Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: New Camera from Samsung  (Read 987 times)

RFPhotography

New Camera from Samsung
« on: June 20, 2013, 07:23:19 pm »

I know this will probably be ridiculed by most people here, but Samsung is doing some interesting things.  Last week they announced a P&S using the Android OS that finally encompassed talk functionality, giving people a true, pocketable single device (assuming we discount cell phone cameras as less than adequate at all times - I don't).  Today they've announced an APS-C mirrorless that also works on the Android OS and has 4G/LTE wireless connectivity.  It's pretty full-featured too.

http://www.dpreview.com/previews/Samsung-Galaxy-NX/

Edit:  guess this probably should have been posted in the Compact System section.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2013, 07:29:19 pm by BobFisher »

bcooter

Re: New Camera from Samsung
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2013, 01:24:57 pm »

I know this will probably be ridiculed by most people here, but Samsung is doing some interesting things.  Last week they announced a P&S using the Android OS that finally encompassed talk functionality, giving people a true, pocketable single device (assuming we discount cell phone cameras as less than adequate at all times - I don't).  Today they've announced an APS-C mirrorless that also works on the Android OS and has 4G/LTE wireless connectivity.  It's pretty full-featured too.

http://www.dpreview.com/previews/Samsung-Galaxy-NX/

Edit:  guess this probably should have been posted in the Compact System section.

I don't think anyone, amateur or professional can discount any camera anymore.

We have 18mpx cell phones, soon they'll improve and there is a whole cottage industry of third party support for these "pocket cameras".

It's an electronic world and I expect to see more companies try to carve out new territory.

The only thing that throws me about the Samsung camera, (nearly all digital cameras for that matter) is how closely they resemble each other.

Cameras stil seem to be in a 1984 form factor and I don't believe they have to be like this anymore, just like I believe format is less relevant that results.

I get a kick out of the resurgence of retro look film cameras like the fuji series, that are far from analog.

I'm not saying they don't have a place, I just wonder when we will have a 30 mpx I pad, or I phone that has zoom lenses, true high def video and image stabilization.

IMO

BC

RFPhotography

Re: New Camera from Samsung
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2013, 06:28:27 pm »

And that's why I posted it, because it's so difficult to ignore any new offering that does something a bit different.  WRT the form factor, I'd have to guess that they found something that works, so why mess with it.  Personally, I'm not all that chuffed with the spate of retro-design offerings based on design.  I am intrigued by the quality, via APS-C sensors that are being put into these small bodies though.
Pages: [1]   Go Up