Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Room lighting for photo editing  (Read 36296 times)

David Eichler

• San Francisco Architectural and Interior Photographer
Re: Room lighting for photo editing
« Reply #20 on: June 29, 2013, 06:24:57 pm »

I missed David's entry.

I bought the Eiko bulb and they pretty much render closely to the Philips/GE combo except a bit more balanced overall. (See the yellow Skittles bag under artificial daylight comparison test below.)

However, Eiko's electronics seem to be subpar in my experience as it was with the Eiko brand Solux task lamp I bought directly off Solux site that came with the Solux 4700K bulb already installed. The task lamp's  power converter block that plugs into the wall failed after 40 hours of use spread out within 2-3 years and the Eiko CFL bulb quit just about the same amount of usage as well.

Considering the odds that I've never bought or ever heard of Eiko brand products in my entire life prior to my purchases and having two of their separate types of circuitry electronics fail is something to consider before you purchase.

Tim, I have only used one of these bulbs so far, for far more than 40 hour, and no problems. Regardless of how accurate the specs are, based upon the comments in this forum, it seems as though the specs do not need to be that precise for good real-world results. It would seem to be enough that the bulb has a relatively high CRI and falls within a certain range of "real-world" color temperatures. The Eiko bulb seems very neutral to me, perhaps even a bit bland, which perhaps is a good thing, at least for illuminating the editing area. For evaluating prints, perhaps another matter? By the way, been using the bulb in a medium sized softbox.

Tim Lookingbill

Re: Room lighting for photo editing
« Reply #21 on: June 29, 2013, 06:47:50 pm »

For evaluating prints, perhaps another matter?

If it's inkjet prints I've not seen hardly one color error with all the lights I've posted photos on and talked about. The Eiko is just as good. It's good to hear you haven't had electronic failure with them. Big suckers aren't they for a CFL, right? ;D

I only post the photos of how real objects are affected by fluorescent light's spiky spectra just to let folks know what that looks like. SPD graphs don't really convey this for practical purposes.

Something about inkjet ink rendering on paper doesn't seem to reflect the affects of their spikes as much. Maybe a photo of a yellow sports car might make it more apparent.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up