Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Printing Problems with PS CC, but not CS5 or CS6  (Read 2171 times)

Chris_Brown

• Smile dammit!
    • Chris Brown Photography
Printing Problems with PS CC, but not CS5 or CS6
« on: June 27, 2013, 07:08:00 pm »

When printing from PS CC using the print dialogue box I am getting a severe red shift in the final print. When I print the same image from PS CS5 or CS6 I get a color-correct print.

I am running a MacPro with OS 10.7.5, and printing to a Canon iPF8300 with its latest firmware and print driver. I am using the proper ICC profile for the paper. In the print dialogue box, I select "Photoshop Manages Colors".

A couple things I noticed:
  • In the "Print Settings" where I dial in the printer setup, the settings for "Color" are both turned off (Colorsync & Vendor).
  • In the printer driver settings (still within "Print Settings") the "Color" tab is grayed out, but when I click the "Settings" for that sub-panel, Colorsync is selected.
  • When I printed the image from the Canon PS Plug-in, the red cast was gone, but the blacks were too heavy (there is no "Black Point Compensation" check box available because the Canon plug-in uses Adobe Color Engine for that, and it's only 32-bit and won't run).

Any advice or insight would be appreciated.
~ CB

hugowolf

Re: Printing Problems with PS CC, but not CS5 or CS6
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2013, 09:24:33 pm »

Today my main computer went down and I was left to printing from Photoshop CS on the standby laptop. I had forgotten just how bad printing was from Photoshop in any version. Tomorrow I will be loading Lightroom and QImage on to the laptop while I get parts for the main computer.

QImage is PC only, but you can run it under Parallels. Lightroom isn't that expensive, and there is the possibilty of Aperture on Mac.

Brian A

jerryrock

• The Grove Street Photographer
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2013, 11:43:30 pm »

Have you tried converting the file to the iPF paper profile in Photoshop and printing with the iPF plug-in with no color management selected?
Gerald J Skrocki

Chris_Brown

• Smile dammit!
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2013, 09:38:57 am »

From the Adobe PS CC forum:

Photoshop 14.0 or CC needs to be added to your AppColorMatchingInfo.xml file. That is the special cases file that the Canon driver reads so that when application manages color is selected in the print dialog the driver under Main/Color Mode: defaults to No Color Correction. If the internal file name of the application is not listed in the AppColorMatchingInfo.xml file Main/Color Mode will default to Color resulting in double profiling.

I have an updated AppColorMatchingInfo.xml and will test it later today.

If it works, then the issue rests with Canon and this .xml file that needs to be frequently updated.
~ CB

Chris_Brown

• Smile dammit!
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2013, 11:34:27 am »

The problem is indeed an .xml file that needed to be updated.

The updated file can be found here.

The Canon iPF drivers use a special cases file (/Library/Printers/Canon/GARO/Frameworks/GARO_CUPS.framework/Versions /A/Resources/AppColorMatchingInfo.xml) to identify applications such as PS or LR etc., so that when Application Manages Color is chosen in the print dialog, color management is turned off in the print driver. This .xml file resolves the issue for PS CC and several other programs, including i1Profiler and ColorBurst Overdrive.

Note that this fix applies only to Canon iPF printers.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2013, 01:01:43 pm by Chris_Brown »
~ CB
Pages: [1]   Go Up