Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Keeping RAID  (Read 1143 times)

NigelC

Keeping RAID
« on: June 28, 2013, 06:10:50 am »

Mainly through failure to keep up on restore points, I need to reinstall Vista. I understand RAID is configured in BIOS so just re-installing OS should not delete RAID partitioning - is this correct?

PeterAit

• Peter Aitken Photographs
Re: Keeping RAID
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2013, 07:37:15 am »

That is correct. But, if at all possible, do yourself a big favor and upgrade to Win 7.

fike

• Hiker Photographer
    • trailpixie.net
Re: Keeping RAID
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2013, 09:42:21 am »

You are more or less correct...partitioning is actually done by the OS. I think what you mean is won't delete the RAID array. The OS will still need to create a new partition or to repair the installation if it is still somewhat functional on the old boot partition.

Yes, upgrade to Win7. It is much more stable than Vista and its compatibility with software and drivers is much better.

If it were me, I would still remake the partition in the BIOS.  It just makes things cleaner.  Hard drives and BIOS do a lot funny-business under the hood where you can't see it...mostly having to do with the boot parameters and such.  A clean creation of the RAID would make sure everything is done from scratch.  This approach may seem almost superstitious, but this is a windows computer. ;-)
Fike, Trailpixie, or Marc Shaffer
Pages: [1]   Go Up