Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7   Go Down

Author Topic: Adobe Photoshop CC Pirated in One Day?!  (Read 32046 times)

john beardsworth

• My photography site
Re: Adobe Photoshop CC Pirated in One Day?!
« Reply #60 on: June 25, 2013, 10:45:57 am »

you just do not charge for them, so revenue recognition is very simple...
Only if you're (blissfully) ignorant of accounting practice.

gbillett

« Reply #61 on: June 25, 2013, 02:24:37 pm »

'Is Lula more corporate? Not sure, at least not yet'

Has flashing ads and a Publisher who needs to earn his keep   :o
Geoff Billett
www.geoffreybillettphotography.co.uk
www.spanishcivilwarphotography.co.uk

Author From Earth to Air   and Gateway to Nirvana
Photographs from Andalucia and the 2013 Kumbh Mela

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #62 on: June 25, 2013, 02:32:58 pm »

Has flashing ads and a Publisher who needs to earn his keep   :o
Maybe, but I never see them!

Glenn NK

« Reply #63 on: June 25, 2013, 05:44:59 pm »

CATIA is alive and kicking ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CATIA )

Alive and kicking is not the same as dominance.

I've been a structural engineer (still practicing) since 1966, have used CAD drafting extensively since 1983, have a structural engineer son that works with architects - they all use AutoCad.  I'm one of the very few that doesn't, but my program is compatible with AC.

Glenn
Economics:  the study of achieving infinite growth with finite resources

Vladimirovich

« Reply #64 on: June 25, 2013, 06:11:41 pm »

Alive and kicking is not the same as dominance.

it dominates its intended market... as for autocad... raw converters in cameras (firmware) dominate anything adobe makes 100:1 or more.

Vladimirovich

« Reply #65 on: June 25, 2013, 06:14:42 pm »

Only if you're (blissfully) ignorant of accounting practice.
do you have something to say about accounting practice and LR ?

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #66 on: June 25, 2013, 06:59:55 pm »

do you have something to say about accounting practice and LR ?
Only that your comment displayed your ignorance of the former.

chez

« Reply #67 on: June 25, 2013, 07:03:42 pm »

Seems to be a lot of hate for Adobe - I'm wondering if we could move on and get over with the snits already?

Glenn

Totally agree. Everyone said their piece, now to focus on photography and not how easy it is to develop software.

Vladimirovich

« Reply #68 on: June 25, 2013, 08:23:49 pm »

Only that your comment displayed your ignorance of the former.
so tell me how Adobe accounting lives with both license models at once for LR and can't live with both license models for PS/ACR ?

chez

« Reply #69 on: June 25, 2013, 09:57:31 pm »

so tell me how Adobe accounting lives with both license models at once for LR and can't live with both license models for PS/ACR ?

Does it really matter? Adobe can choose whatever method of payment they like. You choose either to accept their terms or move on. Continually arguing about the why's and why nots is totally pointless noise.

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
« Reply #70 on: June 25, 2013, 10:03:13 pm »

Does it really matter? Adobe can choose whatever method of payment they like. You choose either to accept their terms or move on. Continually arguing about the why's and why nots is totally pointless noise.

It is obviously pointless noise seen from Adobe's perspective, but it is reasonably useful for those sharing our agenda, which focuses on having as many photographers as possible joining our movement aiming at supporting alternatives of Photoshop.  ;)

Cheers,
Bernard

chez

« Reply #71 on: June 25, 2013, 10:54:40 pm »

It is obviously pointless noise seen from Adobe's perspective, but it is reasonably useful for those sharing our agenda, which focuses on having as many photographers as possible joining our movement aiming at supporting alternatives of Photoshop.  ;)

Cheers,
Bernard

Bernard, if this thread was truly about supporting alternatives in a positive way, then I am all for it. This thread is all about bashing Adobe...once again. People just got to let it go.

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #72 on: June 26, 2013, 01:28:05 am »

Most likely, materiality. Also you probably aren't aware that more than one revenue (and cost) recognition policy can co-exist, or that a company can change or reinterpret its policies to reflect the underlying business, though for good reasons that is not a trivial undertaking.

And whether or not you choose to believe it, it would take a massive reorg to change the accounting runs to allow incremental new features to be added to a perpetual license model.
If you know a bit about the area (and Jeff's been on the wrong end of a lecture on Sarbanes Oxley compliance) that's a fair summary, and not the "fiction" of your over-simplified view.

John
« Last Edit: June 26, 2013, 02:50:35 am by johnbeardy »

Vladimirovich

« Reply #73 on: June 26, 2013, 10:55:31 am »

Most likely, materiality. Also you probably aren't aware that more than one revenue (and cost) recognition policy can co-exist, or that a company can change or reinterpret its policies to reflect the underlying business, though for good reasons that is not a trivial undertaking.

great, they do this for LR so they can do that for another product (say PS/ACR)... because they already have everything in place... and then whether you call a piece of code a new feature, a bug fixing or a routine maintenance is purely game of words and is up to the company... for example supporting a non traditional CFA... you call it a routine maintenance, I call it a new feature...

Vladimirovich

« Reply #74 on: June 26, 2013, 10:58:03 am »

look @ M$ - it was forced to change their approach... and what you (or "Schewes") are saying that is exactly what "Adobe" hopes for (that people will shut up)... if you do not like to read the noise, move on... 

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #75 on: June 26, 2013, 11:56:21 am »

great, they do this for LR so they can do that for another product (say PS/ACR)... because they already have everything in place... and then whether you call a piece of code a new feature, a bug fixing or a routine maintenance is purely game of words and is up to the company... for example supporting a non traditional CFA... you call it a routine maintenance, I call it a new feature...
Don't jump that far - you're heading over to Enron territory. It's certainly not a game of words or up to the company! There are a mass of legal restrictions, the auditors to convince, the tax authorities, investors etc. You'd be expected to disclose deviations from existing policy to the auditors, for example, and the bigger their financial impact, the louder the alarm bells and the tougher the questions. But that said, it's simplistic to say that the revenue recognition policies stopped them moving to as-ready feature releases within a perpetual licence model. They would have been compelled to significantly change their policies and compliance systems/culture to reflect the reshaped business. For a single product that isn't easy, while for a big chunk of your product range it would have been costly and tortuous, and it would have been one argument against as-ready releases while continuing perpetual licences. But one argument, and only if they had ever wanted to go that way.

Sorry if that's convoluted. There's a lot of grey between your "simple as that" and Jeff's original "they were prevented", and the truth is close to the "huge difficulties" that he talks about now.

chez

« Reply #76 on: June 26, 2013, 12:20:11 pm »

look @ M$ - it was forced to change their approach... and what you (or "Schewes") are saying that is exactly what "Adobe" hopes for (that people will shut up)... if you do not like to read the noise, move on... 

Vlad, I actually love reading these meaningless rants...provides light entertainment for me. Keep it up...summer TV is kind of slow.  :D

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #77 on: June 26, 2013, 12:24:28 pm »

So long as you don't enjoy my explanations of accounting practice, fine - because that would be worrying.

Vladimirovich

« Reply #78 on: June 26, 2013, 01:36:36 pm »

Don't jump that far - you're heading over to Enron territory. It's certainly not a game of words or up to the company! There are a mass of legal restrictions, the auditors to convince, the tax authorities, investors etc. You'd be expected to disclose deviations from existing policy to the auditors, for example, and the bigger their financial impact, the louder the alarm bells and the tougher the questions. But that said, it's simplistic to say that the revenue recognition policies stopped them moving to as-ready feature releases within a perpetual licence model. They would have been compelled to significantly change their policies and compliance systems/culture to reflect the reshaped business. For a single product that isn't easy, while for a big chunk of your product range it would have been costly and tortuous, and it would have been one argument against as-ready releases while continuing perpetual licences. But one argument, and only if they had ever wanted to go that way.

Sorry if that's convoluted. There's a lot of grey between your "simple as that" and Jeff's original "they were prevented", and the truth is close to the "huge difficulties" that he talks about now.

it is not convoluted - we all know that the only reason for "subscription only" is to improve revenue... the rest (difficulties to maintain a code, accounting issues, etc, etc) is just smoke & mirrors...

Vladimirovich

« Reply #79 on: June 26, 2013, 01:36:58 pm »

Vlad, I actually love reading these meaningless rants...provides light entertainment for me. Keep it up...summer TV is kind of slow.  :D
yawn... get a mirror, Che.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7   Go Up