Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: fujifilm x-pro 1 raw files  (Read 10690 times)

Sylvia Renick

fujifilm x-pro 1 raw files
« on: June 24, 2013, 04:25:57 pm »

Does Lightroom 4.4 support Fujifilm x-pro1 raw file conversion?

Alan Smallbone

• APS Photography
Re: fujifilm x-pro 1 raw files
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2013, 05:14:54 pm »

Yes as does LR 5

Alan
Alan Smallbone
Orange County, CA

Sylvia Renick

« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2013, 07:58:58 pm »

Alan,

Thanks for your help!

Doug Peterson

• http://www.doug-peterson.com
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2013, 10:27:07 pm »

If you have an x-pro 1 I think you owe it to yourself to process a few samples through the free trials of both LR and Capture One.

"Support" means the file opens and works. The *quality* of conversion is an entirely different question.

ario

« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2013, 10:44:05 pm »

For the demosaicing of Fuji x-Pro1 raw files LR is not among the best available raw converters; not only CO but also Aperture and AccuRaw are doing a better job in my opinion.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2013, 10:59:37 pm by ario »

RFPhotography

« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2013, 10:38:02 am »

For the demosaicing of Fuji x-Pro1 raw files LR is not among the best available raw converters; not only CO but also Aperture and AccuRaw are doing a better job in my opinion.

How recently have you tried it?  Based on what I've read, Adobe has been working closely with Fuji on the files from these X-Trans sensors and the results are now on par with other camera brands.  If your comment is about the conversion of RAW files generally in ACR/LR that's a different matter.

ario

« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2013, 11:20:38 am »

How recently have you tried it?  Based on what I've read, Adobe has been working closely with Fuji on the files from these X-Trans sensors and the results are now on par with other camera brands.  If your comment is about the conversion of RAW files generally in ACR/LR that's a different matter.
My comment is specific to the conversion of the Fuji X-Trans raw files and is based on very recent experience with the currently available version of ACR/LR. Lightroom is my main tool not only for organizing but also for converting and editing and in general I am absolutely more than happy with it, but even after the improvement you have mentioned the demosaicing of the Fuji X-Trans file is not of the same quality of the competition in particular on the control of color smearing on transition zones between solid colors.

Alan Smallbone

• APS Photography
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2013, 02:14:34 pm »

I use both Lightroom and Capture One, but I am probably going to move more to C1, as I like the Fuji output better. I agree give C1 a trail, it is good for 60 days and compare for yourself. I only mentioned lightroom because that is what you asked.

Alan
Alan Smallbone
Orange County, CA

Sylvia Renick

« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2013, 06:07:37 pm »

Thank-you all for your input.
I'm currently using a Canon 7D however I would like something lighter for some of my hiking trips and travel, hence the interest in the Fujifilm XPro 1.  While I have been a passionate photographer for over 30 years I confess that leap into digital photography has been slomo! This site has become my personal USB cable to the world of digital education. I like the idea of trying Capture 1.

James R

« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2013, 06:39:35 pm »

I have a question regarding using C1.  Has anybody opened the Fuji raw file in C1, exported it as a TIFF, and then upload it into LR5?  Would this workflow alleviate the LR5 problems with X-Trans files?

DaveCurtis

• http://www.magiclight.co.nz
« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2013, 09:02:48 pm »

Has anyone tried Iridient Developer. Mac only, but it is getting good reviews for X-Trans demosaicing

Doug Peterson

• http://www.doug-peterson.com
« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2013, 10:43:25 pm »

[C1 > tiff > LR] is a great workflow if you want to catalog in LR. Yes it will preserve the raw processing quality of the c1 demosaicing and color algorithms. You should do most of the major adjustments to white balance, contrast, and curves/highlight/shadow before going to tiff.

ario

« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2013, 10:48:52 pm »

Has anyone tried Iridient Developer. Mac only, but it is getting good reviews for X-Trans demosaicing
In my opinion it does a very good job, both with the native demosaicing (recent addition) and with the Apple raw support.

James R

« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2013, 11:34:19 pm »

If you have an x-pro 1 I think you owe it to yourself to process a few samples through the free trials of both LR and Capture One.

"Support" means the file opens and works. The *quality* of conversion is an entirely different question.

Thanks Doug

Sylvia Renick

« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2013, 09:04:15 am »

Doug I have not yet purchased the camera but feel certain that I will. I also already have Lightroom 4. I plan to try Capture 1. Do you think there is another software I should try as well?

Manoli

« Reply #15 on: June 30, 2013, 09:33:49 am »

Sylvia, just in case you have any lingering doubts you may want to review this thread as well ..
http://www.luminous-landscape.com/forum/index.php?topic=78838.0

IMHO, both C1 and Iridient Developer are way ahead of LR4, LR5 is allegedly improved. The new Iridient Developer (2.1.1) is excellent.
Pages: [1]   Go Up