Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: The Sermon  (Read 1000 times)

Chris Calohan

• Editing Allowed
The Sermon
« on: June 23, 2013, 08:59:13 pm »

If it Ain't Broke, Leave it Alone; if it is Broke, Fix it; if it's a Maybe, Play With it - Who Knows

Chairman Bill

• flickr page
Re: The Sermon
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2013, 01:19:35 am »

Nicely done. I might have to take my camera to work with me & photograph the street-preachers in Cardiff. The main difference is that you'll note that nobody is listening to them, except maybe the pigeons.

DougJ

« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2013, 02:17:32 am »

Listening--not? May be, yes. 

You know, it goes in one ear, and before coming out the other it has to pass through the subconscious.

Just a thought.

Ciao,

Doug

stamper

« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2013, 03:55:02 am »

There is a difference between listening and hearing just as there is a difference between seeing an looking. Listening and seeing means you have to make the effort and have the abilities to understand. :)

Chairman Bill

• flickr page
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2013, 04:16:17 am »

I think the ability to understand is there, just no interest in what they're peddling

stamper

« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2013, 04:46:52 am »

I agree 100% with you on this one. The ones I see in the streets of Glasgow have a lot of space around them because people who were previously walking in a straight line suddenly veer off to the right or left and then continue walking in a straight line. :)

Chris Calohan

• Editing Allowed
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2013, 07:41:03 am »

These folks are a bit of a captive audience. This guy is a preacher for a local church charity that feeds the homeless every Monday, Wednesday and Friday night. The longer the waiting crowd doesn't pay attention, the longer he spiels them into aural submission. You listen or look like you are, you eat warm food or at least you get to eat before it gets dark. The girl across the street had to wait for a friend to bring her food because he refused her. Very Christian of him, I thought.
If it Ain't Broke, Leave it Alone; if it is Broke, Fix it; if it's a Maybe, Play With it - Who Knows

Chairman Bill

• flickr page
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2013, 09:13:10 am »

These folks are a bit of a captive audience. This guy is a preacher for a local church charity that feeds the homeless every Monday, Wednesday and Friday night. The longer the waiting crowd doesn't pay attention, the longer he spiels them into aural submission. You listen or look like you are, you eat warm food or at least you get to eat before it gets dark. The girl across the street had to wait for a friend to bring her food because he refused her. Very Christian of him, I thought.

I think that's what's called preying on the vulnerable. Altogether less positive than praying for the vulnerable (not that the latter seems to do any good anyway)
Pages: [1]   Go Up