Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: A question for Eric Chan about DNG flat field plug-in  (Read 4419 times)

Rand47

A question for Eric Chan about DNG flat field plug-in
« on: June 20, 2013, 04:10:55 pm »

Hi,

I just re-watched the LuLa LR4 video demonstrating the DNG Flat field plug-in, and understand that the files must be DNG to work.

Situation:

- My question is based on using the Flat field plug-in with my Sigma DP Merrill cameras.  
 - LR currently does not support the conversion of Sigma RAW files for these cameras.
 - I export my Sigma files from their SPP software as 16 bit tiff files and import into LR.
 - LR won't "convert" the tiffs directly to DNG in the Library drop down function.

Can I:

- Export the tiffs as DNG and then re-import them into LR for use with the DNG Flat field plug-in?
- This would be for both the reference image(s) and the images to which I want the plug-in applied.

Will that work, or is something lost in the process that the plug-in needs?

Eric?  Jeff?  Michael?  Other Guru?

Rand
« Last Edit: June 20, 2013, 05:14:37 pm by Rand47 »
Rand Scott Adams

Vladimirovich

Re: A question for Eric Chan about DNG flat field plug-in
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2013, 05:37:27 pm »

try this one = http://thepluginsite.com/products/metaraw/

allegedly it will convert .x3f to .dng

Rand47

« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2013, 12:18:39 pm »

Eric must be busy with LR5.01 fixes!   ;D  I ended up answering my own question.

I shot a test image, and shot a reference image for FF plug-in on my DP2 Merrill camera.
I used Sigma SPP 5.5 to get the RAWs into 16 bit tiff files.
I imported tiffs into LR, and then immediately exported as DNG.
I then took those DNGs into the FF plug-in and it worked fine (apparently - no hiccups, and the final image showed obvious differences).

For those of you wondering why I'd go to all this trouble, it is because the Foveon sensor is sometimes (not all the time - don't ask me to explain because I have zero idea) prone to putting either a magenta cast in skies, or a blue-green cast, OR it sometimes looks almost as though there is a very light magenta blob in the photo.  Happens rarely, but when it does it is very difficult to correct in LR or CS6, as it is not "uniform."

Preliminary tests show that using the FF plug-in does a dandy job of fixing it!  More testing will confirm.   My intention is to shoot reference shots on every outing for a while at my various landscape working apertures.  When I see the "magenta effect" appear on any of those shoots, I'm going to tag the reference image for that use.  Hopefully, I can come up with 3 or 4 reference image files to use when I occasionally get the "magentas" in a Merrill file.

Thought this might be of interest to some of the DP Merrill-istas here on LuLa.

Rand
Rand Scott Adams

Rand47

« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2013, 05:27:34 pm »

Well, I've now done enough testing to demonstrate that it is a wrong-headed approach on my part.  Ultimately it isn't about "light conditions" (at least any that are "capture-able" with a reference shot).  It is about the sensor's reaction to some lighting conditions.
It was worth a try at least.

Rand
« Last Edit: June 24, 2013, 06:11:12 pm by Rand47 »
Rand Scott Adams
Pages: [1]   Go Up