Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Adding an additional copy of LR5 to my new laptop  (Read 4566 times)

DThomas

Adding an additional copy of LR5 to my new laptop
« on: June 20, 2013, 06:04:05 pm »

I've been unable to find anything on the Adobe website on this although I understand the additional copies are available to licensed users such as myself.  Can someone point me in the correct direction?
Thanks for any help you can give,  DThomas

Box Brownie

• Engram Photography
Re: Adding an additional copy of LR5 to my new laptop
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2013, 06:24:54 pm »

If you are asking about the EULA and the terms maybe this will answer your question

Link to the EUAL  http://labs.adobe.com/technologies/eula/lightroom.html

and the part that says it?

2.4 Portable or Home Computer Use. The primary user of the Computer on which the Software is installed may install a second copy of the Software for his or her exclusive use on either a portable Computer or a Computer located at his or her home, provided the Software on the portable or home Computer is not used at the same time as the Software on the primary Computer

HTH :)
A collection of mine here http://500px.c

Steve House

« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2013, 07:14:57 pm »

I've been unable to find anything on the Adobe website on this although I understand the additional copies are available to licensed users such as myself.  Can someone point me in the correct direction?
Thanks for any help you can give,  DThomas
Just install from the copy you currently have using the same product key.  You don't need to obtain a fresh copy.

pluton

« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2013, 04:26:44 am »

I made the mistake of ordering LR5 from Adobe, who's website showed only download versions of LR5 available.  LR5 then appeared a couple days later on retail sites as a hard optical disc copy.
When I went to download a second copy to my laptop, it assumed I wanted the 30-day trial, even after I entered my new, fresh, paid-for serial number.

Box Brownie

• Engram Photography
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2013, 07:24:12 am »

I made the mistake of ordering LR5 from Adobe, who's website showed only download versions of LR5 available.  LR5 then appeared a couple days later on retail sites as a hard optical disc copy.
When I went to download a second copy to my laptop, it assumed I wanted the 30-day trial, even after I entered my new, fresh, paid-for serial number.

Hi

I am slightly confused by what you say???  AFAIK anytime you launch an installed trial version of LR it asks whether you are trialling or want to buy or have a serial number.  It does not ask at the point of download.  Also why bother to download  a 'second copy' just burn a CD or DVD of installer you downloaded to start with (or copy it to a USB drive) and use that to install it on the laptop :)

For the record I downloaded, installed started the 30 day trial but in the meantime I ordered the DVD retail version from Amazon UK and once I received that I used the serial number on the package to "license" my downloaded trial.

So can I ask the obvious?  Is the version you downloaded the "upgrade" version............if so did your desktop PC have the previous version already installed but the laptop does not??? If that is the case then you will need that older version serial number as well to install it on the laptop ;)

Incidently, my desktop PC does have the older versions and as part of the serial number entry it automatically found the serial number of the older version and pre populated the fields.

I hope that helps but if not please describe step by step what you purchased and what steps you took to install
A collection of mine here http://500px.c

Steve House

« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2013, 07:36:57 am »

It's unclear what you did here ... did you try to install the downloaded file using a key from a physical boxed retail version?  

The same downloaded file is used for the trial version and the licensed version, whether the trial version or the full version is installed depends on the key you provide when you run the installer.  I rarely buy retail boxed software any more if it's also available by download, there's just no point.  I download the file to an archive folder on an external hard-drive. A 1 or 2 TB USB drive holds hundreds of downloads and takes up far less shelf space for storage than the equivalent retail boxed DVDs.  Since I back up my drives there's as much security against loss as there is with a physical optical disk. I also copy the email message with the receipt and serial number into the same folder for safe keeping.  If it's an upgrade version I also put the email with the serial number of the version I'm upgrading from in the same folder or I record it in a text file that I create in Notepad.  When you install the software, run the download to unpack it, run the installer, when it asks tell the installer you have a full-version key and enter it.   To install on a second computer after you've done the first one, all you need to do is unplug the drive from the first computer, plug it into the second, and repeat the install.  I've never had an issue with this where a trial was installed when I provided a proper key, including installations on more than one computer.

DThomas

« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2013, 11:24:54 am »

Thank you all for the helpful responses.  I received some relief in finding out that I wasn't the only one a little confused on the process of adding additional copies of LR.  What I did to resolve the issue was to log onto to Adobe.com, signed in to my account, looked up my order for LR5 which showed the download button.  Logged into the laptop, I downloaded LR5 and was asked to the product key.  This was shown on the order history on my account page.  I then entered key and was informed that this was an upgrade so I need the key from an earlier version.  As my account was still open I looked up the earlier order for LR4 and entered that key.  With that LR5 was activated and is running well, but complaining about the lack of RAM on the laptop.  Did I figure this out on my on?  No, I called Adobe Support, left a message and my phone number.  5 minutes later a nice young woman called me back and walked me through it on the phone.  Who knew that tech support could be so efficient!

Dave
Pages: [1]   Go Up