Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: tripod head bh-55 question  (Read 4642 times)

mhospelt

• Michael Hospelt Photography
Re: tripod head bh-55 question
« Reply #20 on: July 05, 2013, 08:34:57 pm »

I also would opt for the B2 LLR II: 80mm LR clamp w/ dual mount, the wider plate gives even more stability.

Rand47

« Reply #21 on: July 05, 2013, 10:36:42 pm »

Hi

Thank for all the answers!

And which plate would you recommend: the L-plate or standard?

L-plate for sure IMO.  One of my a900 bodies has one permanently attached, along with the landscape grid screen in the viewfinder.  Always ready for the tripod. 

Rand
Rand Scott Adams

LawrenceBraunstein

• My SmugMug Galeries
« Reply #22 on: July 06, 2013, 02:51:42 am »

You don’t mention what camera(s) you are using. For most uses, I believe an L-Plate is the best choice. The speed with which one can change from a horizontal to a vertical format and the fact that practically no re-adjustment of tripod height or position is necessary make it a win-win situation for me.

Best of luck with your decision,

Larry

francois

« Reply #23 on: July 06, 2013, 05:05:57 am »

L-Plate! I would add that with some cameras and depending where the standard plate is attached (centred or off-center) it might be very difficult to use the vertical/portrait position as the camera body can hit the legs or the base plate of the tripod.
Francois

Conner999

« Reply #24 on: July 06, 2013, 06:55:07 am »

If you shoot tethered, the L plate can, depending on camera, often be a PITA when attaching the camera-side cord. BUT if you use just a bottom plate only, shooting portrait orientation can be less than ideal. You need to drop the ball over into one of it's notches and as one poster indicated, you need leg clearance for that.

Also, the BH55 isn't very smooth rotating 'up/down' when 'flopped' over 90 deg.  I use the bittom plate only as I shoot tethered, but am considering moving to an L simply for that reason - another vote for the L plate.

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #25 on: July 06, 2013, 07:55:49 am »

Hi,

L plates on all my cameras, all the time!

Exception, my Hasselblad 555ELD, where I can rotate the P45+ back instead of the camera.

Best regards
Erik

If you shoot tethered, the L plate can, depending on camera, often be a PITA when attaching the camera-side cord. BUT if you use just a bottom plate only, shooting portrait orientation can be less than ideal. You need to drop the ball over into one of it's notches and as one poster indicated, you need leg clearance for that.

Also, the BH55 isn't very smooth rotating 'up/down' when 'flopped' over 90 deg.  I use the bittom plate only as I shoot tethered, but am considering moving to an L simply for that reason - another vote for the L plate.
Erik Kaffehr

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up