Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Fujifilm X-E1 - Shooting in Adobe RGB and converting to srgb in Photoshop  (Read 6403 times)

flbrit

Just been trying to convert some of my RAF files to JPG srgb for web display using CS6 and the latest camera raw update.

When I do the convert to profile command, the display cannot show some of the colors, especially certain greens and blues. They just come out as black areas on the display.

I have not noticed this before as I usually print my photographs without converting to the smaller color space.

Anyone?

Brian

ps - Don't have this issue with my Canon G10, Pany LX5, Sony RX100, and Nikon D800e files or my earlier DSLRs. So I figure it is X Trans related.

My workflow is always open in Pro 16 bit which has worked well with my other cameras.

pps - not really a newb. just do not post a lot!
« Last Edit: June 25, 2013, 04:32:11 pm by flbrit »
Brian

xpatUSA

• Blog

Hi Brian, odd that nobody has responded to this post.

Just been trying to convert some of my RAF files to JPG srgb for web display using CS6 and the latest camera raw update.

The thread title says "Shooting in Adobe RGB and converting to srgb in Photoshop" but, above you're talking about opening RAW files and converting them, so which is it you're doing? I'll assume the latter . . .

I have none of your stuff but, since I do only make sRGB files for display on computer monitors, I can make some general comments:

[My workflow is always open in Pro 16 bit] When I do the convert to profile command, the display cannot show some of the colors, especially certain greens and blues. They just come out as black areas on the display.

A RAW file opened in the ProPhoto color space will not likely have out-of-gamut colors in that space. When you convert the working file to sRGB, any out-of-gamut colors will be clipped - even if the profile says "perceptual" and this behavior is opposite to printing where, if you ask for "perceptual rendering" you'll usually get it. I think the black areas are warning you of out-of-gamut colors and you should see greens and blues on your monitor if you turn off the gamut warning in CS6 - someone here will tell you how.

I have not noticed this before as I usually print my photographs without converting to the smaller color space.

As you know though, the file does get converted on its way to your printer's color space which might, or might not be "bigger" than sRGB ;-)

Does the XE-1 come with a RAW converter? Sometimes the camera manufacturers converter is better than 3rd party stuff like Adobe.

Certainly the case for Sigma cameras for example; (just talking about the conversion quality, not speed or edit functions).

I would be inclined (for web output) to use the camera manufacturers converter to output an 8 or 16-bit sRGB TIFF and open that in CS6 for editing and save it for the web (JPEG).

« Last Edit: August 03, 2013, 11:20:58 am by xpatUSA »
best regards,

Ted

Schewe

• http:www.schewephoto.com

When I do the convert to profile command, the display cannot show some of the colors, especially certain greens and blues. They just come out as black areas on the display.

Sorry I didn't see this post before (that was about the time my book was in the final throes of being getting ready for printing) but to the OP and others, seeing certain greens and blues as black is a telltale sign of a bad driver on Windows (which you didn't bother mentioning). You need a video card driver update...that should fix the green/blue as black situation.

xpatUSA

• Blog

. . . I think the black areas are warning you of out-of-gamut colors and you should see [certain] greens and blues on your monitor if you turn off the gamut warning in CS6 - someone here will tell you how.

Hello again Brian,

If, by any chance, fixing the video driver doesn't change your situation, you can read about gamut warning in CS6 here:

http://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/using/color-adjustments.html  (scroll down to the bottom).

Also the subject is addressed quite well here:

http://www.earthboundlight.com/phototips/taking-control-gamut-warnings.html where Bob Johnson says:

With soft proofing setup the image you see on your screen will be modified to match as close as possible to how it will print with those settings. To see the out-of-gamut colors that required modification, turn on View >> Gamut Warnings. Colors in your image that lie outside the selected target profile will be overlaid with the Photoshop gamut warning color. What color that is depends on your choice in Edit >> Preferences >> Transparency and Gamut. The default gamut warning color is a neutral medium toned gray which is frankly one of the worst choices for gamut warnings since it's so boring. You want a color that is going to jump out at you so you notice it. I generally go with a brilliant cyan, but depending on your particular image some other color may be better. Pick a color not found in your image if you can.
(my emphasis).

By the way, you're not actually using soft-proofing to view your web images, are you?
« Last Edit: August 03, 2013, 12:22:06 pm by xpatUSA »
best regards,

Ted
Pages: [1]   Go Up