Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Call me STUPID - I tried CC  (Read 4443 times)

nemophoto

• Nemo Niemann Photography
Call me STUPID - I tried CC
« on: June 20, 2013, 09:53:18 pm »

Yup. Based on the past 24-hours, dumb move. CC is truly not ready for prime time.

First my reasoning behind trying the wretched software. My wife is a graphic designer on Mac. I'm a photog on PC. Between us, we use Photoshop, Acrobat, Illustrator, InDesign, and I use Muse and Dreamweaver. My wife is on CS5 versions for everything except InDesign, whereas I'm an CS6 for Photoshop, and CS5 and CS4 for everything else. (My wife even still uses Acrobat 8 while I'm at least on 10.) Since the only program I really use on both my desktop and laptop is Photoshop, I could deal with the activate/deactivate cycle. I figured it was cheaper to go ahead and do Adobe CC and share between the two of us than to have individual updates on everything to the CS6 level. So.... I signed up.

What crap. First of all, everything is a download install. I can't just download an installer file once and then run it on both my laptop and desktop (of course Macs are different). Also, there is ZERO control over where you install -- unlike disk based software. I use an SSD for my system drive and have a separate 1GB hard drive for my program and storage (as well as tons of externals for various things). There is no option to customize. I have different partitions for different types of software: D drive is generally things like InDesign and Illustrator, E: drive is for Photoshop, Lightroom, etc., and F: drive is for my web stuff. Works for me. But Adobe wants to cram all it's stuff under Windows Programs stating it works better. No it doesn't. Make no difference. I had to drag the Photoshop CC folder to the E: drive and then monkey with the Registry to make sure it all worked correctly.

I called tech support to discuss the issue with them as well as error messages I was getting (Runtime errors starting). Absolutely clueless. This is what you get when you offshore tech support to people who aren't really all that familiar with computers and software (beyond the "script" they've been provided). You pay gobs of money for zero support. By the way, I was lead to believe by Adobe sales support that I could do all the things I wanted to do -- not having to do multiple downloads, custom install, etc. Lying dogs.

Adobe has big problems. Not only have they pissed off a huge pro base with this cloud crap, but they've poorly implemented their so-called cloud service.

ButchM

Re: Call me STUPID - I tried CC
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2013, 10:06:41 pm »

You can cancel your subscription within the first 30 days and get a full refund of your fee. So, although you wasted some time testing the waters ... you are not without recourse if you don't wish to continue with the subscription.

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
    • http://www.markdsegal.com
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2013, 10:25:44 pm »

You can cancel your subscription within the first 30 days and get a full refund of your fee. So, although you wasted some time testing the waters ... you are not without recourse if you don't wish to continue with the subscription.

That's true but it doesn't change the possibility that Adobe's CC solution may not be suitable for certain computing environments, and raises a related question about the range of environments within which it should be.
Mark D Segal (formerly MarkDS)
Author: "Scanning Workflows with SilverFast 8....."

MarkM

• Alaska Photographer Mark Meyer
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2013, 10:55:19 pm »

>> Also, there is ZERO control over where you install

Did you try the preference setting called "Install Location"?

Schewe

• http:www.schewephoto.com
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2013, 11:18:16 pm »

My wife is a graphic designer on Mac. I'm a photog on PC.

Since you are on two different platforms, what did you expect regarding downloading the software? That you could download the Mac installer and install that on PC?

I think your expectations are unreasonable...the fact that you CAN download and install Mac and PC versions is a benefit...even if you don't understand the rational for downloading both platform software versions separately.

Vladimirovich

« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2013, 12:06:59 am »

First of all, everything is a download install. I can't just download an installer file once and then run it on both my laptop and desktop (of course Macs are different).

not true - you can download to your HDD w/o CC from Adobe's file servers and run installator from your HDD.

URLs are public knowledge and even referenced by Adobe's own people in Adobe's own U2U forums

http://prodesigntools.com/adobe-cc-direct-download-links.html

nemophoto

« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2013, 01:33:13 pm »

>> Also, there is ZERO control over where you install

Did you try the preference setting called "Install Location"?

Yeah, I caught that later. I thought, stupidly, that it would download the install file to my hard drive, then I'd install it myself.

nemophoto

« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2013, 03:56:06 pm »

Since you are on two different platforms, what did you expect regarding downloading the software? That you could download the Mac installer and install that on PC?

I think your expectations are unreasonable...the fact that you CAN download and install Mac and PC versions is a benefit...even if you don't understand the rational for downloading both platform software versions separately.

Jeff, if you notice, I DID say that, of course, Macs are different (i.e. - a DMG file versus an EXE). I've been using PC's since 1983 and am well versed in the two platforms. I agree with the initial benefit of both Mac & PC downloads and not have two separate licenses. That was exactly my thinking. It's simply that Adobe has implemented the whole thing poorly, and tech support (compared to a number of years ago) is basically worthless. I went through three tech support people to get the answer that I had zero control over installation after download - that it downloads and installs immediately and no ability to not have to download multiple times. Not so hard a question to answer, but they couldn't.

nemophoto

« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2013, 04:01:25 pm »

not true - you can download to your HDD w/o CC from Adobe's file servers and run installator from your HDD.

URLs are public knowledge and even referenced by Adobe's own people in Adobe's own U2U forums

No really true. Still asks you for a CC App handler to install and oversee it.

LKaven

« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2013, 05:10:50 pm »

This is what you get when you offshore tech support to people who aren't really all that familiar with computers and software (beyond the "script" they've been provided).

Offshore or onshore, training is critical for good support.  Some of the offshore support I got from Microsoft was the best I ever received.  These people were thoroughly trained.  Of course I'd like to see Americans being employed by American companies, but I would not criticize support on the basis of whether they are offshore.

Vladimirovich

« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2013, 05:12:05 pm »

No really true. Still asks you for a CC App handler to install and oversee it.

dear, if you are not capable to do something that does not mean that is not possible  ;D ...

Vladimirovich

« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2013, 05:15:59 pm »

Absolutely clueless. This is what you get when you offshore tech support to people who aren't really all that familiar with computers and software (beyond the "script" they've been provided).
PS: you are "on shore", but it seems clueless how to install stuff w/o "CC App handler"  ;) ... get a mirror

AFairley

« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2013, 06:33:08 pm »

PS: you are "on shore", but it seems clueless how to install stuff w/o "CC App handler"  ;) ... get a mirror

Instead of dumping all over the OP and showing off your superiority, wouldn't your time be better used just telling him how to do the install?  It certainly would make the forum a more pleasant place, and you'd still be showing that you're right.  Which was the whole point of your post, no?

petermfiore

• Peter Fiore Fine Art
« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2013, 07:45:33 pm »

I concur.

Peter

fdisilvestro

• Frank Disilvestro
« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2013, 09:32:37 pm »

Vladimirovich already did. Just follow (read all before doing anything) the instructions in the page he referred (you will be able to download the installer without the CC App handler):

After you download the file(s) corresponding to your OS, start the installer. The first step will just unzip the downloaded installer (the file you could then use in your other computers) Then you go to the folder where you unzipped the files and selec Set-up
In the first screen you can select the location (drive / folder) where you want the program installed.

Pages: [1]   Go Up