Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Tape for matting  (Read 2234 times)

mseawell

• Mark Seawell's Photo World
Tape for matting
« on: June 27, 2013, 05:39:29 am »

Does anyone have any suggestions for matt tape on my inkjet prints? I'm not pleased with the brand I'm using. It especially seems to have some issues sticking when I print on Canson Infinity 2273 Baryta Photographique Inkjet 13x19 Paper. Comes off very quickly. This is especially annoying since a lot of my matted prints are sold at the mall. I'm getting tired of having to retape them.

Thanks!

Mark Seawell

LawrenceBraunstein

• My SmugMug Galeries
Re: Tape for matting
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2013, 06:54:02 am »

For many years I have been using ‘filmoplast P90’, manufactured by ‘Neschen’, quite successfully. The tape is produced here in Germany but is sold world-wide. I’ve used it on everything from museum board to silver prints to both matte and glossy inkjet prints, and have never experienced any problems whatsoever. It is made of wood pulp and is buffered with calcium carbonate. Neschen offers a whole slew of similar products and it would probably be worthwhile for you to take a look at some of their alternatives.
Best of luck,
Larry

mseawell

• Mark Seawell's Photo World
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2013, 07:43:32 am »

LOL! Thanks but that is what I'm using!

Mark

framah

« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2013, 03:27:18 pm »

You do know you need to burnish the tape to the paper, right?  A burnishing bone will do it. That is how the adhesive is activated. Also, where are you putting the tape.. on the front or the back of the paper? Never put tape on the front.

A T-hinge on the back is how it's done. What are you then taping it to... the back of the mats or a backer board like acid free foam core or another piece of matboard?
I have never had a problem with P-90 not sticking to anything except for a pastel drawing and that was only because there was pastel on the back of the paper so it didn't want to stick.

Give yourself a bit more paper around the image and use corner pockets...problem solved.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2013, 03:35:34 pm by framah »
"It took a  lifetime of suffering and personal sacrifice to develop my keen aesthetic sense."

hugowolf

« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2013, 09:28:00 pm »

Does anyone have any suggestions for matt tape on my inkjet prints? I'm not pleased with the brand I'm using. It especially seems to have some issues sticking when I print on Canson Infinity 2273 Baryta Photographique Inkjet 13x19 Paper. Comes off very quickly. This is especially annoying since a lot of my matted prints are sold at the mall. I'm getting tired of having to retape them.
Mark Seawell
I have been using Lineco self adhesive for years and have never had a problem with it.

Brian A

Justan

• Justan-Elk.com
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2013, 01:56:30 pm »

I have used Lineco linen hinging tape and it works great except in cold temps with high humidity.

RFPhotography

« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2013, 08:59:44 am »

I use Lineco linen tape as well.  It works well.  It's considered 'archival'.  The U.S Library of Congress recommends against self-adhesive tape but I think their recommendations may be a bit out of date.  You do need to use the tape fairly quickly as the adhesive dries out if it's left sitting around for more than a couple months.

framah

« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2013, 09:19:09 am »

Ok, Bob and Justan... if you are using the LINEN tape for hinging your photos, that is a serious NO-NO!!!

Never use anything  that is stronger than the paper you are mounting. The idea is that if for some reason the piece drops off the wall, the TAPE will tear before the ART will tear. The whole idea is to protect the art. Once the art tears because the fabric tape didn't, it has lost it's value. Proper "archival" mounting allows you to revert the piece back to its original condition.

If you want to tape hinge, at least use the P90 and not the linen tape. At least this tape can be removed with some distilled water on a Q tip to re-eactivate the adhesive.
"It took a  lifetime of suffering and personal sacrifice to develop my keen aesthetic sense."

hugowolf

« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2013, 12:33:08 pm »

... made of wood pulp ...
That is interesting. The data sheet for P90 claims it is "wood-free". Perhaps it is just a bad translation of lignin free?

Brian A

LawrenceBraunstein

• My SmugMug Galeries
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2013, 03:44:33 pm »

I stand corrected! You are absolutely right. I read the information on the packaging incorrectly. It states quite clearly that the tape is "free from wood pulp". Sorry for the misinformation, and thank you for noticing the mistake.
Best regards,
Larry

hugowolf

« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2013, 08:26:56 pm »

I stand corrected! You are absolutely right. I read the information on the packaging incorrectly. It states quite clearly that the tape is "". Sorry for the misinformation, and thank you for noticing the mistake.
It is hard to say what "free from wood pulp" actually means. If it isn't made from wood pulp paper, then why no just say that, as in 'not made from wood pulp' rather than 'free from wood pulp', which has some implications of the pulp having been removed at a stage in the process.

The data sheet almost looks like Google translate was used to create it:

'Tuning and dynamics of the adhesive forces development allows immediate correction during application, on the other hand it ensures sufficient forces after their evolution.' Whatever that means.

Brian A
Pages: [1]   Go Up