Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Is the new version stable now (Mac)?  (Read 5645 times)

jeanvalentin

Is the new version stable now (Mac)?
« on: June 20, 2013, 11:56:04 am »

Hi,

When 7 came out I installed it and had only problems (both sessions and catalogs). I had to uninstall it and go back to 6. Since there were a couple updates since then, is the software stable now? I am on Lion (10.8.4). Have any of the users that had problems, install the new version and everything is OK?

Thanks,
Valentin
Best,
Valentin

tho_mas

Re: Is the new version stable now (Mac)?
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2013, 03:33:14 pm »

I am running C1-7 pro pretty much trouble-free since version 7.0.1 (with sessions, not with catalogues).
I feel 7.1.2 was a major step in terms of stabilty... and in the only recently released 7.1.3 version P1 seem to have fixed some (minor) issues again (at least crash after quitting the software seemed to be fixed). Currently I am on OS X 10.8.3.

Make sure to make a clean uninstall of older Capture One versions: https://captureintegration.com/uninstalling-capture-one-4-on-mac/
The last chapter in the blog is critical: delete all older proxies (*.cop and *.cof files) prior to installing the new C1 version.
I would also recommend not to open on older sessions (sessions containing settings of former C1 versions that is)... but if you need to you should first try a session with only a few captures in it.
Finally I would recommend to set the image preview size (preferences, third tab) to a lower size (1024 or so... depending on your display and workflow).

Colorwave

• Colorwave Imaging
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2013, 08:06:53 pm »

Rock solid for me on a Mac with 10.8.4. v7 has been trouble free from the beginning, IME, so I may not be the best judge of whatever problems you were dealing with being fixed.
-Ron H.
[url=http://colorwaveimaging.com

The View

« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2013, 01:00:04 am »

I wish the download servers were better.

Come on - 75 minutes download times (during which I can't allow my computer to go to sleep) for a 350 Mb package?

Who has the time? I'm skipping this mini-update.
The View of deserts, forests, mountains. Not the TV show that I have never watched.

jeanvalentin

« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2013, 01:07:02 am »

Thanks. It's weird how some people are fine and others have problems.

I did the clean install (that's how I always do it) when v7 came out. That didn't help. It was crashing all the time.
Best,
Valentin

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2013, 02:48:03 am »

Thanks. It's weird how some people are fine and others have problems.

I did the clean install (that's how I always do it) when v7 came out. That didn't help. It was crashing all the time.

Hi Valentin,

People with different hardware will experience different issues, if any. Probably mostly GPU related issues seemed to cause those initial  issues.

Version 7.0 also crashed on occasion on my Windows machine, but since the first updates it has been stable and some other issues have been resolved. Only you can test the updates of the software on your hardware, which you apparently haven't done. You can't reasonably expect others to know how the software interacts with your particular hardware. You'll have to try it yourself, and the image quality improvements make it worth the effort ...

Cheers,
Bart
== If you do what you did, you'll get what you got. ==

ario

« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2013, 03:06:45 am »

I had initially problems only on one of my Mac, and they were clearly attributable to having OpenCL enabled (on the other Mac everything was fine also with OpenCL). After some OS update, which presumably improved the card divers, everything went fine on both machines.

jeanvalentin

« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2013, 09:55:04 am »

...You can't reasonably expect others to know how the software interacts with your particular hardware. You'll have to try it yourself, and the image quality improvements make it worth the effort ...

Cheers,
Bart

Hi Bart,

Obviously, but since there were many that had problems (I wasn't the only one) I asked "Have any of the users that had problems, install the new version and everything is OK?". Most that did have them, were on Mac.

Best,
Valentin
Best,
Valentin

nik

• Nick Vasilopoulos Photography
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2013, 11:43:05 pm »

Me too. Why not use Akamai or another CDN service to help with download speeds? Or Hosting on Amazon like Luminous Landscape does for their downloads?

As an alternate, I always look at https://captureintegration.com/category/capture-one-tips-and-trick/

They usually have it posted as soon as PhaseOne do.

7.1.2 seemed to bring more stability. 7.1.3 seems fine, speed is better, so is tethering. No upgrade / install issues.

-N
« Last Edit: June 25, 2013, 11:45:16 pm by nik »
Pages: [1]   Go Up