Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: A Meditation Fit For A Solstice  (Read 2119 times)

WalterEG

A Meditation Fit For A Solstice
« on: June 20, 2013, 06:18:26 pm »

This stunning video is one single real-time shot, with no manipulation whatsoever.  The camera was placed on a hillside over 2 kilometres from the Lookout point, and was shot with the equivalent of a 1300mm lens. 

The amount of planning, trial and error, and luck that went into this are mind blowing.  He has been trying to capture this for over a year with many failed attempts.  But this time it seems everything was on his side, and it all came together in a way even he couldn't have hoped.

It is hard to say enough good things about this video - from the magnitude of the visuals, to the intimate stories playing out with the people, to the sheer humbling nature of seeing the awe-inspiring reality of this giant rock in the sky that we so often don't stop to appreciate.

One thing I encourage you to do is watch this on the biggest screen you have - don't waste it on an iphone screen.

Druids and mortals alike, enjoy ....

W

Chairman Bill

• flickr page
Re: A Meditation Fit For A Solstice
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2013, 06:47:57 pm »

A bit weird watching the moon rise anti-clockwise, but fascinating nonetheless

WalterEG

« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2013, 07:12:33 pm »

The old saga of the bathwater down the drain Bill.  It is all arse about face down here.

Cheers,

W

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2013, 07:27:29 pm »

As impressive as it is, there is a little bit of a hindsight bias, as in: "What's a big deal here? Anyone with a similar equipment could have done it." As a matter of fact, isn't something similar already done by Peter Lik in his Bella Luna photograph?

WalterEG

« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2013, 07:39:23 pm »

Slobodan,

For me it is a timely clip for this special day in the year more than a 'great image'.

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2013, 09:02:41 pm »

Walter, I did not mean to diminish the accomplishment or significance, but to point out the existence of the hindsight bias, i.e., once we see how it could be done, we (erroneously) assume it could have been done all along.

As an aside, I remember that Peter Lik's Bella Luna was decried by photographers as fake. I do not posses enough information or experience in that field to argue one way or the other, but I am just curios if this video gives some credibility to what Lik did.

WalterEG

« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2013, 10:24:32 pm »

Slobodan,

Be assured that I did not think you were attempting to diminish the clip.

Somehow Ifeel that this clip and the depth of field shown makes the debate about the Likshots all the more relevant.  But who cares, really?  Is Lik concerned with accuracy or marketability?

Cheers,

W

Rob C

« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2013, 05:59:43 am »

Amazing bit of work; wasted opportunity, though: dancers instead of gawpers...

Did you notice the disappointed bomber with the immense backpack just before the moon cleared the base? All that waiting for the perfect moment to explode and go out in his blaze of glory, and nada: he just had to exit viewer's right.

Oh well, can't win 'em all. Should have gone the Duracell route instead; then he'd have rocked the Moon!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K-DkyMXTo5Q

;-)

Rob C
« Last Edit: June 21, 2013, 09:31:49 am by Rob C »
Pages: [1]   Go Up