Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: E-P5 AF with older 4/3 lenses?  (Read 4884 times)

gerafotografija

• gerafotografija.wordpress.com
E-P5 AF with older 4/3 lenses?
« on: June 18, 2013, 03:35:23 pm »

Has anyone tried the E-P5 with older Olympus high grade lenses? Is it the upgrade solution E5 DSLR owners have been waiting for?

Vladimirovich

Re: E-P5 AF with older 4/3 lenses?
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2013, 03:49:35 pm »

Has anyone tried the E-P5 with older Olympus high grade lenses? Is it the upgrade solution E5 DSLR owners have been waiting for?
nothing is really different... you need PDAF (on sensor or fixed mirror in adapter) to be able to focus sufficiently fast w/ 43 lenses

gerafotografija

• gerafotografija.wordpress.com
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2013, 06:20:37 pm »

Thanks, didn't realize that. I wonder what they have in the works then. They seem to make some promises in trade shows or interviews in Japan about an upcoming solution.

Vladimirovich

« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2013, 07:15:06 pm »

Thanks, didn't realize that. I wonder what they have in the works then. They seem to make some promises in trade shows or interviews in Japan about an upcoming solution.
they can for example sell E-7 to 43 diehards  (E-5 + Sony 43 sized sensor + EM5 sensor stabilization + etc)... that will be still a nice upgrade for those who have E-5 with old 12mp Panasonic sensor

AFairley

« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2013, 08:31:09 pm »

The rumor sites seem to be talking about a single body that will take both full 4/3 lenses and m4/3 lenses without an adapter.  (I can't quite figure that out, myself.)  The general consensus is that the "pro" OM-D coming in the fall will be able to use the old 4/3 lenses without a focusing speed it, that may mean on-sensor PDAF.  We'll see.

BJL

« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2013, 08:40:51 pm »

The rumor sites seem to be talking about a single body that will take both full 4/3 lenses and m4/3 lenses without an adapter.  (I can't quite figure that out, myself.)
Nor can I: it seems based on wishful thinking rather than evidence.
The general consensus is that the "pro" OM-D coming in the fall will be able to use the old 4/3 lenses without a focusing speed it, that may mean on-sensor PDAF.  We'll see.
This part is better supported by actual statements from Olympus about a future body that will properly support the high grade Four Thirds SLR lenses. With Sony and Olympus having publicly said that they are collaborating on photographic gear as well as medical devices, on-sensor PDAF seems a reasonable hope.

rothberg

« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2013, 02:54:01 pm »

I am using the 150 mm f2.0 on my OMD all the time and it works great.  The lens is very sharp.  With the OMD you can hand hold the 150 (it's big but not huge like the 300).  If you use a shutter speed above 1/250th you can get away without a tripod,  I use a monoipd a lot.  The 7 14 is useful on the OMD and easily hand holdable. The 300 doesn't work as well (it hunts a lot) but on a tripod, manually focused, the files are visibly better than the files from the E-5 (a newer generation sensor, 16MP vs 12MP)

The lenses are wonderful, if BIG, HEAVY and very well built. The E-5 is not a bad camera, just long in the tooth and the OMD is a much better camera.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2013, 02:56:46 pm by rothberg »
Pages: [1]   Go Up