Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Doing a search?  (Read 1735 times)

Kanvas Keepsakes

Doing a search?
« on: June 19, 2013, 02:07:53 pm »

I've been trying to use the search option for this board to research questions I have which probably have already been answered.  If I search for
rolling or spraying
I get results for ANYTHING that has the word coating OR spraying so I get 30 pages of results. 

If I wanted to search for "spraying or rolling" how would i do it so I only get results with BOTH rolling or spraying in the results?

John.Murray

• Images by Murray
Re: Doing a search?
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2013, 02:49:12 pm »

search result are by topic  - try advanced search; press enter in the search box and select advanced.....

EduPerez

• Edu Pérez
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2013, 04:12:51 am »

My personal experience is that search engines in most of the forums I visit are useless; so I use Google instead.

Just in case you do not already know about it, Google has a mechanism to restrict a search to a specific site: all you have to do is add "site:your-site-here" to the search bar; for example, to search for "coating" or "spraying" here, I would go to Google and type "site:www.luminous-landscape.com/forum coating spraying". You are not likely to find less pages using this method, but I find Google's page-ranking mechanism very useful.

Hope this helps.

Kanvas Keepsakes

« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2013, 01:55:31 pm »

Thanks Edu! 

aduke

« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2013, 02:49:05 pm »

In the search box, I entered "+rolling +spraying" (without the quotes) and got 3 pages of results, seemingly with both terms.

This is pretty common behavior for search engines.

Alan

mguertin

« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2013, 10:51:38 am »

I've been trying to use the search option for this board to research questions I have which probably have already been answered.  If I search for
rolling or spraying
I get results for ANYTHING that has the word coating OR spraying so I get 30 pages of results. 

If I wanted to search for "spraying or rolling" how would i do it so I only get results with BOTH rolling or spraying in the results?

Entering (with the quotes!) "spraying or rolling" will search for that exact term, if that's what you're looking for.  I just tried and this returned about 7 results (mostly from this thread but there were others).  From the help tab above you can get the specifics on how search works:

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/forum/index.php?action=help;page=searching

And yes, I have to agree that forum search engines are not the greatest, especially if you need to search for a lot of acronyms, in those cases I also recommend turning to google and using the site: limiter.
Pages: [1]   Go Up