Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Raw converter for IIQ Phase One files, Only 1 other option?!!  (Read 20936 times)

Phil Indeblanc

I'm looking to see if there are any raw developers that support IIQ files.

So far of all the ones I've tried (Dxo, AfterShot Pro, Photivo, ACDSee Pro, And a few others I have tried)    only LightRoom supports it.

Whats the deal??!
If you buy a camera, you're a photographer...

Kabraxis

• www.kabraxis.de
Re: Raw converter for IIQ Phase One files, Only 1 other option?!!
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2013, 10:41:22 am »

Hi Phil

For normal IIQ Files are developed in Capture One. The Reason is pretty easy, the get the best out of your files and it is 100% Freeware für Digital Medium Format Backs. Just Download the Demo Version and when the Registration shows up, press DB-Version only. You will find the Demo here: http://www.phaseone.com/en/Imaging-Software/Capture-One-Pro-7.aspx

Best Regards
Pascal

Phil Indeblanc

« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2013, 12:41:14 pm »

Hi Kabraxis,

Thanks for the reply.  I use C1 DB and Pro. I forgot to mention the obvious :-)
The way it handles files is intrucive to the workflow. As much as I love it, it cripples our workflow with the way it handles files and creates folders when working on files.

I need an alternate.  Many converters can develop many sensors. Phase One can only be used to capture by C1, and developed only by C1 or Adobe LR.
Being the leading MF DB in the world, someone would think users would have options.

Why doesn't DxO step up to this (without Lens support)?

Vladimirovich

« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2013, 01:48:50 pm »

Why doesn't DxO step up to this (without Lens support)?

it is a way too tiny market to serve... 

Phil Indeblanc

« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2013, 10:52:33 pm »

How small can it be? They are the largest almost exclusive digital back maker (Hass and Sinar are small market).
The sales side is a percentage. There is an additional significant rental market of users that need software to process.

Tejpor

« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2013, 01:18:35 pm »

I believe RawTherapee supports it.

torger

« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2013, 09:02:50 am »

Yes rawtherapee supports it, but you need to add "iiq" extension in the preferences.

In addition there are problems with missing color matrices for many of the Phase One models (easy to fix!), and it cannot currently read iiq files generated by the Leaf Credo backs.

If you have a specific back and you want it to work with RawTherapee and it won't currently I can probably help you out with getting a patch included. I'm using a Leaf back myself and added features to better support .mos files in it.

RawTherapee is not as fast an as intuitive as the commercial programs, but otherwise very competent piece of software, it's my favourite raw converter for my "serious" landscape despite I have both Lightroom and Capture One.

Phil Indeblanc

« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2013, 04:08:34 pm »

Thank you so much! A P25. It may already work with it.  I'm just trying to keep the sw at a minimal. Already I have 4-5 almost always open. Another rawDev maybe taxing...but I will check it out. If I remember the last time I used it last year, the interface is very different and , yes not as user friendly as the commercial dev sw.  But maybe the interface has a future direction for adapting to ease of use? :-)

torger

« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2013, 02:20:09 am »

Thank you so much! A P25. It may already work with it.  I'm just trying to keep the sw at a minimal. Already I have 4-5 almost always open. Another rawDev maybe taxing...but I will check it out. If I remember the last time I used it last year, the interface is very different and , yes not as user friendly as the commercial dev sw.  But maybe the interface has a future direction for adapting to ease of use? :-)

Yes, we're trying to make it a bit easier to use, but it's not a fast process. The upcoming 4.1 release (real soon now) will have improvements in IIQ format support, and will also run a bit cleaner on Mac.

As an open-source software it's not only about making software for the users, it's also for the enjoyment of the developers that devote their free time to it, which means that we get new exciting algorithms tried out and that there may be several algorithms that solve the same problem in different ways. In a commercial software one would be picked and the others thrown away. The large number of tools is what make it a bit hard to navigate in for a new user.

We're step-by-step removing really redundant stuff and fix naming and improve tooltips etc, but RT is never going to be as user-friendly and streamlined as say Lightroom. RT is more direct and analytical, you have total control in the whole process from raw to output and that concept we do not intend to change even if it makes the program a bit harder to use. For some specific things RT is easier than many of the commercial softwares though, flatfield correction for example.

Phil Indeblanc

« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2013, 03:27:15 am »

Imagine another group of open source developer/designer group working on a overlay interface to make it all goo-wee friendly? :-)

Fine_Art

« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2013, 02:15:29 pm »

You can do stuff fairly fast in RT that is impossible in other raw converters. That is only going to get better.  ;)

For example the blue distance haze of this image was fairly easy to neutralize (after finding the right spots on the curves) using the lab b channel. I tried to get a similar look in DxO 9 , not a chance, it is just not going to happen. The closest you can get is by temp adjustment that leaves you with yellow sky or blue trees.

Phil Indeblanc

« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2013, 01:45:38 pm »

Nice.

I'm actually using it. Before I had confused the RT name with Photivo which is very hard to use, but RT is rather familiar and I just can't see myself suffer with LR cataalog lock in workflow. Way too slow.
So RT and a good DAM maybe the way to go for me.  Now I do use LR for the eliptical gradiants and brush exposure. I like LR for some added features, but not major issue as a main raw developer.

JV

« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2014, 01:36:45 pm »

No personal experience but the latest version of Iridient Developer 2.3.2 now also seems to support Phase One IQ backs:

New RAW camera support includes:
Nikon: Df
Pentax: K-3
Olympus: Stylus 1
Phase One: IQ280, IQ260, IQ260 Achromatic, IQ160 and IQ140.
Nokia: Lumia 1020
Blackmagic: Pocket Cinema Camera

Pages: [1]   Go Up