Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: ALPA FPS - 32HR arrived :)  (Read 6646 times)

gerald.d

ALPA FPS - 32HR arrived :)
« on: June 19, 2013, 08:39:09 am »

Hi all -

I've been looking forward to this lens for a few months now, and it's finally arrived so I thought I'd share a pic.

The 32HR on the new FPS mount :

The "hooks" are on the lens mount itself.

Will be doing some shooting later in the week :)

There's also a new mount adapter so that you can use this lens on the "classic" ALPA 12 cameras.

Regards,

Gerald.

Grischa Rueschendorf

Re: ALPA FPS - 32HR arrived :)
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2013, 11:29:44 am »

I am considering the mount change for my 32, 40 and 70 HRs myself
Can I ask you:
- how does the adapter look like at gets the AlpaFPS mounted lens onto the Alpa12 camera? Can you post a pic?
- do you know how much this adapter costs
- have you gotten your regular LB or SB lens refitted to get the FPSmount, if so how much does that cost. I can't seem to get the pricing from Alpa saying its coming in July

I am wondering if it's worth getting all 3 lenses changed to fit the FPS and Max.

Any other thoughts you have on the FPS? There seem to be very few out there and it makes me wonder if this is becoming a game changer in the tech camera world.
I could really see a fully Intergrated focal plane shutter tech camera with Rodenstock/ Schneider lenses without copal shutters and the need for all these adapters.
The latter seems rather daunting given the 6, 11 and 17 mm spacers needed for the various configurations to achieve infinity with and without a tech cam as a go- between.
What are your thoughts on this?
Thanks

gerald.d

« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2013, 12:20:43 pm »

I am considering the mount change for my 32, 40 and 70 HRs myself
Can I ask you:
- how does the adapter look like at gets the AlpaFPS mounted lens onto the Alpa12 camera? Can you post a pic?

Basically, you want to attach an FPS lens to a "regular" 12-series camera, the adapter has no hooks.

Attach a regular SB lens to the FPS, you need an adapter with hooks on front and back.

Attach a regular SB lens to a regular camera, you need an adapter with hooks on just one side.

- do you know how much this adapter costs

This will depend on where you are and local taxes. I suggest you contact your dealer.
- have you gotten your regular LB or SB lens refitted to get the FPSmount, if so how much does that cost. I can't seem to get the pricing from Alpa saying its coming in July
I'm not sure about pricing either, but I'm definitely looking to get my 70HR remouted.***
I am wondering if it's worth getting all 3 lenses changed to fit the FPS and Max.
Personally, I think it's worth it. My 50HR and Schneider 210 are 34SB, so they're fine as they are (I have the FPS TS adapter), so it's just the 70HR I need doing.
Any other thoughts you have on the FPS? There seem to be very few out there and it makes me wonder if this is becoming a game changer in the tech camera world.
For me, it's the best camera in the world :) The possibilities are endless.
I could really see a fully Intergrated focal plane shutter tech camera with Rodenstock/ Schneider lenses without copal shutters and the need for all these adapters.
The latter seems rather daunting given the 6, 11 and 17 mm spacers needed for the various configurations to achieve infinity with and without a tech cam as a go- between.
What are your thoughts on this?
Thanks
Once you get your head around it, the adapters necessary for each type of lens are pretty easy to understand, once you realise a "normal" 12-series camera counts for 11mm.

SB34 - you need 17mm of adapter(s). This can be done with a 17mm FPS adapter, or a 12-series camera + the 6mm adapter.
SB17 - you need the lens mounted in FPS mount. If you want to use the FPS lens on a regular 12-series camera, you need the special 11mm adapter.
Canon - just the Canon adapter.
Mamiya - the Mamiya adapter + 11mm (you can use a 12 series camera or the 11mm adapter).
Zeiss/Hassy - the Hassy adapter + a total of 17mm of adapters.

Regards,

Gerald.

/edit
*** Apologies - missed this first time around. My lens is a brand new lens in this mount, not an existing lens modified. I believe I have the first one that was made.

« Last Edit: June 19, 2013, 06:02:11 pm by gerald.d »

Grischa Rueschendorf

« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2013, 07:18:08 pm »

Thanks Gerald
Much appreciated.
You mentioned mounting a regular SB mounted lens to the FPS requires an adapter with a hook on one side ,but can you still reach infinity in that combo?
I got the 40HR in SB and my understanding is that I have to change it so there are hooks ons the lens itself like your 32HK in FPS mount.

Also for shooting in vertical orientation the whole camera needs turning unlike just turning the digital back do you find that awkward given the long size to mount / hold e camera in vertical orientation?

I am personally interested in the options I have using an electronic shutter in combination with a tech camera, have you done this yet ( assuming you got any of the Alpa offerings) I wonder how manageable such a frankencamera becomes once a Max is interfaced with the FPS .
In any case happy shooting . I am based in China and all all the necessary modifications don't seem to be available as of now. But I strongly consider it

gerald.d

« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2013, 07:29:13 pm »

Hi Grischa -

SB34 lenses can be mounted on the FPS with 17mm of FPS adapter.

SB17 lenses can't be mounted on the FPS and reach infinity focus - that's the problem the new mount solves.

I've got two Arca-Swiss plates on my FPS. One for portrait, and one for landscape orientations. Works just fine.

I've shot with my FPS and the Max (plus the 6mm adapter) a few times. It's a very useful combination when doing a horizontal single row panorama (panning the head) and you want to shift the horizon. Example - http://05.ae/Panoramas/index.html#Marina.jpg

Kind regards,

Gerald.

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2013, 07:29:42 am »

Gerald:

Congratulations on a great lens.  I was also curious, since you are using it on the FPS, what settings do you use on the lens for shutter speed and aperture?  I am assuming you just move the lever on the aperture which locks it wide open.  But what do you do with the shutter speed on the copal shutter?  I would assume you want to take advantage of the more advanced and feature rich shutter on the FPS.

Thanks
Paul Caldwell
Paul Caldwell
Little Rock, Arkansas U.S.
www.photosofarkansas.com

gerald.d

« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2013, 12:40:31 pm »

Hi Paul -

On the FPS, you ignore the shutter on the lens itself. Set the aperture you want, disengage the shutter with the lever (this doesn't leave the aperture wide open, but in fact sets it at whatever you've set the aperture on the lens), and use the focal plane shutter in the camera.

Regards,

Gerald.

DanLindberg

• Dan Lindberg Photography
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2013, 03:22:31 pm »

Looking great Gerald  :)

Most probably the best wide on full size sensor.
Alpa FPS & MAX & SWA & TC | SK 28XL | SK 35XL | SK 72L | SK 90N | SK 120N | Leaf Aptus II 5 & Leaf CREDO 60
http://www.danlindberg.com
https://www.facebook.com/danlindbergphotography

vjbelle

« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2013, 12:29:45 am »

I will have my FPS this Saturday.  Alpa will be able to retrofit my 60mm Schneider to fit the FPS directly just like the Rody 32.  I will then have my 60, 100 and 150 to use on the FPS.  Those three lenses constitute about 98% of my shooting.  The retrofit for my 60mm will not be available until this fall.... but I still have my STC so all is not lost.

Victor

gerald.d

« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2013, 01:39:03 am »

I will have my FPS this Saturday.  Alpa will be able to retrofit my 60mm Schneider to fit the FPS directly just like the Rody 32.  I will then have my 60, 100 and 150 to use on the FPS.  Those three lenses constitute about 98% of my shooting.  The retrofit for my 60mm will not be available until this fall.... but I still have my STC so all is not lost.

Victor

Congratulations Victor - it's an amazing camera :)

ALPA website has now been updated with details on the 32HR FPS and the new mount adapter -

http://alpa.ch/en/products/lenses/exclusive-alpa-rodenstock-lenses/rodenstock-alpa-hr-alpagon-4_0-32mm-sb17-for-alpa-12-fps.html

Regards,

Gerald.

vjbelle

« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2013, 07:34:00 am »

Weight wise its very close to my STC which I would never give up.  I'm considering a Rody 50mm SB.  It has some advantages for my system integration but I am absolutely thrilled with my Schneider 60mm.  The Rody would be usable on the FSB immediately while the Schneider has to wait until Fall.  Another new adventure.....

Victor

Grischa Rueschendorf

« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2013, 08:47:35 am »

Hi Victor
Does the fall time frame also affect Rodenstocks?
I am trying to get my 32,40and 70 HRs retrofitted over the summer holiday and still wait for a quote from Alpa
I don't want to wait until later
Do you by any chance know how much this costs to move from LB to SB FPS ? And how long does this take?
Thanks
Grischa

vjbelle

« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2013, 09:46:36 am »

According to the email from Alpa that my dealer forwarded to me the new lenses with FPS mount will be available by end of 3rd quarter at the latest so I'm figuring end of September by the latest.  The lens lineup will then be Alpagon 32,40,50,70 and Schneider 60 and 75.  I have no idea what the cost will be to convert..... actually I just converted my 60 to SB so that I could use tilt on my STC..... go figure.... and that cost me $550.00 plus shipping back and forth.

Victor

narikin

« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2013, 06:37:50 pm »

Yes, the FPS is an oddity on the Alpa body line up in regard to the mounting of lenses: all other Alpa bodies have 'hooks' (attachment locks) on both sides of the body. The FPS just has them on just one side. I believe this is because of Alpa's wish to have the FPS able to function as a stitching-shutter (term?) when joined to a Max or STC.  If the FPS had hooks, it could not mate with the back of the Max/STC which already has hooks of their own. You can't mate hook with hook, obviously.

For this reason, the 17mm spacer for using SB lenses on a FPS needs to have hooks on both sides, to join a plain SB lens barrel to the plain front of the FPS. As OP shows with the 32HR here, Alpa is now beginning to release lenses that will attach direct to the FPS on a 17mm barrel with hooks built in. This new mount is, I feel, a good thing, as it means the FPS concept can move forward without the complication of spacers: FPS body meets lens, directly.

Whether Alpa were right to prioritize the FPS being able to function as a stitching adapter for cameras like Max/STC, rather than a stand alone body, is a question each of us would answer differently according to our needs. It meant the hooks/barrel complication outlined above, and the unusually elongated body shape, but it did maintain Tech Cam stitch/ shift movements with a Focal Plane Shutter. YMMV. Hopefully a compact version of the FPS will come out eventually, which will be of interest to the straight shooting TC/WA/SWA type users, and open this new FP territory up much more.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2013, 06:41:16 pm by narikin »

Grischa Rueschendorf

« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2013, 07:42:41 pm »

I think it was a brilliant move to come up wotu a comcept  to integrate tech cams and lenses into the FPS concept. At least for me it made me starting to think about the possibilities an Electronic shutter does have in combination with a pancake camera.
BTW how do you see a compact FPS version implemented technically?
The way I see the future is to get rid of the coral shutter in the lenses that would make them around 1000USD cheaper and come up with an integrated focal plane shutter built into the Alpa camera live up. Mounting issues with shorter lens barrels  s.a. The 23 HR could be solved with recessed lens boards

Just an idea.
Pages: [1]   Go Up