Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Photoshop CC Slow  (Read 25566 times)

Schewe

• http:www.schewephoto.com
Re: Photoshop CC Slow
« Reply #20 on: June 27, 2013, 07:43:25 pm »

After installing PSCC trial my system showed I had only 6 gigs of ram...weird....my cursors stopped having the ability to change size and hardness by dragging the mouse as in CS6 and I couldn't type anymore....restarted my computer and those things were restored for a while and then later in the day they stopped working again so I became frustrated and uninstalled and went back to CS6 which is great and my system showed I have 8 gigs of ram again.

So, exactly how did you get 10.7.x (you haven't indicated the exact version you are running) onto your system? Was it a fresh install or an upgrade from 10.6.8? I've heard of some issues with older non-64bit MacIntel systems having certain issues with 10.7.x. The fact that after installing Photoshop CC your system is reporting less than the full installed ram is troubling...installing an app should not have any impact on what your system is reporting. I suspect you have some low level system issues that might be something to work on and troubleshoot...

AFairley

« Reply #21 on: June 27, 2013, 07:45:01 pm »

So, what was the use of Bernard posting: "Is CC in fact just a very expensive... and addictive... virus?"

Ummm.  Bernard did put a smiley after the comment, and I, for one thought it was pretty funny (but then my wife says I have a wierd sense of humor).  Are we having a bad day at the office or something?

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
« Reply #22 on: June 27, 2013, 07:49:53 pm »

A joke with an agenda is not simply a joke...you chose to bring the whole CC subscription/perpetual license controversy into a topic about Photoshop CC performance.

No Jeff, you are the one doing just that by reacting the way you are reacting.

Cheers,
Bernard

Wolfman

• www.bernardwolf.com
« Reply #23 on: June 27, 2013, 10:26:37 pm »

So, exactly how did you get 10.7.x (you haven't indicated the exact version you are running) onto your system? Was it a fresh install or an upgrade from 10.6.8? I've heard of some issues with older non-64bit MacIntel systems having certain issues with 10.7.x. The fact that after installing Photoshop CC your system is reporting less than the full installed ram is troubling...installing an app should not have any impact on what your system is reporting. I suspect you have some low level system issues that might be something to work on and troubleshoot...

It was a fresh install of 10.7.5 that I downloaded from the App. Store.

Schewe

« Reply #24 on: June 27, 2013, 11:59:53 pm »

It was a fresh install of 10.7.5 that I downloaded from the App. Store.

What sort of graphics card do you have? Do you have more than one card? Are they matched? Did you try checking your Preferences for Graphic Processor Settings in the Photoshop CC Performance preferences? The reason I ask is that that Photoshop CC has extended the use of GPU in a lot of areas...one are is in Image Size and in Smart Sharpen. As far as I know, the GPU is used to speed the results if the card supports it. In a 2006 MacPro, that card is ancient by comparison with more recent computers...It would be useful to compare the GPU settings between Photoshop CS6 (which is less reliant on GPU) to the settings in Photoshop CC.

I'm running Photoshop CS6 and CC on a 2009 MacPro with a pair of matched NVIDEA GeForce GT 120 cards (not very powerful by today's standards) and I'm running the GPU with set to "Normal" in both CC and CS6, I'm getting the same sort of speed between CC & CS6.

in fact, it would be useful to make sure ALL the prefs between CS6 and CC were set the same. 8 gigs of ram isn't a lot and you should think about increasing the ram. Also, where is the scratch disk set to in CS6 and CC? By default CC would be using your boot drive unless you changed it after the install.

But none of this would explain why your system was reporting less installed ram after you installed Photoshop CC–which should have no impact on the system's installed ram.

Jim Kasson

• The Last Word
« Reply #25 on: June 28, 2013, 12:14:50 am »

...Photoshop CC has extended the use of GPU in a lot of areas...one are is in Image Size and in Smart Sharpen. As far as I know, the GPU is used to speed the results if the card supports it.

I don't know if a similar situation exists on a Mac, but when I tried to run tests on a Win 7 machine from another using Remote Desktop, Photoshop said:

So, in order for the tests to be fair, they have to be run from a local console.

Wolfman

• www.bernardwolf.com
« Reply #26 on: June 28, 2013, 01:41:21 am »

What sort of graphics card do you have? Do you have more than one card? Are they matched? Did you try checking your Preferences for Graphic Processor Settings in the Photoshop CC Performance preferences? The reason I ask is that that Photoshop CC has extended the use of GPU in a lot of areas...one are is in Image Size and in Smart Sharpen. As far as I know, the GPU is used to speed the results if the card supports it. In a 2006 MacPro, that card is ancient by comparison with more recent computers...It would be useful to compare the GPU settings between Photoshop CS6 (which is less reliant on GPU) to the settings in Photoshop CC.

I'm running Photoshop CS6 and CC on a 2009 MacPro with a pair of matched NVIDEA GeForce GT 120 cards (not very powerful by today's standards) and I'm running the GPU with set to "Normal" in both CC and CS6, I'm getting the same sort of speed between CC & CS6.

in fact, it would be useful to make sure ALL the prefs between CS6 and CC were set the same. 8 gigs of ram isn't a lot and you should think about increasing the ram. Also, where is the scratch disk set to in CS6 and CC? By default CC would be using your boot drive unless you changed it after the install.

But none of this would explain why your system was reporting less installed ram after you installed Photoshop CC–which should have no impact on the system's installed ram.

The card is a NVIDIA GeForce 7300 GT 256 MB and I had the scratch set to my empty 60 gig SSD as I do in CS6. I know I should install more ram even sticking to CS6.

I'm actually anticipating the new Mac Pro if it isn't too expensive.

Ray McGuinness

« Reply #27 on: June 28, 2013, 06:25:35 pm »

Wolfman,

I have a Mac Pro similar to yours. Early 2008 Harpertown, Eight cores, 8mb ram, Radeon HD2600 Graphics card and a Accelsior SSD drive.

My timings using a raw file from a Nikon D7000(16mp).

CS6 Smart Sharpen about 2 seconds
PSCC Smart sharpen 15 seconds
PSCC doubling the size using Bicubic about 1-2 seconds
PSCC Smart sharpen took 60 seconds after doubling the size

It looks like Smart Sharpen is doing a lot more work and the time to process is proportional to the square of the size difference. There doesn't seem to be anything unusual with my RAM usage with CC vs CS. So there might be something fishy with your PSCC installation  and your MacPro. Did you use the system monitor to observe CPU usage during the Smart Sharpen processing? Also probe around in the Performance preferences.

Wolfman

• www.bernardwolf.com
« Reply #28 on: June 28, 2013, 07:35:59 pm »

I decided to reinstall PSCC and give it a 2nd try. This time around my system shows I do have 8 gigs of ram. I set everything in performance as Jeff suggested.

5D Mk2 raw:

CS6 Smart Sharpen native size: 11sec
PSCC Smart Sharpen native size 15sec

CS6 enlarge double size bicubic smoother 2.5sec
PSCC enlarge double size preserve details 32sec

CS6 Smart Sharpen double size 50sec
PSCC Smart Sharpen double size 60sec

Schewe

« Reply #29 on: June 28, 2013, 07:41:10 pm »

CS6 enlarge double size bicubic smoother 2.5sec
PSCC enlarge double size preserve details 32sec

Well, it doesn't surprise me that "preserve details" would take more time because it's more processor intensive...a more accurate apples/apples test would be Bicubic Smoother in both CS6 and CC...I also think that the that the amount of Reduct Noise setting in Preserve Detail would play a role...did you turn that on? If so, that would kick in a different algorithm which would I suspect, add to the processing time.

Wolfman

• www.bernardwolf.com
« Reply #30 on: June 28, 2013, 10:26:47 pm »

Well, it doesn't surprise me that "preserve details" would take more time because it's more processor intensive...a more accurate apples/apples test would be Bicubic Smoother in both CS6 and CC...I also think that the that the amount of Reduct Noise setting in Preserve Detail would play a role...did you turn that on? If so, that would kick in a different algorithm which would I suspect, add to the processing time.

Yes, I turn noise reduction down.

Using bicubic smoother in both and doubling the size of a 5D2 file it is about the same...2sec

GrahamB3

« Reply #31 on: July 27, 2013, 10:44:50 pm »

Is CC in fact just a very expensive... and addictive... virus?  ;D

Cheers,
Bernard

It's a pity there's not an ignore function here at LL. I agree with JS, you add nothing to the discussion but a continuation of your petulant jibes.

Everyone gets it. You don't like Adobe. There's noting remotely funny bringing it up in every thread.

If you're not happy with Adobe's policies, write letters to the CEO. Picket the annual stockholders meeting. For pity's sake, give it a rest on users forum. We have no say in Adobe policy, and we shouldn't have to suffer your barbs and ill will with every thread.

Graham

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
« Reply #32 on: July 27, 2013, 11:29:45 pm »

It's a pity there's not an ignore function here at LL. I agree with JS, you add nothing to the discussion but a continuation of your petulant jibes.

Everyone gets it. You don't like Adobe. There's noting remotely funny bringing it up in every thread.

If you're not happy with Adobe's policies, write letters to the CEO. Picket the annual stockholders meeting. For pity's sake, give it a rest on users forum. We have no say in Adobe policy, and we shouldn't have to suffer your barbs and ill will with every thread.

Hello Graham,

There is in fact an ignore function built in most LL readers which consists in moving to the next post.

There is also a "highlight this post an give it most visibility by quoting it one month later" function that you have just used. ;)

By the way, congratulation on your selection as a representative of "everybody"!

And for the record, I do not "not like Adobe". I have spent more money on their products than I have with any other photographic equipment provider but Nikon.

Cheers,
Bernard

StephaneB

• http://www.lumieredargent.com
« Reply #33 on: July 30, 2013, 10:45:11 am »

For what it's worth, I have a significant performance gain after upgrading to CC. I use PhotoShop from LR to use the Nik plugins as smart filters. In CS6, saving the file took about 30 seconds. With CC, that is down to a few seconds. I am on Windows.

Stéphane  [url=http://www.lumieredargen

Manoli

« Reply #34 on: July 30, 2013, 11:59:42 am »

For what it's worth, I have a significant performance gain after upgrading to CC.... In CS6, saving the file took about 30 seconds. With CC, that is down to a few seconds. I am on Windows.

Out of interest how big is the file ?

StephaneB

• http://www.lumieredargent.com
« Reply #35 on: July 30, 2013, 12:20:27 pm »

I am not at home, but I am talking about D800 files, with the RAW as a smart object.

Stéphane  [url=http://www.lumieredargen

JhnMhn

« Reply #36 on: August 11, 2013, 08:36:01 pm »

Levity...you should try some sometime.

Totally agree. Maybe Jeff, Doode of doodes, himself King of acerbic hyperbole, just can't tolerate anyone dissing his meal ticket. Really, contributions similar to Bernard's are common on most threads without such emotionally charged, bully responses.

Schewe

« Reply #37 on: August 11, 2013, 10:05:48 pm »

Totally agree. Maybe Jeff, Doode of doodes, himself King of acerbic hyperbole, just can't tolerate anyone dissing his meal ticket. Really, contributions similar to Bernard's are common on most threads without such emotionally charged, bully responses.

And your post adds to the thread how?

Got anything useful about Photoshop CC performance?

JhnMhn

« Reply #38 on: August 11, 2013, 11:39:03 pm »

Bout as much as your over-the-top original response to Bernard, ie: not much that's genuinely useful  ;)

Tim Lookingbill

« Reply #39 on: August 12, 2013, 12:36:51 am »

Bout as much as your over-the-top original response to Bernard, ie: not much that's genuinely useful  ;)

Where you been all these years Luminous Landscape's been around, JhnMhn, and why are you posting just to this topic now?

10 posts in as a newbie here and you act like you own the place. Learn some manners because you really aren't starting off on a good foot nor are your points on good footing.

Do you actually see your internet personna you've now established here as a reliable source of information to be taken seriously? I don't. You act as if you're a legend in your own mind to quote a line from a Dirty Harry movie.

Use your own name for Christ sake so you can stand behind what you say, you coward.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2013, 12:38:42 am by Tim Lookingbill »
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up