Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Moving existing ink cartridges: Canon 6300 to 6400  (Read 1012 times)

Danny Burk

• www.dannyburk.com
Moving existing ink cartridges: Canon 6300 to 6400
« on: June 19, 2013, 04:20:34 pm »

I've just replaced my Canon ipf6300 with a 6400, thanks to an unfixable banding problem (long story), and have a few questions for anyone who may be familiar with transferring existing ink cartridges from the 6300 to the 6400:

1) Naturally, I want to use the existing ink in the new printer. Most cartridges are 60-80% full, but a few show 20%. Given that it takes a fair amount to fill the lines at setup, is it better to begin with the new starter cartridges (for those colors presently showing 20%) rather than use the old inks and then additionally have to install the new starters if the old ones run out during setup?

2) If I don't use the old "20% remaining" cartridges during setup, can I still use them later, or will they become dried out?

3) If I sell the old printer for parts (it works fine other than very slight banding on solid patches of dark grey), do I need to purge its ink via "Move Printer", even though I'm going to pull out all of its ink cartridges?

4) I very recently replaced both print heads on the 6300, which didn't solve the banding problem. Is there a way to rescue and store them, perhaps resealing them, or is that another $850 down the drain?

Thanks!
Visit www.dannyburk.com for image galler

I.T. Supplies

Re: Moving existing ink cartridges: Canon 6300 to 6400
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2013, 10:19:58 am »

Danny,

1- If you have more than half of the inks in the 6300, you can use those inks in the new model to initialize.  The initializing processes uses about 15-20% (while a portion of that is still within the lines to the print head).

2-  You can still use them later.  If you take them out and don't use them for a few days in the new printer, just put a piece of tap on the hole of the cartridge so it doesn't get air inside while not being used.

3- You may need to purge the ink so it doesn't start leaking from the movement (if it's not staying upward upon moving).

4- The print heads may not be usable after you already filled them upon replacing, but it could be wrong.  The best think is to verify that with Canon to be safe.
800-423-2366 is their customer service dept.

Hope this helps answer your questions.

Atlex.com

Danny Burk

• www.dannyburk.com
Re: Moving existing ink cartridges: Canon 6300 to 6400
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2013, 10:56:50 am »

Thanks much for your response - very helpful!
Visit www.dannyburk.com for image galler
Pages: [1]   Go Up