Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Canvas feeding on 3800  (Read 2030 times)

Herbc

Canvas feeding on 3800
« on: June 27, 2013, 10:08:13 am »

I have read all the really great postings about Canvas and this printer, but I am hung on the first step.  I tape a piece of 17 in wide paper the the bottom edge of the canvas I am trying to print, and the rear feed won't take it. 
I keep getting "paper error". I have the platen gap at "wide"- the image size is 14x20, attempting on  17x22 Inkpress glossy canvas

Any wisdom here?

elolaugesen

Re: Canvas feeding on 3800
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2013, 03:40:06 pm »

Pc or mac?   Os?   Settings?

Can not comment without info... 

My 3800/3880 mac osx 10.8.4.  No prob rear

Cheers

Herbc

« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2013, 04:26:58 pm »

Mac, OS is Mountain Lion.  Not sure what you mean by settings.  Platen is set at wide, printing at 2880 dpi color image from Lightroom or CS6, does not matter to the printer.

I have had a few hit or miss prints by using the regular multi sheet feed slot and jerking the extra sheets out when the printer grabs on piece of canvas, but that is a little exciting and not necessarily repeatable.

StuNY

« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2013, 04:39:06 pm »

Maybe try turning off the paper alignment check from the menu? With my 3880 I do this, then just open the cover after loading to take a peak at the leading edge of canvas to make sure it is straight and at least 1/8" is showing. I just push canvas in by hand without anything added - the trick is to spread your 10 fingertips to the width of the canvas and gently push sheet in until it grabs. Works 100% of the time for me and I print a lot of canvas!

elolaugesen

« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2013, 06:11:17 pm »

Did you selcect rear feed, what paper type?  Etc.

Do not thonk you need 2880 for canvas? 

Herbc

« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2013, 09:10:40 pm »

I presume you are using the rear slot?

Herbc

« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2013, 09:11:52 pm »

I was using the rear slot, set for wide platen.

Herbc

« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2013, 09:12:34 pm »

Maybe try turning off the paper alignment check from the menu? With my 3880 I do this, then just open the cover after loading to take a peak at the leading edge of canvas to make sure it is straight and at least 1/8" is showing. I just push canvas in by hand without anything added - the trick is to spread your 10 fingertips to the width of the canvas and gently push sheet in until it grabs. Works 100% of the time for me and I print a lot of canvas!

You are using the rear slot, I presume?

StuNY

« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2013, 09:19:26 pm »

You are using the rear slot, I presume?
Yes rear manual feed. I found standing behind the printer was easiest to get your fingers in place to push it in evenly at first. Now I just use one hand/ a few fingers standing at the side. You get a feel for it after a while.

Herbc

« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2013, 10:28:23 am »

Yes rear manual feed. I found standing behind the printer was easiest to get your fingers in place to push it in evenly at first. Now I just use one hand/ a few fingers standing at the side. You get a feel for it after a while.

Would you be so kind as to give me your settings on the printer?  I am not having any luck at all with the platen set at wide. 

StuNY

« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2013, 01:36:17 pm »

I haven't had to adjust any of the settings- platen etc. I have the media type set to Velvet Fine Art per the instructions that came with the canvas printer profile. This leaves the platen setting on Automatic. With that said, when I was originally trying lots of canvas types before settling on one, it seemed there were a couple canvas' that I had more trouble feeding than others. They seemed a bit thinner or floppier.  It was back during my first attempts though so maybe they would work fine now with experienced technique.

I have settled on Hahnemuhle Monet Canvas for all my work now and it feeds great. I'm on my fourth roll. I just followed the directions exactly that came with their supplied profile. Now I have had a custom profile made but all the basic settings are the same. Oh, and it helps a lot to make sure your cuts are straight. A good rotary cutter makes this easy. Hope it helps.

Herbc

« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2013, 04:16:37 pm »

I am not able to get the menu option for printer adjustment to show up.  Might be my new Mountain Lion OS driver.  That might be a blessing, as I need to stop messing with this thing for the moment and regroup.

There was a posting back in January about a guy who used a heavy mat board as backing and fed everthing thru the front feed.  At this point my feeling is to go back to standard platen setting and keep working the rear feed.  My printer is at chin height, which makes pushing the paper into the rear feed a bit difficult.  I will make a T shaped arrangement with some rubbery tape on it to do that, should help once I get the platen adjusted.

thanks for the inputs.
Pages: [1]   Go Up