Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Can't purchase LR5 upgrade  (Read 5623 times)

mbaginy

Can't purchase LR5 upgrade
« on: June 29, 2013, 12:18:03 pm »

Trying to "check out" my purchase of LR5 upgrade at the Adobe online store does: nothing.  I can't get the "check out" button to operate.  Hovering the cursor over the button makes it turn into a hand and the button itself is highlighted as if active and the button does seem to move, but then absolutely nothing happens.  I've been trying for some two weeks, thinking it might be a momentary bug or overload of the site, but still no success.

Adobe recognizes my registration and former purchases but their (German) store won't function.  I can't use the US store since it redirects me to the German shop once I enter my credit card number.

Has anyone else encountered such a problem?

This isn't the first software I've bought as an online download, but it's the first time I've had this problem.

jpegman

Re: Can't purchase LR5 upgrade
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2013, 01:11:12 pm »

No problem here when I updated on day 1. However,every time I go to the Adobe store, a chat windows opens asking me if I would like to chat and I've often used it to get help - do you not have this pop-up?

mbaginy

« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2013, 01:26:35 pm »

No problem here when I updated on day 1. However,every time I go to the Adobe store, a chat windows opens asking me if I would like to chat and I've often used it to get help - do you not have this pop-up?

Nope, I've never encountered such a popup.  I've googled the issue and found, that I'm not alone in this matter.  But I haven't found any solution.  I've downloaded a trial version but am afraid, that when trying to purchase the software, after the trial period, that I'll run into the same issue.  Adobe hotline isn't operative on weekends, I just might have to sacrifice a day of vacation to stay home and hopefully iron out the issue.

Robert-Peter Westphal

• Nature-Photography Westphal
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2013, 02:17:50 pm »

Hi Mike,

I bought my Lightroom 5 update here EDV-Buchversand and received the package one day after I placed the order. The license number was inserted into my Adobe-account manually without any problems by me.

Good luck

Robert

'visit my completly renewed gallery at http://www.naturfotografie-westphal.com '

Richowens

« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2013, 03:05:26 pm »

Try a different browser. My attempt with IE8 resulted in a spinning wheel.

Safari worked for me. Then I remembered that I had to do the same thing when I purchased CS6.

Rich

Steve House

« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2013, 03:44:03 pm »

Sometimes these sorts of things can be remedied by clearing your browser's cache.

mbaginy

« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2013, 02:17:45 am »

Thanks everyone for your replies.  I cleared the cache, but that didn't help.  I shy away from ordering items because the delivery of packages to me has been problematic in the past.  So I'll take a trip down town next Saturday and hope for the local Apple shop (Gravis) to have LR5 in stock - probably the full version and no upgrade, but I'll see.

I can't imagine Adobe's online shopping site to be at fault since they'd certainly have noticed quickly, no sales in Germany.  Never had problems before when I bought various Photoshop and all past LR versions.

Thanks for your advice.

John S C

« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2013, 05:14:07 am »

I got my upgrade from Amazon. A little more expensive,  about £1.00 but I did get a CD. Arrived two days after I placed the order  ( and free delivery) .

mbaginy

« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2013, 05:32:45 am »

I got my upgrade from Amazon. A little more expensive,  about £1.00 but I did get a CD. Arrived two days after I placed the order  ( and free delivery) .

John - yes, Amazon is a dependable source of software, I've shopped with them in the past.  I shy away from having parcels delivered to my apartment since I'm not home during daytime and driving down town to pick up the parcel on a Saturday is a pain (long queues).  If our local Apple store doesn't stock LR5, I'll probably end up ordering from Amazon.

Thanks for your advice!

Robert-Peter Westphal

• Nature-Photography Westphal
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2013, 06:02:31 am »

John - yes, Amazon is a dependable source of software, I've shopped with them in the past.  I shy away from having parcels delivered to my apartment since I'm not home during daytime and driving down town to pick up the parcel on a Saturday is a pain (long queues).  If our local Apple store doesn't stock LR5, I'll probably end up ordering from Amazon.

Thanks for your advice!

Perhaps it could be a good idea to check whether you have a 'DHL Packstation' near your appartment. If you have one, you can have all packages sent there without paying additional fees and fetch them from there 24hours a day.
DHL-Packstationl

Robert
'visit my completly renewed gallery at http://www.naturfotografie-westphal.com '

mbaginy

« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2013, 07:54:57 am »

Perhaps it could be a good idea to check whether you have a 'DHL Packstation' near your appartment. If you have one, you can have all packages sent there without paying additional fees and fetch them from there 24hours a day.
DHL-Packstationl

Robert
That's a possibility I hadn't considered!  I'll take a closer look at that, thanks for your suggestion!

billh

« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2013, 08:35:05 am »

I had the same problem on a Mac, trying with both Safari and Firefox. I went through the “chat” routine, and finally had to call Adobe. They told me they had been having this problem. I ended up giving in and subscribing to their cloud for $19.95 month, which they said will continue for years because of a long history of purchases with them. I still don’t like it, but maybe time will change my attitude...

(I wonder if they did this deliberately to get people to call so they could give them their sales pitch. The guy I talked to was very good indeed.)

mbaginy

« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2013, 08:51:41 am »

Bill - I must say, I also though of some sort of deliberate bug to persuade folks to subscribe to their cloud.  I can't make friends with the idea yet so I won't make that transition.  Anyway, though I own CS6, Lightroom satisfies 99% of my post processing needs.  As long as LR is sold separately, I'll stick to the system I now operate.  Should LR become some sort of cloud-only subscription deal, I'll reluctantly look for alternative software.

Interesting, that you had a very similar experience trying to purchase LR.  I'd still like to know the cause of the phenomenon - as rare as it seems to be.

Thanks for your comments!

francois

« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2013, 02:01:36 am »

Bill - I must say, I also though of some sort of deliberate bug to persuade folks to subscribe to their cloud.  I can't make friends with the idea yet so I won't make that transition.  Anyway, though I own CS6, Lightroom satisfies 99% of my post processing needs.  As long as LR is sold separately, I'll stick to the system I now operate.  Should LR become some sort of cloud-only subscription deal, I'll reluctantly look for alternative software.

Interesting, that you had a very similar experience trying to purchase LR.  I'd still like to know the cause of the phenomenon - as rare as it seems to be.

Thanks for your comments!

FWIW, I had problems with Safari on a Mac. I could add the upgrade to the shopping basket but could proceed to checkout. I didn't investigate at all but I used Firefox and everything went fine. I must add that I was testing Safari extensions and my issue could coming from those custom extensions.
Francois

mbaginy

« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2013, 07:05:38 am »

Success!!!  ;D

I installed Firefox, and again tried to purchase the LR 5 upgrade.  No problem whatsoever using that browser.  I admit, that I'm using "Ghostery" with Safari to block the fairly large number of trackers.  During my attempted purchase of LR 5 using Safari, I also tried with Ghosterly turned off - but with no positive result.

I find it hard to believe, that Safari was somehow modified during a recent update to cause these problems.  For years I've been purchasing LR versions as well as Photoshop from Adobe's shop.

Oh well, I'll file this lesson under "new computer mystery" and continue learning LR 5.  Thanks, by the way to Michael and Jeff for their LR 5 tutorial!!!

phila

• www.philaphoto.com
« Reply #15 on: July 06, 2013, 11:06:53 pm »

I had the same problem using Safari. Had to use Chrome to make the purchase after speaking to an Adobe help desk. They were well aware of the problem.
Pages: [1]   Go Up