Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 7.1.3 forced back to catalogs!  (Read 5813 times)

narikin

7.1.3 forced back to catalogs!
« on: June 20, 2013, 09:02:55 am »

I just updated to 7.1.3 from 7.1.2 and as its such a minor update, am surprised and annoyed to find all my session workflow has been wiped out, with memory of favorites etc, as have my tab settings (the choices I had added to the 'Quick' adjustments tab for example). I have to start over again rebuilding my setup. Very frustrating.

I've spent nearly half an hour online listening to dull videos on the usefulness of catalogs, which I do not wish to use. I cannot for the life of me figure out how to start a session. File> New session command does not exist anywhere I can see.

Phase - please - many of us are happy with Session structure, you should not be forced to Catalogs on a minor dot-dot update, and you should not loose your desktop setup on a minor bug fix and extra camera support.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2013, 09:56:53 am by narikin »

narikin

Re: 7.1.3 forced back to catalogs! UPDATE BEWARE!
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2013, 09:09:50 am »

Ok, I'm back working. mostly.

It seems to install some kind of restricted trial version or something when updating. (Why??)

Had to go into my C1 account, find the right licence code - I have many codes going back years - and activate with that. 

When C1 re-opens now it does give the Session option, which reattaches my old favorites etc. But my Quick tab has still disappeared and needs rebuilding.

An annoying update all round Phase. Update with caution!
« Last Edit: June 20, 2013, 09:28:35 am by narikin »

Doug Peterson

• http://www.doug-peterson.com
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2013, 09:35:28 am »

Yep, no worries, sounds like you accidentally activated it as Capture One Express (or a trial of Capture One Express).

Capture One 7.1.3 Pro is just like 7.1.2 and previous versions of 7, just faster processing, new camera support, some bug fixes, and...

A beta version of the ability to import LightRoom Catalogs!  ;D I'd treat it as what it is: a beta of that feature (backup everything first, play around to see what it's like, don't expect to use it in a production environment yet).

narikin

« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2013, 09:40:10 am »

That may be the case Doug, but I simply updated it from the Phase website and launched the update.

I certainly did not 'choose' C1 express or a trial version.

narikin

Re: 7.1.3 forced back to catalogs!
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2013, 04:59:16 pm »

Still struggling here with activation/ deactivation.

If I do anything like launch C1 with a CF card in my USB3 reader, it thinks its on a different computer and de-activates the licence. which is VERY annoying.

Capture One - please get your act together. It is not acceptable to have to reactivate twice a day.

David Grover / Capture One

• Capture One
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2013, 06:17:49 pm »

Still struggling here with activation/ deactivation.

If I do anything like launch C1 with a CF card in my USB3 reader, it thinks its on a different computer and de-activates the licence. which is VERY annoying.

Capture One - please get your act together. It is not acceptable to have to reactivate twice a day.

Have you contacted support?
David Grover
Business Support and Development Manager

gdh

• https://www.facebook.com/Gallery833-Fine-Art-in-Redding-160225810674500/
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2013, 02:59:25 am »

Mine went through the activation routine twice, each time I'd enter the code, then it would freeze up my Mac Pro w/ OSX 10.7.5. I took it off my computer and then reinstalled 7.1.1 from archives and worked fine.

I'd be very careful about downloading and using 7.1.3, if at all.

narikin

« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2013, 09:42:13 am »

Phase/Capture One seems VERY fussy on its software security, they have set it to think that anything changing on your system = attempted fraud, and de-activate it.  

This level of 'security' might be ok for the normal person with a one unchanging desktop, but photographers are not like that - we are always plugging in high capacity CF cards (64Gb, 128Gb) memory sticks, (I have 128gb and 64gb USB3), extra hard drives and backup externals come and go all the time. Its part of our process. Duh.

But... if you install C1 with any of these on there, like a 64Gb USB stick, it will think it smells a rat if its *not* there the next time it starts, and de-activates itself, or switch you to trial mode.  Its extremely annoying and really smart of Phase - they should look at this more reasonably, given their clientele, and lower the 'system changes' security settings.

David - Yes I requested support, and got it, but they just suggest the usual deactivate and re-activate routine.  Its a silly and annoying hiccup for a minor release update. I would recommend people avoid it.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2013, 09:44:05 am by narikin »

Rhossydd

• http://www.paulholman.com
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2013, 05:47:32 am »

A beta version of the ability to import LightRoom Catalogs!  ;D I'd treat it as what it is: a beta of that feature (backup everything first, play around to see what it's like, don't expect to use it in a production environment yet).
Can't see that mentioned in any documentation. How does it work ?

Later; It doesn't on Windows :(
« Last Edit: June 30, 2013, 04:04:23 pm by Rhossydd »

Doug Peterson

• http://www.doug-peterson.com
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2013, 02:37:31 pm »

Info on the Lightroom catalog import:
https://digitaltransitions.com/blog/dt-blog/import-lightroom-catalog-into-c1-beta

--

Re activation/deactivation: while I agree it should not be required on a minor update...
1) It's not - you just caught some strange combination or bug that required it. Of the 20 or so updates I've overseen (by phone, email, or doing personally) none have required it.
2) You're talking about a process that requires less than a minute. Annoying perhaps, but of no consequence an certainly not a reason to not update.

Phase supports the software-ownership model (rather than monthly rental) and allows online access to your list of licenses, and the ability to remotely reset your activations yourself whether you have access to the activated machines or not. That's one of the more customer-friendly schemes I've seen.

That said I, again, do agree you should not have had to reset your activation after the update. Your support case (thanks for making one) will insure additional testing is done specific to that kind of bug.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2013, 02:39:58 pm by Doug Peterson »
Pages: [1]   Go Up