Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Carvoeiro, Algarve, Portugal  (Read 1490 times)

Paulo Bizarro

• http://www.paulobizarro.com
Carvoeiro, Algarve, Portugal
« on: June 20, 2013, 04:05:50 am »

A couple of weeks ago I went with the family to spend a weekend near the small village of Carvoeiro, in Algarve. I am not very attracted to the region as whole, because throughout the years construction has ruined the place (it is probably the tourist hot spot in Portugal - sun, beaches, good food, wine, beer, and so on, you get the drift. Not my cup of tea...).

Anyway, there are still some isolated spots in the region where you can get a flavour of what it used to be before the "development" kicked in 30 or so years ago. Carvoeiro is one some small village. To get there, you can take the side roads and go across the "Serra Algarvia", a region so remote it makes you wonder you are in another country altogether. These are rough hills, with isolated small villages, well worth visiting.

The trip was mostly "family time", so I packed only my EOS 60D and my newly acquired EF 28 2.8 IS lens, travel tripod, polarizer, and GND filters. The first photo is overlooking the Arade dam, where we stopped for lunch. The second photo is a panorama (3 photos taken on the horizontal) of the village of Carvoeiro, with its small beach.

Kind regards.

francois

Re: Carvoeiro, Algarve, Portugal
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2013, 04:51:17 am »

Two very nice captures. I especially like the panoramic photo but I'd like to see a bit more sky (in fact, more breathing room).
Francois

Paulo Bizarro

« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2013, 05:57:39 am »

Thanks. Indeed I shot a second panorama with the camera vertical, for a total of 16 photos. In the end, it has a bit more of sky and sand. I will try to post it later.

francois

« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2013, 06:18:30 am »

Thanks. Indeed I shot a second panorama with the camera vertical, for a total of 16 photos. In the end, it has a bit more of sky and sand. I will try to post it later.

Paulo,
You could also add some sky using Photoshop. I'm looking forward to your vertical panorama.
Francois

Rajan Parrikar

• Rajan Parrikar
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2013, 03:10:25 pm »

Paulo,

The pano is very nice and may look even better in softer light.

mseawell

• Mark Seawell's Photo World
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2013, 05:41:38 pm »

Two good captures! I like the panorama the best and I'm not bothered by the lack of sky. If they sky has no interest why show it?

Mark

Paulo Bizarro

« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2013, 05:55:47 am »

Here is a second version of the panorama, 16 vertical shots. It does have a bit more breathing room, but it also has some "intrusive" stuff on the bottom. If I crop it out, I end up with a similar result as the first panorama...

As for softer light, this was shot very early in the morning, when the first light starts hitting the houses. The day before the sky was overcast, making the colours less interesting. In the evening, the sun is right in front, so that is a no-go.

Regards

francois

« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2013, 06:07:07 am »

Here is a second version of the panorama, 16 vertical shots. It does have a bit more breathing room, but it also has some "intrusive" stuff on the bottom. If I crop it out, I end up with a similar result as the first panorama...

As for softer light, this was shot very early in the morning, when the first light starts hitting the houses. The day before the sky was overcast, making the colours less interesting. In the evening, the sun is right in front, so that is a no-go.

Regards

Paulo,
I like this one a lot better than the first one. The intrusive stuff [not sure what it is exactly] at the bottom is a problem but it's very dark. The problem I had with your first image was that the houses were almost touching the frame of the photo and you improved on that point with this last version.
Francois

Paulo Bizarro

« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2013, 04:36:18 am »

Thanks François. The intrusive stuff is a tree that is growing on the path leading down to the beach.

MTGFender

« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2013, 12:03:55 pm »

Paulo...The 2nd one is fantastic! Pramote
Pages: [1]   Go Up