Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: Sigma DP2 Merrill Experiences-2  (Read 86718 times)

palpman

Sigma DP2 Merrill Experiences-2
« on: June 19, 2013, 08:02:50 am »

This year I attempted to thru-hike the Pacific Crest Trail. Unfortunately, 700 miles in I had to quit because of a stress fracture...

I took the DP2M for this trip, as the landscapes in the desert are foveonic, and overall I'm not disappointed. I have had a few problems in some shots though, I'm not sure if it's because of motion blur (even at 1/125 s, all my pics are handheld shots, and sometime it was very windy) or maybe I was too much in a hurry sometimes and pressed the button too soon before the focus was locked. Also, I may have been too stubborn with 100 ISO shooting - actually up to 800 ISO the DP2M performs well IMO, and it's better to have a little bit of noise instead of motion blur, at least it is manageable... Anyways, it is definitely a camera that has a certain learning curve and I'm still learning how to use it properly. The Merrills are actually a good school to learn proper photography: in a way they are unforgiving but that forces you to take better pictures at first place by being more methodological and patient. I have to be more patient.

Still, I have taken the DP2M on a 6-week backpacking trip in Southern California, I'm not an experienced photographer, so this camera might not be as silly as some would say. What I mean it that the DP2M is actually an easy camera to operate, because it is simple, and although it has some flaws (I think of battery life and speed), it is perfectly possible to use it in any conditions. It only requires some effort to get familiar with this "alien" camera. I'm not a "chain gun" shooter, I used to take only about 30 pictures per day. So it was possible for me to last a whole week with 3-4 batteries and recharge them in town stops. And for longer stretches, I used the battery pack/SAC-5 with and USB cable system - which worked great, although the cable was sometimes annoying.

Here are a few samples (any comments are welcome, help me improve!)

MrSmith

Sigma DP2 Merrill Experiences-2
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2013, 02:52:58 pm »

Great set of images.

juan_amores

Re: Sigma DP2 Merrill Experiences-2
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2013, 06:18:43 am »

Some pics from Ronda (Malaga, Spain).

_SDI0954 por John Loves, en Flickr

_SDI0956 por John Loves, en Flickr

_SDI0957 por John Loves, en Flickr

_SDI0955 por John Loves, en Flickr

palpman

« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2013, 12:15:27 pm »

Here are a couple of stiched panoramas examples, handheld, works pretty well with the Merrill:

juan_amores

« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2013, 07:26:17 pm »

Very nice panoramas, especially the first!!

juan_amores

« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2013, 05:35:41 am »

A few more from Málaga.

_SDI0998 por John Loves, en Flickr

_SDI1001 por John Loves, en Flickr

_SDI1008 por John Loves, en Flickr

palpman

« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2013, 05:46:10 am »

Thanks juan,

Here's another one:

EDIT: BTW, if you right.click and then choose "view image", the image is displayed at a higher resolution.  ;)

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2013, 10:01:19 am »

Japan, Hakuba.

Cheers,
Bernard

allegretto

« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2013, 10:05:13 am »

are any of these HDR'ed?

If not, stunning DR in some of those shots

palpman

« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2013, 10:18:27 am »

No HDR here my friend :) This camera is definitely special!

neways

Sigma DPM Trio shootout on a photo workshop trip
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2013, 03:57:38 pm »

As a travel and landscape photographer I always try to take the best equipment I have to get the top quality images. But unfortunately they are also the heaviest on my back. With the new technology of the digital photography I managed to reduce the weight wile still keep the comparable image quality from 4x5 view camera to medium format digital back and finally to Canon 5D Mark III. I never thought I will shoot anything lighter than that until I found the incredible Sigma DPM series. I first bought the DP2M, then DP1M, and just acquired DP3M to complete the system. The more I shoot with these little wonders the more I get hooked with the resolution and unique Foveon look on the images.

Last month I got a chance to really challenge the trio on a Photo Workshop in China. As a leader of the group I know I can't concentrate 100% on shooting myself, so for the first time in my professional career I left my pro gear at home and only took the three Sigma DPMs. My main goal on this trip was to shoot candid shots of the workshop participants. I already know the superior quality of these little gems but I was still a little bit worried their capability to replace my trusty DSLR completely on this 14 days international photo tour. Well, now I am back and processed some of the images I shot there and I can say the trio made it very well! The images produced by them are gorgeous! I share a few with you guys here and let me know what you think.

Now I am so glad I will hike much longer trails and climb much higher mountains with these feather light cameras!

Thanks,

John

« Last Edit: June 23, 2013, 04:02:37 pm by neways »

billh

« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2013, 08:06:44 pm »

I like every photo posted on this page, and can imagine each of them being a favorite of someone, but the last two by neways are special beyond what I’ve come to expect by looking at the DP M images. 

I understand exactly what you mean by the wonder of carrying a small lightweight camera this capable. Many of us can remember carrying 4 x 5s (or larger), loading film folders in hotel bathrooms at night, or medium format cameras with heavy lenses like the Rollei 6008. I love the quality of the D800E, but after noticing Reed Reports referring to the images as being engraved with a razor blade, and seeing myriad posts by Hulyss and others, I rented the DP2M and DP3M. I used the DP3M twice as much as the DP2M, but ordered the 2M because I wanted to use it for one event along with the D800E and a long lens. It looks like small, high image quality cameras are the wave of the (near) future. Probably a good thing for us older guys!

allegretto

« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2013, 08:16:07 pm »

truly amazing stuff

just wondering if I should wait for Sigma Foveon 2.0

palpman

« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2013, 05:15:20 am »

Excellent stuff, neways.

There is definitely something special with these cameras, something unique that no other digital camera has. It's like another dimension, things are more life-like. IMO this technology is the first to compete with film.

juan_amores

« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2013, 10:33:25 am »

These are fron Huelva (Spain)  ;)

_SDI1015 por John Loves, en Flickr

_SDI1016 por John Loves, en Flickr

_SDI1023 por John Loves, en Flickr

_SDI1017 por John Loves, en Flickr

_SDI1044 por John Loves, en Flickr

_SDI1048 por John Loves, en Flickr

_SDI1052 por John Loves, en Flickr

palpman

« Reply #15 on: June 28, 2013, 04:21:51 pm »

The rendering of the water in the 2 first shots is a reason why I like the Foveon look that much.

juan_amores

« Reply #16 on: July 11, 2013, 11:10:23 am »

And now from Sierra Nevada (Spain)  ;)

_SDI1071 por John Loves, en Flickr

_SDI1073 por John Loves, en Flickr

_SDI1075 por John Loves, en Flickr

_SDI1087 por John Loves, en Flickr

3-4-tuuut

« Reply #17 on: July 12, 2013, 12:23:34 pm »

@Juan: Nice pix and thanks for posting! This thread, unlike the old one, seems quite dead.

Andrija Boljevic

« Reply #18 on: July 17, 2013, 08:21:45 am »

As a new owner I'm in the snapping away like crazy phase just to see what I get.  There are great images in this thread, but it sure is kinda dead.  Here's a few while going to the local DAV at the American Legion. Having had a stroke some years ago, I can't hand-hold a camera worth a darn.  I didn't have a tripod with me.  On the locomotive images, I had to rest the camera on top of the surrounding fence and while balancing myself.

« Last Edit: July 17, 2013, 08:41:49 am by A. B. Bolganin »

Andrija Boljevic

« Reply #19 on: July 17, 2013, 09:19:21 pm »

The DP2M has me out of the Lurkers closet.  A few more... I notice that Firefox is pretty much accurate in displaying the images.  I'm hoping to post more often.  In that regard, any comments would be appreciated.  And its been really sunny and hot the past 5-6 days in the Chicagoland area. If the images look bright, it reflects the lighting at the time.

BTW, the alley photo is the rear of the local American Legion in Hammond. You enter the DAV from that side.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2013, 09:38:09 pm by Andrija Boljevic »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Up