Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Help with issues I'm having with LR5  (Read 3584 times)

crabby

• MICHAEL CRABB
Help with issues I'm having with LR5
« on: June 18, 2013, 10:57:14 pm »

So far I have encountered 3 bugs, issues, quarks, problems since upgrading to LR 5. I didn't notice any of these issues with the beta. I think they may all be somehow related to the fact that I store all my files on an external hard drive array. This is all on an iMac quad 2.8 w/max ram running os x 10.8.4 with my library on my local ssd.

First, I wasn't getting the lightning bolt under the histogram for files that were PV 2010, but there was an icon there that said "file missing" where it should say "original photo" even though all my files were there and fully functioning. Also I tried making smart previews and it said smart previews were already made even though they were not and there was no icon for it. I seemed to have fixed this problem by running Disk Warrior on the HD. Those little icons are as the should be and making smart previews works properly.

Quark #2-If I delete a file from within lightroom (as I should) I get the proper popup window asking "Delete from Disk, Cancel, or Remove from Catalog". When I hit Delete from Disk I get another popup stating "Files are on a volume that does not support Trash. Would you like to permanently delete them." As if the files where stored on a network drive.

Quark #3-I exported a jpg file to Photoshop to work on and saved when finished. The file did not reimport back into LR5. At least not that I can find. I can see it on the HD right next to the original. I tried manually importing the file but LR will not allow it thinking it is already there. I tried all the different sorting methods and search in LR and making sure all stacks are expanded all filters are off. I need to get this file back into LR to finish.

Rendezvous

• Daniel Talbot Photo Blog
Re: Help with issues I'm having with LR5
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2013, 11:37:30 pm »

I'm also having the same message when deleting files.

ario

« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2013, 01:51:39 am »

Here is the possible explanation and the solution.
http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-13727_7-10357452-263.html
Sometime emptying the trash and dismounting the volume is enough to solve the problem. (I had it a few times also with LR4)

richarddd

• flickr photostream
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2013, 08:08:13 am »

Quark #3-I exported a jpg file to Photoshop to work on and saved when finished. The file did not reimport back into LR5. At least not that I can find. I can see it on the HD right next to the original. I tried manually importing the file but LR will not allow it thinking it is already there. I tried all the different sorting methods and search in LR and making sure all stacks are expanded all filters are off. I need to get this file back into LR to finish.
Usually, when I'm having similar issues, it's because I'm looking at imported photos or a single folder rather than the whole library (all photos).  The file is in LR, but is not showing because it's not in the part of the LR library that's being displayed.

crabby

• MICHAEL CRABB
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2013, 08:52:35 am »

Thanks Arlo, I did empty the trash and dismount the hd to no avail. I will contemplate running the command line stuff in terminal. I may try running the utility program Onyx first which probably does the same thing.

As for my quark #3, I found the file. Apparently when I exported to PS, LR for some reason created another version of the HD with the exact same name and a folder within of the same name as well. I now have two "Archive Drive 4" Hard Drives listed under Folders in LR. If I try to drag n drop the file into the original folder it says it already exists, which of course it does. I just can't get at it from there.

There seems to be some real file handling issues for me with LR 5 and/or OSX 10.8.4 which also just came out recently. I am having issues across different hard drives.

crabby

• MICHAEL CRABB
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2013, 09:39:41 am »

More wierdness from quark #3

I tried removing the folder under the 2nd version of Archive Drive 4 which then removed that version of the HD as expected. Then tried to reimport (Copy) that one image back into LR5 which worked but again it created a 2nd version of the HD with a second version of the subfolder. So I removed it again and tried synchronizing that folder. The folder contains 1314 images. The syncronize pop-up said I have 1314 new photos, and 1313 missing photos to remove. I kept all boxes checked including show import dialog (which it did not do) and after copying the folder to a second location, hit OK. Now LR again created a 2nd version of the HD with one subfolder containing all 1314 images.

crabby

• MICHAEL CRABB
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2013, 11:07:54 am »

Here's another inconsistent oddity. If I crop an image and do some lens correction such as apply a lens profile and some manual corrections and do not have the constrain to crop box checked because the cropping is already well within the lens corrections, then advance to the next image and hit the previous button, all the previous corrections apply except the crop. I have tried this procedure on another machine with no issue. I have run all the utilities mentioned above on this problematic machine and hard drives (if it is the machine) and repaired permissions etc.

crabby

• MICHAEL CRABB
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2013, 12:11:23 pm »

More abnormalities, now from the printing module. I am printing a bunch, all the same, so far 2 times out of 8 it flipped the image and printed in portrait mode when it is set for landscape. I am working off of a print template I made, and check the page setup and print settings each time. Each time this has happened so far, I would just flip the sheet and try again without changing anything and it would print fine.

Also I had one print with these weird color bars at the bottom (or left side as it was printing) see image below. Again, printed another one with out change and it printed correctly.

These gremlins are driving me to drink. Everything I try with LR5 has inconsistent hiccups. I don't know if I should hope these are bugs that will get corrected with a .01 update or if my LR software is corrupt just don't let it be my library.

redbastard

« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2013, 09:26:04 am »

I'm having the exact same issue when editing 2 jpg files as photoshop layers. After finishing the edit and closing the file from photoshop (with layers not flattened) the file doesn't appear next to the original image... But it put's it in a virtual duplicate of the same named folder where the original files are, and no joy importing back into the original folder as it already exists! Synchronisation doesn't work either and if I export the folder as a catalogue the edited file is missing.

But if I move the folder with all the images to the desktop and then update the folder location in LR5, the missing edited image appears in the right place! So now it seems as though if your working from a subfolder in LR5 it gets confused (although it's a subfolder in the finder).

Although it's not fixed, this seems to work for now!  ;D
Pages: [1]   Go Up