD. Irritating, that. Enough to cause migration to RawTherapee for serious work (yeah, I know . . .)

Slightly OT, but SPP seems a bit generous in the saturation department: I find that -0.3 on the slider is more 'neutral' than zero sat.
best regards,

Ted

bwana

sorry to necro this old thread, but has anyone found a way to make a camera profile for the merrills? I cant seem to get the x3f profiles into colorchecker passport v 1.02 (the most recent version is 2011)
Pages: [1]   Go Up