Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Photoshop CC Slow  (Read 25558 times)

Wolfman

• www.bernardwolf.com
Photoshop CC Slow
« on: June 22, 2013, 09:17:30 pm »

I currently use PSCS6 and decided to download the trial version of PSCC because I wanted to try the new upsizing and improved sharpening. My main drive is solid state so my PSCS6 is pretty quick. In trying the upsizing and sharpening in PSCC I discovered that they are so slow that it's almost a deal breaker...especially smart sharpen. I upsized an image from my 5D Mkll straight out of camera raw to double it's size with the new choice of bicubic smoother preserve details and that too 1.5 minutes which is tolerable but I the applied the new smart sharpen and that took about 4 minutes. Smart sharpen in CS6 is pretty quick but this is snail pace.

Anybody have this problem? I'm on a mac pro desktop with Lion and 8 gigs of memory and ssd main drive.

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
    • http://www.markdsegal.com
Re: Photoshop CC Slow
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2013, 11:11:14 pm »

I recommend you do some diagnostics. Download and install Photokit Sharpener 2 and see whether the sharpening is faster. It's the most capable sharpener on the market in any event. If it works much faster, then you know the problem is Photoshop and not your computer. A solid-state drive is most likely not the determinative factor in performance efficiency for such functions. Much more likely it depends on how much RAM you have, and whether the processing needs to reach into your scratch disk. You didn't mention how much RAM you have and whether you have your scratch on a bespoke disk - i.e. other than the system drive.
Mark D Segal (formerly MarkDS)
Author: "Scanning Workflows with SilverFast 8....."

Jim Kasson

• The Last Word
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2013, 11:57:25 pm »

I upsized an image from my 5D Mkll straight out of camera raw to double [its] size with the new choice of bicubic smoother preserve details and that took 1.5 minutes which is tolerable but I the applied the new smart sharpen and that took about 4 minutes. Smart sharpen in CS6 is pretty quick but this is snail pace.

Sony RX1 image, slightly larger than your image. Dell T7500, Win 7 x64, Ps CC x64, 48GB, one processor, 6 cores, 3.33 GHz, AMD FirePro V4800: bicubic smoother preserve details: 14 seconds. Smart sharpen with defaults: 12 seconds.

Dell T7600,  Win 7 x64, Ps CC x64, 192GB, two processors, 12 cores, 2.9 GHz, AMD FirePro V4900: bicubic smoother preserve details: 17 seconds. Smart sharpen with defaults: 9 seconds.

Jim
« Last Edit: June 23, 2013, 12:07:26 am by Jim Kasson »

Wolfman

• www.bernardwolf.com
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2013, 02:39:06 am »

I recommend you do some diagnostics. Download and install Photokit Sharpener 2 and see whether the sharpening is faster. It's the most capable sharpener on the market in any event. If it works much faster, then you know the problem is Photoshop and not your computer. A solid-state drive is most likely not the determinative factor in performance efficiency for such functions. Much more likely it depends on how much RAM you have, and whether the processing needs to reach into your scratch disk. You didn't mention how much RAM you have and whether you have your scratch on a bespoke disk - i.e. other than the system drive.

I have PK sharpener but not installed in PSCC yet. I have a separate, empty SSD 60 GB scratch disk. I checked how much ram I have and it says 6GB but I had 8Gb when I was running Snow Leopard and now I'm on Lion and my system says 6GB...that is strange...have to do some investigating.

Wolfman

• www.bernardwolf.com
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2013, 03:03:49 am »

I installed PK Sharpener in PSCC and it is very quick...no problem there.

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
    • http://www.markdsegal.com
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2013, 03:07:17 am »

I installed PK Sharpener in PSCC and it is very quick...no problem there.

Were it not for the contribution above from Jim Kasson, I would be inclined to think it is a Photoshop problem, but now looks less determinate. Plausibly a combination of Photoshop resource requirements and the amount of RAM on your computer, but I would be hard-put to say with any confidence.
Mark D Segal (formerly MarkDS)
Author: "Scanning Workflows with SilverFast 8....."

Alan Gilbertson

« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2013, 03:55:24 pm »

I upsized an image from my 5D Mkll straight out of camera raw to double it's size with the new choice of bicubic smoother preserve details and that too 1.5 minutes which is tolerable but I the applied the new smart sharpen and that took about 4 minutes. Smart sharpen in CS6 is pretty quick but this is snail pace.

5D MkIII image.

Win 8 laptop, 24GB RAM, NVidia 660m, SSD scratch drive, 2.4GHz i7 (actually runs at about 3.2 GHz in normal use):
Upsize 15 sec, Smart Sharpen @ defaults 31 sec.
CS6 on same machine, running the same operations (the old algorithms, obviously), upsize 1 sec., Smart Sharpen 11 sec.

Win 7 x64 desktop, 8GB RAM, NVidia 500 Ti, non-SSD scratch drive (Ps runs from an SSD), 3.0 GHz i7:
Upsize 20 sec., Smart Sharpen @ defaults 38 sec.
CS6 upsize <1 sec., Smart Sharpen 14 sec.

I also compared the old "Bicubic Smoother" algorithm, and it runs in the same time in CC as in CS6. So, yes, the new algorithms are considerably more compute-intensive than the old ones. All cores are running close to maximum on the CC operations, which they aren't in CS6, so number of cores definitely makes a difference, as Jim's results indicate.

Wolfman

• www.bernardwolf.com
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2013, 12:10:35 am »

Thanks for the feedback with your experiences....I have uninstalled it because it just seemed to be causing strange behavior. I have a Mac Pro Version 1.1 2006 and I have OS Lion and 8 gigs of ram. After installing PSCC trial my system showed I had only 6 gigs of ram...weird....my cursors stopped having the ability to change size and hardness by dragging the mouse as in CS6 and I couldn't type anymore....restarted my computer and those things were restored for a while and then later in the day they stopped working again so I became frustrated and uninstalled and went back to CS6 which is great and my system showed I have 8 gigs of ram again. I could investigate more but I'm happy with CS6 and don't think PSCC is worth the change.

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2013, 01:46:04 am »

Thanks for the feedback with your experiences....I have uninstalled it because it just seemed to be causing strange behavior. I have a Mac Pro Version 1.1 2006 and I have OS Lion and 8 gigs of ram. After installing PSCC trial my system showed I had only 6 gigs of ram...weird....my cursors stopped having the ability to change size and hardness by dragging the mouse as in CS6 and I couldn't type anymore....restarted my computer and those things were restored for a while and then later in the day they stopped working again so I became frustrated and uninstalled and went back to CS6 which is great and my system showed I have 8 gigs of ram again. I could investigate more but I'm happy with CS6 and don't think PSCC is worth the change.

Is CC in fact just a very expensive... and addictive... virus?  ;D

Cheers,
Bernard

Schewe

• http:www.schewephoto.com
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2013, 02:06:36 am »

Is CC in fact just a very expensive... and addictive... virus?  ;D

Really, is that what you think or are you engaging in hyperbole? Photoshop CC is working as fast (if not faster) on my system as CS6. And...that's not hyperbole, that's just the facts.

Ya know bud, I get it, you're pissed...but at what point does your anger become irrational? I think it already has...take a chill pill doode, you're gonna pop a blood vessel...do you have anything to add to the OP's question? Got any useful troubleshooting advice? Got anything at all useful to add? If not, I think you know what you can do with yourself...

BernardLanguillier

« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2013, 06:00:46 am »

Really, is that what you think or are you engaging in hyperbole? Photoshop CC is working as fast (if not faster) on my system as CS6. And...that's not hyperbole, that's just the facts.

Ya know bud, I get it, you're pissed...but at what point does your anger become irrational? I think it already has...take a chill pill doode, you're gonna pop a blood vessel...do you have anything to add to the OP's question? Got any useful troubleshooting advice? Got anything at all useful to add? If not, I think you know what you can do with yourself...

Jeff,

I am the one needing to chill?  :D

Cheers,
Bernard

framah

« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2013, 04:37:16 pm »

Jeeez, Jeff.. relax, take a deep breath and close your eyes and try to remember lounging on the beach in Hawaii. Ahhhhh. Don't you feel better now?

Seriously, you really didn't have to bite his head off.
"It took a  lifetime of suffering and personal sacrifice to develop my keen aesthetic sense."

Schewe

« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2013, 04:58:20 pm »

Seriously, you really didn't have to bite his head off.

So, what was the use of Bernard posting: "Is CC in fact just a very expensive... and addictive... virus?"

Did it advance the topic of this thread in the least or is Bernard simply injecting his hatred of Adobe in yet another thread? Is he going to keep spreading his hate in every Photoshop topic for the rest of time? To what goal? What was the point of that comment Bernard?

Craig Lamson

• Craig Lamson Photo Homepage
« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2013, 06:00:36 pm »

So, what was the use of Bernard posting: "Is CC in fact just a very expensive... and addictive... virus?"

Did it advance the topic of this thread in the least or is Bernard simply injecting his hatred of Adobe in yet another thread? Is he going to keep spreading his hate in every Photoshop topic for the rest of time? To what goal? What was the point of that comment Bernard?

Levity...you should try some sometime.
Craig Lamson Photo

kaelaria

• http://www.bgpictures.com
« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2013, 06:11:45 pm »

Oh, well, that's just because you also need to buy the Apple Mac CC subscription, giving you the latest new MacPro for just $450/mos with a 1 year commitment :)  Can't have Adobe CC without it!

BernardLanguillier

« Reply #15 on: June 27, 2013, 06:11:59 pm »

Jeff,

I have a lot of respect for you as a photographer and educator, but as long as...
- this isn't Adobe's customer support's forum,
- your lack of sense of humor isn't set as the standart of communication in this forum

...I have zero intention to let you shut me up.

Hatred is your word and it doesn't match my feelings nor the way I have expressed them.

I am not sure to understand your reaction btw. You wrote in this very forum that you didn't care and were planning to stop involving yourself in these discussions. It seemed like a reasonnable thing to do since you apparently find it hard to keep your cools.

Cheers,
Bernard

Schewe

« Reply #16 on: June 27, 2013, 06:25:13 pm »

I am not sure to understand your reaction btw. You wrote in this very forum that you didn't care and were planning to stop involving yourself in these discussions. It seemed like a reasonnable thing to do since you apparently find it hard to keep your cools.

That was for the other threads relating to CC subscription vs perpetual licenses and I have stopped being involved...this thread is supposed to be about Photoshop CC performance...and since I'm pretty sure you don't have Photoshop CC, I found your post useless hyperbole.

Do you have anything to contribute relating to Photoshop CC performance? If so, post away...but if your agenda is to keep spreading discontent through all topics relating to Adobe, then I think you need to reconsider your approach.

BernardLanguillier

« Reply #17 on: June 27, 2013, 06:57:08 pm »

...and since I'm pretty sure you don't have Photoshop CC, I found your post useless hyperbole.

My post was nothing but a joke Jeff, I am not sure how you could fail to recognize that.

Cheers,
Bernard

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
    • http://myrvaagnes.com
« Reply #18 on: June 27, 2013, 07:15:40 pm »

My post was nothing but a joke Jeff, I am not sure how you could fail to recognize that.

Cheers,
Bernard

Maybe someone should write an explanatory book, perhaps called "The Digital Smiley."    ;D  ::)  :D

Cheers and smiles,

Eric M.

P.S. The useful content of this message = 0, although it does not knowingly contain nudity. It may, however, not be suitable for reading in some workplaces.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2013, 07:18:30 pm by Eric Myrvaagnes »
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

Schewe

« Reply #19 on: June 27, 2013, 07:37:01 pm »

A joke with an agenda is not simply a joke...you chose to bring the whole CC subscription/perpetual license controversy into a topic about Photoshop CC performance. Sorry if I fail to see any humor in that...perhaps you might consider choosing your jokes a bit more wisely?
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up