Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: LR 5 smart collection weirdness  (Read 2230 times)

PeterAit

• Peter Aitken Photographs
LR 5 smart collection weirdness
« on: June 25, 2013, 09:20:23 am »

I have a folder named Nicaragua 2012. I also have a collection named Nica for Web in which I put those photos I want on my web site. Finally, I have created a smart collection that shows me Nicaragua photos that are not already on the web site. It is defined with 2 criteria:

Is in folder "Nicaragua 2012"
and
Is not in collection "Nica for Web"

This worked fine in LR4. Now this smart collection is picking up not only all the photos it is supposed to, but also all the photos from a folder named "Christmas 2012."

This is truly bizarre, any ideas?

john beardsworth

• My photography site
Re: LR 5 smart collection weirdness
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2013, 09:32:51 am »

It's possible something has changed in LR5 smart collections but I doubt it (my complaint would be that Adobe have done so little to to them!)

What are your exact criteria? Something like "Folder / Contains All / Nicaragua 2012" would exclude Christmas.

John

PeterAit

« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2013, 09:57:19 am »

Very odd - my criterion was Folder | Contains | Nicaragua 2012. I changed it to Folder | Contains All | Nicaragua 2012 and the problem was solved, all the Christmas photos were gone. But the first criterion should have worked as well (and did in LR4).

Steve House

« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2013, 01:08:07 pm »

Sounds like it is interpreting the original criteria as "Nicaragua" OR "2012", not "Nicaragua" AND "2012"

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2013, 01:27:51 pm »

Yes, that's why Contains All is the best choice. It's still pretty dumb as it won't test for "Nicaragua 2012" as a single term but looks for the presence of the individual words. So it can't distinguish between "2012 Nicaragua" and "Nicaragua 2012" (or more meaningful multi-word combinations).

dieter268

« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2013, 02:48:48 am »

Wouldn't it be useful to rename the folder to Nicaragua_2012 ? (With a underscore instead of the space)
It is one "word" then and no missinterpretation should be possible.

I'm  astrong believer in the "No spaces in any filename or folder (directory) name" theory, it solves more problems then it is to hit the (smaller) _ key instead of the wide space key ;)

Dieter

32BT

• Pictures
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2013, 03:04:49 am »

Yes, that's why Contains All is the best choice. It's still pretty dumb as it won't test for "Nicaragua 2012" as a single term but looks for the presence of the individual words. So it can't distinguish between "2012 Nicaragua" and "Nicaragua 2012" (or more meaningful multi-word combinations).

Some search engines allow exact matches by using quotes. Don't know whether LR allows that or how it interprets quotes, but that way it might distinguish those cases properly.

e.g. Folder / Contains / "Nicaragua 2012"
Regards,
~ O ~
If you can stomach it: pictures

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2013, 03:29:51 am »

Some search engines allow exact matches by using quotes. Don't know whether LR allows that or how it interprets quotes, but that way it might distinguish those cases properly.

e.g. Folder / Contains / "Nicaragua 2012"

Oh yes, it's not as if Adobe would need to re-invent the wheel. FYI I don't think quotes work like that anywhere in LR, though in the filter panel you can use similar stuff like "!" for "not".

But I feel Adobe are right not to have gone further in that direction - too many people would never discover these methods. Instead Adobe need to refine criteria that are already in LR and make them more consistent. That's why I pointed to the Job criterion where you can create a SC such as "Job / Is / Nicaragua 2012". Another example is "Is Empty" which is available as a criterion for Caption but not for Title, where you need to use "Title / Does not contain / a e i o u" to achieve the same result.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2013, 03:42:44 am by johnbeardy »

PeterAit

« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2013, 08:19:27 am »

I have figured it out. My criterion "contains|Nicaragua 2012" picked up any folder that also included "2012". By changing to "contains all" I got only the single folder I desired. FWIW, putting Nicaragua 2012 in quotes does not work.
Pages: [1]   Go Up