Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Touching Strangers  (Read 10149 times)

nemo295

Re: Touching Strangers
« Reply #20 on: June 24, 2013, 06:56:04 pm »

I never said otherwise. 
Your imperious attitude betrays your true beliefs.
I've not told anyone how to think.  Unlike you. 
Enlighten us all as to how and when anyone here has done that.
Grow up. 
You first.

RFPhotography

« Reply #21 on: June 24, 2013, 07:08:05 pm »

Your imperious attitude betrays your true beliefs.

Are you really so insecure that you can't deal with strongly held or voiced positions?  Your implications are a figment of your imagination.  And quite a wild imagination it appears to be. 

AFairley

« Reply #22 on: June 24, 2013, 07:13:30 pm »

This leads me to "About This Site" where John Camp posts a thread: This needs to be read.

Touching Strangers makes me feel that I don't want to go outside. Worse, it strikes me in the same way as an earlier recent link to the work of a lady making 'installations' consisting of a huge gang of uninteresting (and somewhat distressing) mostly naked humans gathered together in extreme embarrassment and striking modes of equally extreme pretentiousness.

To me, and I stress it's just my personal and totally biased opinion, it is a measure of the desperation of the so-called art movement within photography. In the case of the mass murder display of human carcasses, it's not even oiriginal in that some guy whose name I forget did more or less exactly the same thing, years ago, to great 'artistic' acclaim in cities all over the world: hundreds of nude people littering public spaces. Really? Wow! Must be Art!

I hate this sort of tripe.

HC-B, come back! There was nothing to forgive! Ansel, you too if I must!

Rob C

So what's so bad about "Touching Strangers" in concept?  Surely it's no lamer than Avedon's "In the American West" (conceptually speaking). 

nemo295

« Reply #23 on: June 24, 2013, 07:39:26 pm »

Are you really so insecure that you can't deal with strongly held or voiced positions?  Your implications are a figment of your imagination.  And quite a wild imagination it appears to be. 

I have no problem with strong opinions. Lord knows I have my own.

It's the self-styled pundits who try to pass themselves off as some kind supreme arbiter of culture with no credentials to back them up that I object to.

RFPhotography

« Reply #24 on: June 24, 2013, 09:24:13 pm »

I have no problem with strong opinions. Lord knows I have my own.

It's the self-styled pundits who try to pass themselves off as some kind supreme arbiter of culture with no credentials to back them up that I object to.

I guess you must be conflicted then, having to object to your own positions.

Rob C

« Reply #25 on: June 25, 2013, 03:59:56 am »

So what's so bad about "Touching Strangers" in concept?  Surely it's no lamer than Avedon's "In the American West" (conceptually speaking). 

What was so good about Avedon's concept, either? I thought it demeaning of, and almost mocking of the non-beautiful people of this world. (Not that the US west constitutes 'the world', despite what some snappers here formerly believed.)  Perhaps he had an Arbus envy - surprise! surprise! - and this was his effort to get it out of his system.

So two negative ideas do not a positive one make, proving yet again that algebra is an exercise in complex nonsense.

;-)

Rob C

AFairley

« Reply #26 on: June 25, 2013, 09:17:04 am »

What was so good about Avedon's concept, either?
Rob C

But...but...but...everyone fawned over it!   ;)

nemo295

« Reply #27 on: June 25, 2013, 10:43:03 am »

I guess you must be conflicted then, having to object to your own positions.

There's no conflict here. What we have in you is someone who took the opportunity to respond to a simple post congratulating an artist for success in funding their project by vomiting hate. You determined, in your infinite wisdom, that it wasn't enough to simply express your opinions. You felt it necessary to weigh in with insults, directed not only the artist, but at the people who funded him as well. Like I said, I have no problem with peoples' opinions, but I have a big problem with infantile egotists who think that issuing summary denunciations and sweeping generalizations from their high chair are something that deserves to be tolerated.

Rob C

« Reply #28 on: June 25, 2013, 01:03:39 pm »

Thank God we can all still laugh at ourselves and our little certainties.

Rob C
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up