Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Panasonic File Numbering Puzzle  (Read 1907 times)

Remo Nonaz

• Photography By Homer Shannnon
Panasonic File Numbering Puzzle
« on: June 24, 2013, 08:58:27 am »

This past weekend I shot a charity golf event using my GH2. I took a lot of photos and wondered how many I had actually taken. Using the file numbers, I subtracted _1160924 (the first file number) from _1170831 (the last file number). Let's see... 9,907 shots!! Well no; the actual number was 907.

It seems that when the camera hit _1160999, it didn't go to _1161000, it went to _1170001. This isn't a big deal, though it does make counting your shots more difficult. Why would the camera count this way? Is Panasonic reserving the 4th order digit for something special?
« Last Edit: June 24, 2013, 09:13:23 am by Remo Nonaz »
I really enjoy using old primes on my m4/3 camera. There's something about having to choose your aperture and actually focusing your camera that makes it so much more like... like... PHOTOGRAPHY!

bns

• Boudewijn Swanenburg Photography
Re: Panasonic File Numbering Puzzle
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2013, 10:12:35 am »

I seem to remember that it has to do with the folder structure on the memory card. Whenever 999 images are recorded, the camera generates a new folder for subsequent images. The first three integers of the filenumber are in fact the folder number.
I agree, still confusing.

Boudewijn Swanenburg

Remo Nonaz

• Photography By Homer Shannnon
Re: Panasonic File Numbering Puzzle
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2013, 10:30:45 am »

That would make sense. I noticed that there were two folders on the card and wondered about that, too, but did not mention it as Lr didn't seem to care when I imported and just brought all the files in at once. Thank you.
I really enjoy using old primes on my m4/3 camera. There's something about having to choose your aperture and actually focusing your camera that makes it so much more like... like... PHOTOGRAPHY!
Pages: [1]   Go Up