Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Inexpensive roll paper  (Read 2079 times)

JeffW

Inexpensive roll paper
« on: June 23, 2013, 11:40:10 am »

I am in need of an inexpensive roll paper, that I can do daily test prints on. Only need 8.5" wide, but am looking for low cost, since these will just be throw aways. Any suggestions?

Ken Doo

• Carmel Fine Art Printing & Reproduction
Re: Inexpensive roll paper
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2013, 01:13:18 pm »

Jeff,

If using this paper to run HHC on your 4900, you can use any paper----so even a tray full of 20lb typing paper should work.  I use HHC on a 44" printer mainly, so roll paper is what I use.  But rather than stock something just for HHC in rolls, I simply use a 10" roll of inexpensive lustre inkjet paper.  I'd rather use something "in stock" in my studio that can be put into use elsewhere.  Kodak Professional Lustre inkjet paper and Epson Premium Lustre both come in 10" rolls.  Epson is slightly less expensive at www.itsupplies.com   About $44 for a 100' roll.   I really haven't seen other 10" rolls available....

ken

JeffW

« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2013, 02:13:46 pm »

Thanks Ken, the 20lb paper would be the least expensive option. After all the test print process just needs a substrate to print on. My only concern would whether using copy paper would introduce more contaminants into the printer than photo paper? As finicky as my 4900 has been I would hate to introduce more problems. Any thoughts?

Ken Doo

« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2013, 02:30:03 pm »

More contaminants (dust) is certainly possible with copy paper.  It all depends on how anal you want to be.  Coated photo paper substrates (fine art matte and canvas notwithstanding) should have less dust.  I use a small powerful vacuum around my Epsons and on the paper roll ends; anal for sure, but you'd be surprised how much dust/debris is on the deck and paper feed area.  I use Kodak's Professional Lustre 10" rolls (now sold by Brand Management---pretty responsive company too).  Good for HHC and perfect for those inexpensive small prints.  I wish Breathing Color would offer a 10" roll in their Vibrance Lustre as that could potentially be a less expensive option yet with a thicker lustre paper weight, so better for double-duty for cheap small prints.

Overall, imho, I think monitoring/maintaining your humidity levels is more important with Epson printers...

ken
« Last Edit: June 23, 2013, 07:25:07 pm by kdphotography »

RachelleK

« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2013, 04:54:12 pm »

What about Red River Premium Matte PLUS?  Right now it is $29 for a 17x100' roll plus shipping.  Probably low contaminants and you might find another use for it too.

darlingm

• Westland Printworks
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2013, 11:01:31 pm »

Assuming you are using HHC so you don't care the least bit what the print looks like...

On eBay, you can get 24" x 150' 20lb HP Bond paper for $15.95 shipped, 36" x 150' $17.78, 30" x 150' $17.95, etc.

Get the 36", cut into ~ 9" wide with a chop or miter saw, since if you're using HHC you don't care about the edges being as clean cut as from the manufacturers, and you have (4) 9" x 150' rolls for $17.78, or $4.45 for each 9" x 150' roll.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2013, 08:50:42 pm by darlingm »
Mike • Westland Printworks
Fine Art Printing • Amazing Artwork Reproduction • Photography
http://www.westlandprintworks.com • (734) 255-9761

darlingm

• Westland Printworks
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2013, 11:03:05 pm »

Speaking of HHC, I've never used it.

Is it forced to define the page size as a minimum of 5" high like through the stock driver, or do they bypass that somehow?

Small thing, but irritates the heck out of me that Epson's driver won't let me print less than 5" high, when the machine clearly has no such restriction due to seeing it print nozzle test patterns.
Mike • Westland Printworks
Fine Art Printing • Amazing Artwork Reproduction • Photography
http://www.westlandprintworks.com • (734) 255-9761

JeffW

« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2013, 09:39:22 pm »

Thanks darlingm, I will order some and give it a go. Once I get the paper I will try and see what the shortest print length is.

Ken Doo

« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2013, 10:43:37 pm »

I would think that if you cut a roll of paper down to size, you will invariably introduce more dust/debris into the printer. 

HHC doesn't allow you to set paper sizes/length/margins.  It simply prints nozzle checks at times that you designate. 

hugowolf

« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2013, 08:40:25 pm »

I would think that if you cut a roll of paper down to size, you will invariably introduce more dust/debris into the printer.  
If you are using a chop saw, even with a very fine blade, then you need to vacuum the ends very well. And the curf, the bit that is removed with the blade, needs to be accounted for. You can’t get four 9” widths from a 36” roll.

I often do this with seamless background paper, but rarely with printing paper.

Brian A

sm906

• thomas hintze fotografie
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2013, 05:23:23 am »

I can recommend Tecco paper (PPM 210 and PM 230) which is pretty inexpensive (here in Germany). I use if for tests of i.e Moab
Entrada papers.

Thomas
nature-architecture-panorama-fineart
Web hintze-photo.com | YT youtube.com/c/rawakademie
Pages: [1]   Go Up