Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: new wagner hvlp  (Read 8059 times)

mstevensphoto

• Denver Commercial Photographer
new wagner hvlp
« on: June 18, 2013, 02:01:02 pm »

My controlspray hvlp is giving up after two years of good hard work. I feel I've more than gotten my money out of it given the initial cost and use/abuse it's been through. Yesterday in home depot I see the new(ish) Flexio 590 and it's looking pretty nice, anyone using one to spray canvas? anyone compare it to the control spray?

Kanvas Keepsakes

Re: new wagner hvlp
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2013, 05:02:21 pm »

Good question.  I'm interested as well.  Hopefully someone's used this one before. 

Ken Doo

• Carmel Fine Art Printing & Reproduction
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2013, 07:49:49 pm »

Usually a good hot water cleaning and brushing is all you need to do occasionally to get the Wagner hvlp going again----and replacing the air filters.  The problem with the Flexio 590 is the same as the hvlp Wagner Control Spray:  the filter intake is on the gun itself, closer to the spray area, so the filters clog more easily, and need to be replaced regularly. But at a whopping $1.79 for replacement filters, who can complain?  I do like the Flexio 590 claims of having more options/control over the spray and power.

If you're going to stick with Wagner, I'd suggest going with something like the Wagner hvlp Control Spray Plus:  http://www.gleempaint.com/wagner-control-spray-plus.html    The air intake and filters can be kept further away from the spray area, and is a bit more powerful as well.  It can also use the old control spray parts and attachments.  It's hard to ignore the low price point of the Wagner hvlp system.  The Flexio 590 would be better if the motor and filters were separate, which also lightens the weight of the gun---nice when doing a lot of canvas.

Otherwise, I'd look at the Fuji Mini Mite 3....

ken

Kanvas Keepsakes

« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2013, 08:04:15 pm »

I'm so upset at myself for having a $700 compressor about 5ft tall given to me at no cost . . . and STILL not being able to find that HVLP sweet spot with my Harbor Freight gun.  I keep on salivating over the Fuji when I have all the tools at my disposal for a good spray.  Every time I mess up I always want to blame the gun. 

BobDavid

« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2013, 08:19:53 pm »

Harbor Freight—that's your problem.

Ken Doo

• Carmel Fine Art Printing & Reproduction
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2013, 08:43:59 pm »

I was about to say---my guess is that the problem is your hvlp gun is from Harbor Freight.

Look at the overall cost of the Fuji Mini Mite, and then price out what the cost of the Fuji hvlp gun is alone----which should give you an idea of cost/investment and performance/return on a better hvlp gun.

ken

darlingm

• Westland Printworks
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2013, 10:50:22 pm »

I love my Harbor Freight gun actually... Once I started running it quite a bit above it's maximum rated PSI.    :-\

Don't try this at home, viewer results may vary.
Mike • Westland Printworks
Fine Art Printing • Amazing Artwork Reproduction • Photography
http://www.westlandprintworks.com • (734) 255-9761

Kanvas Keepsakes

« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2013, 11:02:39 pm »

I was saying that because of all the people on here praising that HF gun and how well it works.  Geezus $300+ for Fuji gun alone.  I guess I might just make the investment.  Better than all the headaches this other gun has caused me

Roscolo

« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2013, 02:47:28 pm »

I ditched the Wagner in favor of this one from Harbor Freight. Paired it with an 8 gallon compressor also from Harbor Freight. Total cost about $130. Spray everything that needs a coating with it: canvas and liquid laminate on gloss or satin photo paper. Flawless. Perfect sprays every time for me. Wish I had found it sooner.

http://www.harborfreight.com/20-oz-8-cfm-gravity-feed-spray-gun-67181.html

John Nollendorfs

« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2013, 02:57:01 pm »

Nothing wrong with Harbor Freight products. Usually it's a matter of user error, and not knowing how to use them. I've been using the cheapest HB spraygun ($15) now for a couple of years. Works fine, but occasionally it has hick ups because a port get's clogged, or I have not strained the paint. Or I've accidently turned the knob from fan to round. You have to learn how to use this stuff. Maybe that is why the Fuji keeps getting grand reviews, it doesn't need much expertise in adjustments????

mstevensphoto

• Denver Commercial Photographer
« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2013, 06:38:28 pm »

I'm eyeballing the flexio for a couple reasons, one is definitely the spray pattern options. also, reviews seem to say it can spray paint which is off topic here, but would be nice around the house.

I wouldn't touch harbor freight. their stuff is so lacking in quality control you never know if you have something good or crap. the stuff I was all excited to get hardly gets used because it lacks the features I want/expect (e.g. stapler with no depth control, gotta do that by regulating air pressure).

I despise wagner paint sprayers, but the hvlp has been a dream. 

Kanvas Keepsakes

« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2013, 03:33:47 pm »

Rosco, what PSI do you have shooting through the gun?

Roscolo

« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2013, 03:55:17 am »

Rosco, what PSI do you have shooting through the gun?

45-50 psi. May have turned it up as high as 70-90 psi when I was trying to get it just right, but it works best for me right around 45 psi

John Nollendorfs

« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2013, 05:02:54 pm »

I use 45-55 also! And it seems perfect for stapling with Harbor Freight stapler also! ;-)
Pages: [1]   Go Up