Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: NSFW in Thread Titles, PLEASE!!!  (Read 12346 times)

fike

• Hiker Photographer
    • trailpixie.net
NSFW in Thread Titles, PLEASE!!!
« on: June 25, 2013, 02:40:35 pm »

I just clicked on two consecutive critique threads, both with nudity.  While I have no objections to nudity in art, I sometimes view this material from a workplace where these things are inappropriate.  Please add a tag in the thread title (like NSFW or nudity) so that people can choose not to open those threads at inappropriate times.

Again, I have no objection to nudity in art or landscape photography or whatever.

thanks,
Fike, Trailpixie, or Marc Shaffer

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
    • http://myrvaagnes.com
Re: NSFW in Thread Titles, PLEASE!!!
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2013, 06:17:08 pm »

Never having seen the term, I had to ask Google to find out what "NSFW" meant.

Since I retired about eight years ago, I haven't had to worry about thread titles.   ;)

Eric M.

-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

kaelaria

• http://www.bgpictures.com
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2013, 06:19:37 pm »

Don't surf the internet at work ;)

Vladimirovich

« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2013, 08:25:25 pm »

may be he is the owner, so he can surf... but at the same time he is afraid that his employee will sue him for that american thing.

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2013, 08:34:12 pm »

+1

fike

• Hiker Photographer
    • trailpixie.net
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2013, 08:38:30 pm »

This is a matter of online etiquette.  There are a variety of reasons people might not want to see nudity. Descriptive titles help people to make their own choices so that they don't demand an authority censors the choices.  My issue is that I am sometimes at work, and it is inappropriate in the US workplace to look at explicit content.  I restrict my lunch reading to sites where I can trust that I won't accidentally stumble on nudity, and LuLa has always been that way in the past.  

I hope that LuLa can stay on my lunchtime reading list since it is some of the most interesting reading I am able to find.

fike

• Hiker Photographer
    • trailpixie.net
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2013, 08:41:07 pm »

I am trying to be earnest and I am being assailed with snarkiness about looking at the internet at work.  That aint nice considering I am making a reasoned and polite suggestion.

KirbyKrieger

• Kirby Krieger Pictures
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2013, 09:07:07 pm »

I just clicked on two consecutive critique threads, both with nudity.  While I have no objections to nudity in art, I sometimes view this material from a workplace where these things are inappropriate.  Please add a tag in the thread title (like NSFW or nudity) so that people can choose not to open those threads at inappropriate times.

Again, I have no objection to nudity in art or landscape photography or whatever.

thanks,

+1.  There is no additional commentary needed at this point.

Slobodan Blagojevic

• My website
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2013, 09:08:43 pm »

... so that they don't demand an authority censors the choices...

Good luck with that. At the same time, it is worth reminding that the worst form of censorship is self-censorship.

... it is inappropriate in the US workplace to look at explicit content...

For that to become an issue, there has to be a pattern (of repeated behavior) and intent to create a "hostile work environment."  A few seconds before you close the thread is not going to create any trouble for anyone.

Ultimately, if you are so paranoid or if you work in such an ultra-sensitive environment, stop frequenting photographic sites, because, you know, they tend to contain... photographs.  Better switch to CNN and watch to your (and your co-workers) heart's content idillic scenes from the latest carnage by suicide bombers around the world. That, I gather, is accepted as quite appropriate?

Even better, get off the chair, walk around, get some fresh air... good for circulation, you know. And improves productivity.

« Last Edit: June 25, 2013, 09:10:40 pm by Slobodan Blagojevic »

RFPhotography

« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2013, 09:17:09 pm »

I think Slobodan is generally right but for different reasons.  If company rules forbid the use of company provided internet connections to view explicit material, then that's all that's required for disciplinary action.  Where the 'hostile work environment' comes into play is if the employee subjects others to the material either visually or verbally.

The idea to put NSFW or 'Contains nudity' or something similar in the thread title is a reasonable one.

michael

« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2013, 09:20:45 pm »

Nudity? Here?

Humm. Guess I need to look around more.

Michael

Ps: The Op's point is well made and worth posters keeping in mind.

Slobodan Blagojevic

• My website
« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2013, 09:26:13 pm »

... If company rules forbid the use of company provided internet connections to view explicit material, then that's all that's required for disciplinary action...

Again, there has to be an intent to view explicit material, for instance if someone visits, say, xxx dot com or similar.

RFPhotography

« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2013, 10:30:29 pm »

Not necessarily.  And it depends on jurisdiction.

Rand47

« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2013, 10:55:23 pm »

For that to become an issue, there has to be a pattern (of repeated behavior) and intent to create a "hostile work environment."  A few seconds before you close the thread is not going to create any trouble for anyone

You're a little out of touch with the degree of hyper-sensitivity which is (sadly) the norm in many workplaces in the US.  Many employers have adopted zero tolerance policies.

The OP's request is legitimate, IMO, and certainly not deserving of the negative and condescending tone of many of the responses thus far. 

Rand
Rand Scott Adams

Slobodan Blagojevic

• My website
« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2013, 11:09:20 pm »

...The OP's request is legitimate..

I am sorry, but i strongly disagree. It is not our job to worry about his (potential) work issues. It is his. As mentioned, just do not waste company time or resources on private matters. Period. I actually can not believe people's nerve to request such a thing.

Rand47

« Reply #15 on: June 26, 2013, 12:27:20 am »

I am sorry, but i strongly disagree. It is not our job to worry about his (potential) work issues. It is his. As mentioned, just do not waste company time or resources on private matters. Period. I actually can not believe people's nerve to request such a thing.

I completely agree... it is not our job.  It is a request for a courtesy. 

Kindness and extending oneself "a little" for the benefit of colleagues and friends seems to have gone out of fashion. I for one think we're the poorer for it.

Rand
Rand Scott Adams

32BT

• Pictures
« Reply #16 on: June 26, 2013, 12:59:48 am »

I completely agree... it is not our job.  It is a request for a courtesy. 

Kindness and extending oneself "a little" for the benefit of colleagues and friends seems to have gone out of fashion. I for one think we're the poorer for it.

Rand

What courtesy? How are we supposed to distinguish what constitutes NSFW and for whom? This is an international forum. A photographers forum to be exact, and their work is exactly that: looking at images. How can you then say NSFW?

The only courtesy that we used to have and a request that might be met, is that some images may be more appropriate for indirect links, and not as inline content. But even then, some of the work over in the medium format threads is simply too good and absolutely tasteful and artistic, and I would ROFLMAO if I ever read:

NSFW: recent professional work

on a photography forum.

Regards,
~ O ~
If you can stomach it: pictures

John Camp

« Reply #17 on: June 26, 2013, 01:35:30 am »

Man, all the guy was asking for was a little note -- "May be NSFW." Even FARK, possibly one of the snarkiest forums on the net, does it. Nobody's suggesting censorship; just a little courtesy.

ripgriffith

• ripsart.com
« Reply #18 on: June 26, 2013, 01:42:59 am »

How are we supposed to distinguish what constitutes NSFW and for whom?
I am surprised and not a little disappointed that so few of the respondents to this thread have the intelligence to figure out what might possibly be considered "NSFW" or the courtesy (yes, in many cultures it really is considered to be a virtue) to add those four easy-to-type letters.  And for those of you who got your knickers in a knot over this, it isn't self-censorship, it's freedom with responsibility, something which seems to have been lost along with courtesy.

Slobodan Blagojevic

• My website
« Reply #19 on: June 26, 2013, 02:38:37 am »

Courtesy = holding the door for bank robbers on their way out? ;)

Edited for typo.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2013, 09:21:33 pm by Slobodan Blagojevic »
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up