Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: bird over water  (Read 636 times)

gerafotografija

• gerafotografija.wordpress.com
bird over water
« on: June 30, 2013, 04:26:08 am »

In working with this file, I realized I have made a few mistakes in processing similar images previously. One thing I did not do here is sharpen any sensor noise that showed up in the water behind the bird.

However, I am now curious if anyone will advise me on whether a print from a file like this would benefit from a little fine grain added? I used a relatively subtle simulated film grain setting in the second version. The close up on the right provides more of the detail.

I found this works wonders after NR with high ISO files for printing. It also seems to make a bigger difference for Fuji Xtrans files, but this is the OMD, at base ISO, so I am not sure if the flat looking expanse of blue is OK without adding texture?

If I were planning to print it, I would probably go with the Kodak lustre or Fuji Pearl that Bay Photo offers for larger prints.

DwayneOakes

Re: bird over water
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2013, 09:32:23 am »

if your editing software allows it try this trick, remove the noise from the image but go easy on it, then use USM selective sharpening on just the bird, it works wonders on this iuuse.
Your background will be smooth and your bird will be sharp. Cool heron.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2013, 09:34:10 am by DwayneOakes »

francois

Re: bird over water
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2013, 01:54:12 am »

I wouldn't add any noise to the background, at least in this case. On the bird, it might help.
Francois
Pages: [1]   Go Up