Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Replacing hard drive  (Read 4441 times)

huguito

Replacing hard drive
« on: June 23, 2013, 10:41:28 pm »

I am replacing the C drive in a Hewlett Packard desktop

Do I need to purchase a new copy of Windows 7 again to install in the new drive?

Is there an option of downloading windows 7 using the serial number on the sticker of the desktop to authorize it?

Thanks

Hugo

kaelaria

• http://www.bgpictures.com

Jim Kasson

• The Last Word
Re: Replacing hard drive
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2013, 11:08:34 pm »

I am replacing the C drive in a Hewlett Packard desktop

If the machine is in warranty, call hp support.

If it's not, look for a CD or DVD that came with your computer. It may have the OS and all the drivers (and shovelware) on it.

If you can't find the CD, assuming the machine won't boot into the OS from the C: drive, can you look at that drive when it's installed on another computer and see a recovery partition? If you can, you may be able to copy that partition to the new C: drive. Alternatively, you may be able to find a program that makes recovery CDs or DVDs. If you can, run that program, and use the CDs to restore your C: drive. If you ran that program when you got your computer, look for the disk(s),

You paid for your OS; you shouldn't have to do it again.

huguito

« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2013, 11:27:45 pm »

Thanks Kaelaria
I am downloading it now   

kaelaria

• http://www.bgpictures.com
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2013, 11:33:58 pm »

No prob.  I do that all the time when people bring me pre-made systems that die.  It's by far the best option anyway, getting you a perfect bs free install from the start.  Just did one Friday for a dead HP.

PeterAit

• Peter Aitken Photographs
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2013, 08:33:42 am »

Did you make a system image and a repair CD? If so, just install the new HD, boot off the repair CD, and restore the image (which will likely be on a USB drive). Your computer will be restored to precisely the state it was when you made the image. Believe me, this can be a lifesaver compared with manually reinstalling the OS and all programs. I make a system image once a week.

huguito

« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2013, 03:24:43 pm »

No Peter, I didn't.
No idea how to do that either

John.Murray

• Images by Murray
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2013, 03:33:53 pm »

huquito:
Creating a system image, then restoring onto a new drive has a lot of advantages, the major one is that you'll end up with *exactly* what you have now, including software, settings, etc...

You'll either need a pile of DVD's or an external USB drive

1) Click Start, the in Search box, type "backup" (without quotes), select Backup and Restore from the list.
2) In the Windows Backup application, select Create System Image
3) Select your destination, and continue ....  After completion, you will be prompted to create a System Restore disk.
4) Remove old drive and install new drive in it's place
5) boot the system off of the System Restore disk, select Repair my Computer, then Restore System ....

huguito

« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2013, 04:52:22 pm »

Thanks a lot. I will keep this, sounds like cheap insurance.

fike

• Hiker Photographer
    • trailpixie.net
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2013, 09:54:13 am »

I am not sure anyone answered the question about the license.

NO, your windows license is for that machine.  You can re-install using any discs (or images) of the same edition of windows and your license # will be valid.  You may need a call to Microsoft to get the license activated, but when that happens you just need to explain to the customer service rep that your HD died and you re-installed on a new drive.
Fike, Trailpixie, or Marc Shaffer

Justan

• Justan-Elk.com
« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2013, 10:09:23 am »

From the dept. of fwiw, I’ve done new drive builds on a few HP computers and in those instances I was required to use HP supplied OS. Evidently in at least some HP systems there is code that checks for the install media having some HP OEM content. A retail version would not work.

The good news is that HP sent me replacement media for about $20 iirc. I had to provide them with the computer’s identification number.

OldRoy

• http://
« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2013, 01:43:00 pm »

The posts so far have already covered the essentials but here are a couple of comments.

Win 7 system image creation and recovery disc are extremely simple and there's no excuse for not adopting them. Personally I use this technique for the system only and back up data files separately. Previous HD cloning systems like Acronis were, IMHO, quite abominable.

On OS licensing I believe there's a limit to the amount of hardware you can change before MS decides that it's a completely different machine. Replacing the HD, MB and processor at one go probably wouldn't pass: replacing the HD is no big deal, even if you have to do it more than once.
Roy
Pages: [1]   Go Up