Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Is Photoshop CC worth upgrading to  (Read 12427 times)

Bart_van_der_Wolf

Re: Is Photoshop CC worth upgrading to
« Reply #20 on: August 03, 2013, 07:43:24 pm »

I subscribed to the CC. The updates in Photoshop CC from CS6 are incremental thus far but useful. I dig the new Upright feature in both LR5 and ACR. The Radial Filter is another good feature as is the one-click feature to detect sensor spots.

Hi Rajan,

The question then becomes, is  that worth the amount you have to pay annually (!), after(!) the introductory discount?

When you stop paying, those features will be gone! (assuming you have CS6, otherwise more will be gone).

Cheers,
Bart
== If you do what you did, you'll get what you got. ==

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #21 on: August 03, 2013, 08:16:44 pm »

The fact is that Photoshop is a mature product, meaning that major improvements will be few and far between.  That is what makes the subscription model so onerous.

Hi Rob,

Indeed.

You are essentially paying rent for something you used to own and would possibly update infrequently, if ever.  It's obvious why this new business model is attractive to Adobe, but for the rest of us--not so much.

And what's perhaps even more important, apparently that's why Adobe switched their periodical perpetual license upgrade to a, monthly purchase or stop using, payment model. That, to me, indicates that even Adobe doesn't expect the upgrades to offer, on balance, more than cost for most users ...

C'mon, camera shake reduction (already offered by several lower cost alternatives) doesn't even come close to compensate for my/your investment in tripods, over the years, does it?

Reality check is in order, folks, really.

Cheers,
Bart
« Last Edit: August 03, 2013, 08:20:47 pm by BartvanderWolf »

chez

« Reply #22 on: August 03, 2013, 10:18:46 pm »

Hi Rob,

Indeed.

And what's perhaps even more important, apparently that's why Adobe switched their periodical perpetual license upgrade to a, monthly purchase or stop using, payment model. That, to me, indicates that even Adobe doesn't expect the upgrades to offer, on balance, more than cost for most users ...

C'mon, camera shake reduction (already offered by several lower cost alternatives) doesn't even come close to compensate for my/your investment in tripods, over the years, does it?

Reality check is in order, folks, really.

Cheers,
Bart

Bart, its obvious CC is not for you, we get it. Time to move onto those 3rd party products that do things better than Adobe. By the way, why did you use PS if there were 3rd party products better than PS?

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #23 on: August 04, 2013, 06:21:28 am »

Bart, its obvious CC is not for you, we get it. Time to move onto those 3rd party products that do things better than Adobe.

Hi,

What makes you think I do not already use '3rd party' products when they do a better job? I try to use the best tool for the task at hand, 'best' being more efficient and/or delivering higher quality.

By the way, why did you use PS if there were 3rd party products better than PS?

Huh? I already have Photoshop CS6 (which I can no longer upgrade with a perpetual licence), for those tasks it does 'better', and use or program other applications when they are 'better'. Since it looks like Adobe is anticipating fewer upgrades that would justify a full upgrade product, they switched to an incremental update program (but that's not the only reason).

When the updates become less interesting for professional users, alternative product offerings become more appealing. That's why Adobe tries to lock you in, by denying you full access to your Work-in-Progress files when you stop paying.

It doesn't require rocket science to figure that out ...

Cheers,
Bart

Rajan Parrikar

• Rajan Parrikar
« Reply #24 on: August 04, 2013, 07:38:59 am »

Hi Rajan,

The question then becomes, is  that worth the amount you have to pay annually (!), after(!) the introductory discount?

When you stop paying, those features will be gone! (assuming you have CS6, otherwise more will be gone).

Cheers,
Bart

Bart,

Let's wait and see what (if any) formula Adobe comes up with as a result of the brouhaha that followed its change in policy. I have CS6 as the fallback option.

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up