Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: Who is Sony Targeting (or Trying to Kid)?  (Read 30837 times)

Guillermo Luijk

• http://www.guillermoluijk.com
Re: Who is Sony Targeting (or Trying to Kid)?
« Reply #40 on: June 23, 2013, 08:12:26 am »

That is a specious argument that misses the point.

What is a specious argument?. Anyway, I just meant that the absence of VF can be compensated and improved with the stabiliser in this camera, that's all.

RFPhotography

« Reply #41 on: June 23, 2013, 08:20:58 am »

Which have you tried?

I have always been able to see enough to record the data I want.  On cameras that have LCDs that do not fully articulate, I use the FlipBac (http://flipbac.com). Neither elegant nor slick, but a useful tool that makes my tools more useful.  Will likely require an hour or more of use to develop the coordination to use effectively.

Some cameras in the near future will have either removable LCDs, or will communicate with other personal electronic devices (smart phones), allowing the user to see the sensor image and operate the camera from a distance.

The future is now.  There are numerous apps that will allow controlling many cameras via a wired connection and a couple that allow for wifi connections.  Moreso in the Android space than Apple because Apple doesn't allow the iPhone to act as a USB host and severely limits USB host functionality on the iPad.

Rob C

« Reply #42 on: June 23, 2013, 09:23:31 am »

Bob has elegantly illustrated what's amiss with modern cameras. That piccy says it all.

Rob C

allegretto

« Reply #43 on: June 23, 2013, 09:55:44 am »

and, subject material too...

Jim Kasson

• The Last Word
« Reply #44 on: June 23, 2013, 10:38:44 am »

...squatting down to shoot low isn't that easy or comfortable anymore; it would be nice to have a reflex screen available - oh, wait - isn't that 500 Series territory again? Ironically, the more uncomfortable getting low is, the more I find motifs that include low, OOF foreground elements... so they go unshot, with cellphone or camera. No, I don't think a flipping screen would help much: can't see anything much on electronic screens in the sunshine.

Rob C

The RX-1 EVF flips up so that you can look straight down on it, kind of like a Hasselblad SLR or Rolleiflex TLR with the waist-level finder and the magnifier flipped up. That solves the not-being-able-to-see-the-screen-in-the-sunshine problem, but you'll still have to bend more than with a waist-level finder used at arm's length.

Jim

BJL

« Reply #45 on: June 23, 2013, 11:09:39 am »

this POV would be perfectly reasonable if I had only one camera.
You previous claim was for a "liberating" _advantage_ to not being able to change the lens on a camera.

My reply is that there is no advantage (one can get the benefits you claimed by buying and carrying a camera with a single lens, whether or not that camera allows the possibility of changing the lens.)

The option you now mention of owning other cameras does nothing to support your previous claim of an _advantage_ to the non-changeable lens option; at most it mitigates the disadvantages.

P. S. I agree that for now, the RX-1 offers a combination not reproducible in any "system camera", so there is a legitimate market niche for it. I also expect that niche to shrink or vanish if and when camera makers like Sony offer new mirror-less systems with 36x24mm sensors and changeable AF lenses designed for that system. (Bodies that rely on manual focus rangefinder lenses or SLR lenses do not count.)

RFPhotography

« Reply #46 on: June 23, 2013, 11:12:24 am »

and, subject material too...

You have zero idea what the subject matter was.

Rob, yeah, but one person's problem is another's solution.

Jim Kasson

• The Last Word
« Reply #47 on: June 23, 2013, 11:21:55 am »

The one I am waiting to see is the Nex-9, which is reported to be full frame also, (I assume it will have the same sensor as the Rx1). 

One of the great virtues of the RX-1 is the quiet shutter. Small digital cameras with interchangeable lenses usually (universally?) have focal plane shutters. The alternative is to put a shutter in every lens, a la Hasselblad 500. Focal plane shutters are pretty noisy, at least compared to leaf shutters. The NEX-7 is moderately noisy, and the shutter mechanism is smaller than it would be on a FF camera.

There is electronic shutter technology on the horizon that could make the noise/lens interchangability tradeoff go away, though.

Jim

maxgruzen

• http://www.pbase.com/mordicai
« Reply #48 on: June 23, 2013, 11:46:16 am »

It's a reasonable question, Bob.  Let me turn it back to you.  What do you think is the cost of a (i) body with full-frame sensor, and (ii) a Zeiss 35 f/2 lens?  The lens is no slacker, apparently testing among the best in its class.  I think it might be hard to make and sell this for less than $2k.  

The question is whether this is a reasonable price for the capability?  I think most of us are more interested in a FF NEX, or a FF X Pro, that allows us a choice of lenses on a FF camera in a small package.  I'd like to see this anyway.
I don't know. The lens on my DP2 is probably as good a lens as I've ever owned. I have owned a hell of a lot of high dollar glass. DP2 $799.00

theguywitha645d

« Reply #49 on: June 23, 2013, 12:26:35 pm »

You previous claim was for a "liberating" _advantage_ to not being able to change the lens on a camera.

My reply is that there is no advantage (one can get the benefits you claimed by buying and carrying a camera with a single lens, whether or not that camera allows the possibility of changing the lens.)

The option you now mention of owning other cameras does nothing to support your previous claim of an _advantage_ to the non-changeable lens option; at most it mitigates the disadvantages.

P. S. I agree that for now, the RX-1 offers a combination not reproducible in any "system camera", so there is a legitimate market niche for it. I also expect that niche to shrink or vanish if and when camera makers like Sony offer new mirror-less systems with 36x24mm sensors and changeable AF lenses designed for that system. (Bodies that rely on manual focus rangefinder lenses or SLR lenses do not count.)

And if I never change the lens, then there is no advantage to an interchangeable lens camera. Looks like a lose-lose option.

theguywitha645d

« Reply #51 on: June 23, 2013, 12:33:33 pm »

So I'm not allowed to ask a question and state my opinion at the same time?  What a pantload.

Sure, if you want to troll, go right ahead. I get to comment on it as well. We don't have you put up with your rubbish either.

RFPhotography

« Reply #52 on: June 23, 2013, 01:36:04 pm »

Sure, if you want to troll, go right ahead. I get to comment on it as well. We don't have you put up with your rubbish either.

Stuff the name-calling.  This was a reasonably productive discussion till you came along.

theguywitha645d

« Reply #53 on: June 23, 2013, 01:57:42 pm »

Stuff the name-calling.  This was a reasonably productive discussion till you came along.

Bob, you are a hoot. You set the tone, but don't like it when others call you out on it.

Telecaster

« Reply #54 on: June 23, 2013, 02:54:02 pm »

As to the benefits of deliberate limitation...I mentioned my own reason earlier on for desiring this. But to restate: by nature I'm easily distractable. When presented with multiple options, my initial impulse is to choose all of them simultaneously.   :D  My ideal state-of-being would be one of fully aware quantum superposition.

Pic-taking with a fixed-lens camera is simply a way of reducing distraction. It doesn't mean I'm in any danger of becoming a drooling cultist.   :o  But what works for me might not work for someone else. That's okay.

-Dave-

allegretto

« Reply #55 on: June 23, 2013, 03:01:28 pm »

As to the benefits of deliberate limitation...I mentioned my own reason earlier on for desiring this. But to restate: by nature I'm easily distractable. When presented with multiple options, my initial impulse is to choose all of them simultaneously.   :D  My ideal state-of-being would be one of fully aware quantum superposition.

Pic-taking with a fixed-lens camera is simply a way of reducing distraction. It doesn't mean I'm in any danger of becoming a drooling cultist.   :o  But what works for me might not work for someone else. That's okay.

-Dave-

+1

And Bob... I am sure..

RFPhotography

« Reply #56 on: June 23, 2013, 04:04:16 pm »

Bob, you are a hoot. You set the tone, but don't like it when others call you out on it.

Sod off.  You're the one reading into what isn't there.  One more response like the last two and I won't just lock this thread, I'll delete it entirely.

Isaac

« Reply #57 on: June 23, 2013, 04:32:43 pm »

Lord, have mercy!

Telecaster

« Reply #58 on: June 23, 2013, 04:46:50 pm »

Hey, as long as we're (well, some of us are) moving into the subject of deliberate limitation...who among us has actually taken photos over an extended period of time with just one lens on one camera? How was the experience?

I did this in the Middle East in 1983-85 with a Canon AE-1 & 50mm lens. Not exactly by choice...I was young and ca$h was tight, but I also wanted to travel light. Worked out quite well. I'd never actually used a 50mm lens previously...grew up with a 35/90mm pair on a Leica M2. Then in late 1994 I spent ten days in Grand Canyon National Park. My 70-200mm zoom jammed up on day one and I was forced to fall back on a 90mm macro as my sole lens. This worked out great...I sync'd up with the lens right off and never missed the zoom. In fact I'm sure I saw better due to the lack of zooming capability/distraction. I ended up sticking with the 90 for months afterward too. I've done the same sort of thing a few times since then by choice, but it doesn't work as well for me when I know I have other lens options available.

I've included two photos, the first taken by my Nederlander friend Kees deGroot in February 1984 (of me, using the AE-1/50mm combo, on Kodachrome 25) and the second (a selfie!) at the Grand Canyon with the 90mm (on Provia 100). Any intimation of self-absorption is quite unintentional.   ;)

-Dave-

allegretto

« Reply #59 on: June 23, 2013, 08:11:25 pm »

I never underpack. Just like I never arrive late. Just not me. So taking the Sony and leaving a DSLR body and 2-3 lenses at home sure as heck liberates my shoulders...!
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Up